• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

They had Demidov on the brain already and took a chance. Anaheim going off top five board landed us Demidov. I also feel that they were perfectly fine taking Lindstrom if Demidov was gone.

They had Demidov on the brain already and took a chance. Anaheim going off top five board landed us Demidov. I also feel that they were perfectly fine taking Lindstrom if Demidov was gone.
100 percent. In fact, and they’ll never it admit, obviously, but it’s possible they preferred Lindstrom by a hair.

I would argue projected top pair D followed by C followed by W are the priority order for teams / scouts at draft table - unless there’s an obvious separation of talent as was the case between Celebrini va the rest of the draft cuvée
Bingo , unless its a McJesus draft

Hedman vs Tavares is no contest in a redo draft

You can get lucky and draft and develop a 1D without a top 5 pick but if your certain you have one in the top 5 you take him

This draft may have 5 of them and the Hawks have plenty of forward prospects .

I would argue projected top pair D followed by C followed by W are the priority order for teams / scouts at draft table - unless there’s an obvious separation of talent as was the case between Celebrini va the rest of the draft cuvée
From what I’ve seen in recent drafts I think it goes C, RD, W, LD, G in term of preference

Reactions: CH1
All things being equal . . . but we took a wing at 1OA.

not the best draft...so a bit of an outlier....RHD went 2nd. Cooley was the first C at #3.

I like Slaf but the #1s the next two years (Bedard, Celebrini) are better picks

All things being equal . . . but we took a wing at 1OA.
Because there was no significant separation in projected talent between C/D vs W - if anything Wrong regressed his draft year and no D really ramped it up to solidify 1OA, whereas Slaf had a continual upward trend the entire draft season

Last edited:
Because there was no significant separation in projected talent between C/D vs W - if anything Wrong regressed his draft year and no D really ramped it up to solidify 1OA, whereas Slaf had a continual upward trend the entire draft season
My point was that all things were not equal that draft, at least according to our management. Maybe. I still like Cooley quite a bit.

Cooley is good and with a different roster, maybe he’s the pick.

But the Habs had a crying need for what Slafkovsky brings.
I did a detailed breakdown on Cooley's production on that "other" site when ppl were screaming that we should've picked him over Slaf. Bottom line is, the large majority of his points came from sheltered minutes. Most were pp points and/or playing with Arizona's top players. He really was a non-factor 5v5. Now this was early December when Slaf was still playing with crappy linemates and no pp. And I know that Cooley picked it up the last 1/4 of the season and I think he'll be a good player. I think Slaf is and will continue to be better, though. Even points-wise. Let alone the BEAST factor Slaf brings.

Cooley upside is 2nd line center. Real second line center, not like Suzuki second line center. Slaf can be top line winger. No comparison on upside.

Back