• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Training Camp Thread

Here are the opening night lines and pairings.

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Roslovic - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Carrier
Lemieux - Drury - Robinson - Jost

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Gostisbehere - Walker
Smith - Ryan

Burns has been displaced from PP1, as he was at the end of last season, when Skjei replaced him.

PP1: Jarvis-Aho-Svech-Necas-Ghost
PP2: KK-Roslovic-Drury-Orlov-Burns

Last edited:
Burns has been displaced from PP1, as he was at the end of last season, when Skjei replaced him.

PP1: Jarvis-Aho-Svech-Necas-Ghost
PP2: KK-Roslovic-Drury-Orlov-Burns
I'd love to see him off both PP units, at least to start the year. Both Orlov and Walker can run solo point and unless Brindy is suddenly going to start giving the two units equal time than I'd just as soon see Burns get the rest. You can always slide him in if somebody else gets hurt or if a unit needs a boost. Sooner or later somebody needs to start treating him like the 40 year old guy he's gonna be this spring. Even freaks of nature get old.

Also, I remain convinced that the first unit needs another physical presence up front, especially if they're going to keep Svech in the half wall trigger position. I like how Aho and Jarvy operate in the middle, but neither of them is getting any bigger anytime soon.

Here are the opening night lines and pairings.

Svechnikov - Aho - Jarvis
Roslovic - Kotkaniemi - Necas
Martinook - Staal - Carrier
Lemieux - Drury - Robinson - Jost

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Chatfield
Gostisbehere - Walker
Smith - Ryan
Book it!

What is the over under date for Drury and KK swapping 2nd line/4 line center spots?

When you do that initial lineup building like that, you definitely wonder how things shake out if one the kids forces their way into the opening night lineup. You know how that would have went under Paul Maurice or Bill Peters who would just bury the kid on the 4th line. That doesn't happen under Rod. Tulsky has spent a fair amount of time talking about the importance of allowing opportunities for kids to assume NHL roles. If we are going to succeed in a retooling and continue on as a playoff team, it is a necessity that at some point SOME of our kids become productive NHL players.

Those lines also show the challenge the Canes face if NONE of the kids make the roster. That scoring depth at forward? Long gone. Those lines are thin on scoring beyond line #1. We can't afford Svech not delivering. We can't afford Necas not being a 30 goal guy. KK needs to be a 40-50 point player.

Who will be the first kid to force their way into the lineup? Nadeau? Unger-Sorum? Blake? Trikozov? (none of them?)

Last edited:
Here is the Wolves opening night roster.

Nadeau - Unger Sorum - Blake
Jaaska - Brind'Amour - Grimaldi
Trikozov - Suzuki - Gunler
Jo. Slavin - Robidas - Gagner

Fensore - Morrow
Seeley - Legault
Stillman - Montgomery
Honka - Heimosalmi

Here is the Wolves opening night roster.

Nadeau - Unger Sorum - Blake
Jaaska - Brind'Amour - Grimaldi
Trikozov - Suzuki - Gunler
Jo. Slavin - Robidas - Gagner

Fensore - Morrow
Seeley - Legault
Stillman - Montgomery
Honka - Heimosalmi
Ty Smith and Joakim Ryan also on D

What is the over under date for Drury and KK swapping 2nd line/4 line center spots?

Those lines also show the challenge the Canes face if NONE of the kids make the roster. That scoring depth at forward? Long gone. Those lines are thin on scoring beyond line #1. We can't afford Svech not delivering. We can't afford Necas not being a 30 goal guy. KK needs to be a 40-50 point player.
First part ... 10 games. That's usually the point where things start to get shifted, barring injury. Note that you could also see Roslovic step in for a look as well. He's probably a better offensive player on the wing, but he's a natural center and the kind of direct player who's good off the puck that should mesh pretty well with Necas.

Second part ... I think we already knew those pressure points. The weakest link in that chain for me and the one with the most to prove is KK. I think Necas is gonna show up with a chip on his shoulder and I think that Svech will start well coming off his first healthy summer in three years.

Last edited:
Ty Smith and Joakim Ryan also on D
I'd say it's even money that those two start in Chicago and that Stillman is the extra defender in Raleigh to start the year. He's the most expendable to the Wolves, who will need Ryan and Smith to anchor their blueline with all those wildcard prospects.

Morrow is the first camp casualty. He left practice 10-15 minutes early yesterday and was in street clothes at the C2 practice this morning.

I was thinking more about the opportunity for young players this morning. I do think there's a slot there, particularly for a scoring winger, if somebody knocks loudly enough on the door. The most likely to take a swing are Nadeau, Blake and Gunler (who looks to finally be fully healthy after his disappointing run in Chicago two seasons ago). Three very different players, but all of them have Top 6 skill levels. I see no chance for them to make the big club in a depth role, but with Roslovic on basically a year long PTO (and with a tool kit that can slot anywhere in your Top 9) penciled in to a 2nd line role ... there's flexibility. I'd keep a sharp eye on those three guys and if one of them starts getting some chances with Necas in pre season games, take notice.

RBA said that Morrow should be good to go tomorrow. Carrier sustained a lower body injury and was being checked out and it might have “a little more sting” to it,

That's encouraging news about Carrier. From the way Brindy phrased it the other day it sounded like he could be out a good chunk of camp.

Back