• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 NHL Draft thread....now in spheremode.

Soooo not a fan?

If they had him 5th on their board and got him for the 13th and a 3rd, that's probably good business. CH made the argument (rightly imo) that it's a different issue when you have the player right in front of you and available. It's not just about slot value at that point, specific player eval weighs heavier.

I'm not fundamentalist about it, I get that human scouting is involved and plays a huge role. Slot value is slot value though, that's all. Insert gambling analogy here.

If they had him 5th on their board and got him for the 13th and a 3rd, that's probably good business. CH made the argument (rightly imo) that it's a different issue when you have the player right in front of you and available. It's not just about slot value at that point, specific player eval weighs heavier.

I'm not fundamentalist about it, I get that human scouting is involved and plays a huge role. Slot value is slot value though, that's all. Insert gambling analogy here.
If you have the right process in your scouting then I don't mind it, yeah. The problem is when you don't.

If you have the right process in your scouting then I don't mind it, yeah. The problem is when you don't.

There are 30 scouting departments and bell curves exist in all things. If you're on the right side of the bell curve, let your hair down once in a while. Problem is, everyone thinks they're on the right side of the bell curve.

Have to assume Philly wasn't sold on Buium or they would have taken him. So why give up the pick just to move one spot. Seems kind of odd, but good pick for Minny anyway, almost every list had him as a top 7 or 8 guy.

There are 30 scouting departments and bell curves exist in all things. If you're on the right side of the bell curve, let your hair down once in a while. Problem is, everyone thinks they're on the right side of the bell curve.
When Dallas trades up a pick or two in real time, I sorta believe that they are about to draft someone that should have been drafted earlier. But yeah the data works on averages, so for every Dallas there's a Montreal.

Have to assume Philly wasn't sold on Buium or they would have taken him. So why give up the pick just to move one spot. Seems kind of odd, but good pick for Minny anyway, almost every list had him as a top 7 or 8 guy.

to block someone from giving up capital to get the Philly pick

When Dallas trades up a pick or two in real time, I sorta believe that they are about to draft someone that should have been drafted earlier. But yeah the data works on averages, so for every Dallas there's a Montreal.
Or a futile Toronto

Back