• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

Hockey out west was having issues then like the GTHL, they established the CSSHL (?) someone correct me if I’m off and now they’re sprouting prospects. Iirc tuition is $50K - $60K

Hockey out west was having issues then like the GTHL, they established the CSSHL (?) someone correct me if I’m off and now they’re sprouting prospects. Iirc tuition is $50K - $60K
depends on program but at least 25 if you commute, 45 if billet. That was the main reason Mrs Count wouldn't sign off on Jr. going to one.

There's a looooot of problems with hockey in Quebec. I just don't know if the main problem is the cost or the bureaucracy.

Apparently sports-études in the high schools might become a thing. People are are looking for options other than sending their kids to the US.

Apparently sports-études in the high schools might become a thing. People are are looking for options other than sending their kids to the US.
When you have Jocelyn Thibault resigning from his position as the head of Hockey Quebec, and basically saying publicly that he can't get anything done because the jurisdictions don't give a fuck about him?

Major, systematic overhaul is going to be required and I don't know how that's going to happen.

But beyond that, what needs to be done virtually everywhere is to figure out a way to make hockey more affordable. You can't legitimately have a sport thrive long-term when the majority of the kids in the province can't even play it because it's too expensive.

I think that’s also due to cost / time allocation factor.

Hockey has become a very elitist sport - not only for basics: equipment, team fees but all the individualized clinics that have become part of the new norm. Then there’s the time factor, which also drives up cost.

I dunno. Soccer is in private academies now. For basketball, kids are sent to US academies. Nothing on a ski hill is cheap.

One of my kiddos is in an el cheapo competitive sport (compared to others) and it still runs us into the 5K+ territory. Not sure how distressed households can participate in anything, frankly.

For EVERY sport in the U.S. other than hockey: IMG Academy.

We’ve thought about a tennis academy for our younger son but he already attends a very reputable private high school, so what’s the point . . .

Checking in late. I would have slightly favoured Iginla over the Russian of those available at #5. But that may be because I'm still sour at not getting the other Russian last year when he was the obvious choice. No complaints in the end on this one. The Russian may have a higher potential ceiling than Iginla.

I wanted Eiserman at #21 but the Islanders buggered it up. He was worth a gamble at that point. Sounds like maybe they would have gone the Hage route anyway. The rest of the guys we drafted were not inspiring even as long shots, as seems to be the consensus here.

All in all, I'm not as passionate about my feelings one way or the other on how it turned out this year compared to last.

Checking in late. I would have slightly favoured Iginla over the Russian of those available at #5. But that may be because I'm still sour at not getting the other Russian last year when he was the obvious choice. No complaints in the end on this one. The Russian may have a higher potential ceiling than Iginla.

I wanted Eiserman at #21 but the Islanders buggered it up. He was worth a gamble at that point. Sounds like maybe they would have gone the Hage route anyway. The rest of the guys we drafted were not inspiring even as long shots, as seems to be the consensus here.

All in all, I'm not as passionate about my feelings one way or the other on how it turned out this year compared to last.
May have a higher potential ceiling than Iginla? LOL. He definitely has a higher ceiling. Whether he reaches it is the question.

He's not wrong there. South Florida, NY, Southern California all have spiked expenses

A 2 mil Canadian house would be 3-5 mil American here.
Vegas has the cheapest luxury cost of living in NA - luxury housing ridiculously cheaper relative to Canada or any aforementioned US locations

Vegas has the cheapest luxury cost of living in NA - luxury housing ridiculously cheaper relative to Canada or any aforementioned US locations
You cant have 700 players chasing Vegas or other tax favorite cities

No need to change any rules , simply put ink your core to term right out of ELC and ease this issue down the road

Back