• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Training Camp Thread

Samsonov left after the 22-23 season. I think he's working for a European scouting combine now. And I wouldn't be surprised if that IS Kevin McCarthy from the old days. He didn't go with Lavy to New York and didn't catch on anywhere else last season.

The Canes cut down to 25. Blake is on the roster for now, the only kid to make it. Everyone but Honka was assigned to Chicago. Honka was assigned to HC Ajoie in Switzerland. Haffner and Grimaldi were released from their PTOs. Slavin the younger, Suzuki and Ty Smith were placed on waivers for purposes of sending to Chicago.

The Canes cut down to 25. Blake is on the roster for now, the only kid to make it. Everyone but Honka was assigned to Chicago. Honka was assigned to HC Ajoie in Switzerland. Haffner and Grimaldi were released from their PTOs. Slavin the younger, Suzuki and Ty Smith were placed on waivers for purposes of sending to Chicago.

Bryce Montgomery made it, too, and he has been signed to an entry-level deal...

Notably, Stillman and Ryan are still in the roster. Ryan was injured late in camp, Stillman was injured early and had just returned to full practices in the last few days.

The Canes will practice at Fort Liberty tomorrow. The final roster has to be in by 5 pm tomorrow.

More than likely they'll keep Ryan on IR if they need to. Same as they did with Suzuki last year. Either that or he's not all that injured and still battling with Stillman for 7D. I'm assuming Montgomery is sticking as a reward for solid play. He'll need some seasoning. And since they won't be keeping 14 forwards, I'd expect that Blake is still here as a bone for winning the kiddie corps sweepstakes. Although best as I can tell, Unger Sorum has probably been the most overall impressive youngster.

More than likely they'll keep Ryan on IR if they need to. Same as they did with Suzuki last year. Either that or he's not all that injured and still battling with Stillman for 7D. I'm assuming Montgomery is sticking as a reward for solid play. He'll need some seasoning. And since they won't be keeping 14 forwards, I'd expect that Blake is still here as a bone for winning the kiddie corps sweepstakes. Although best as I can tell, Unger Sorum has probably been the most overall impressive youngster.
According to PuckPedia, the combination of Montgomery signing and putting Stillman on LTIR at the cap deadline tomorrow brings to Cames to within $3 of maximizing cap space.

View: https://x.com/puckpedia/status/1843031013003493697?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

According to PuckPedia, the combination of Montgomery signing and putting Stillman on LTIR at the cap deadline tomorrow brings to Cames to within $3 of maximizing cap space.

View: https://x.com/puckpedia/status/1843031013003493697?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

The beauty of that is that it keeps them under the cap without activating Fast's LTIR and blowing any chance to accrue space. Because if you can build up some space on top of Fast's number then you can go a little heavier at the deadline. Not that I'm advocating going for another expensive deadline addition. But maybe you need two guys ... who ever knows?

Last edited:
Yes, this effective cap management. The Canes don't need the LTIR space at the moment and most certainly will try to operate under the cap as much as possible in order to accrue cap space. But by getting right up to the cap before putting Fast on LTIR, we maximize the amount of LTIR allowance available to us should we elect to use that allowance later on.

Maximizing the LTIR capture within $3? With Tulsky and the other STEM guys in the front office, this sounds about right.

Yes, this effective cap management. The Canes don't need the LTIR space at the moment and most certainly will try to operate under the cap as much as possible in order to accrue cap space. But by getting right up to the cap before putting Fast on LTIR, we maximize the amount of LTIR allowance available to us should we elect to use that allowance later on.

Maximizing the LTIR capture within $3? With Tulsky and the other STEM guys in the front office, this sounds about right.
I mean ... it's just math, and not particularly complicated math at that. And some of it is just working with the circumstances. Like, there's no way they calibrated every new contract within this framework, but once they got close to the number they were careful with their calculations. THAT's the step a lot of pro teams don't take, especially in hockey. Cap logic in the NHL has largely been brute force thinking.

I mean ... it's just math, and not particularly complicated math at that. And some of it is just working with the circumstances. Like, there's no way they calibrated every new contract within this framework, but once they got close to the number they were careful with their calculations. THAT's the step a lot of pro teams don't take, especially in hockey. Cap logic in the NHL has largely been brute force thinking.
Today is going to be interesting, final rosters due at 5. The waiver wire is gonna be buzzing.

Yeah, should be a bust day at the NHL office. I'm still thinking some other team might take a flyer on Suzuki.

Yeah, should be a bust day at the NHL office. I'm still thinking some other team might take a flyer on Suzuki.
With Jenner and Voronkov on the shelf, it wouldn’t shock me if Waddell took a flyer on his former 1st rounder.

With Jenner and Voronkov on the shelf, it wouldn’t shock me if Waddell took a flyer on his former 1st rounder.
Me either. I thought he might do it even before those injuries, but Voronkov being out really does a number on their creative forwards. Frankly, they don't have a checking line replacement for Jenner either. They could pick up multiple guys today.

Suzuki was never the same after that eye injury in junior, that certainly was the one point in his career trajectory where things impacted his play the most.
An interesting name on the waiver wire popped up yesterday...the other Sebastian Aho...why have only one Aho when you could have two!!! :)
Tripper and Manaspellcheck would be thrown a curveball announcing those two on the same team every night...

I would like to see that happen if for no other reason than how do you handle the NOB situation? You can't have Aho/Aho, S Aho/S Aho, or Sebastian Aho/Sebastian Aho. I would handle it as Aho (Finland flag)/Aho (Sweden flag). There is an NHL rule that states all players must have their name on the back of the jersey and the lettering must be in a contrasting in color from the uniform color.

Yeah, I'd think you'd go "Aho" and "S Aho" ... not that that would help the announcers out. While we might be curious about how funny all that would be, I see no role for Aho the Elder on this Canes team.

I saw that the Isles waived Pierre Engval too. He's in the 2nd year of a 7 year deal on a $3 mil AAV. Weird contract pays weird dividends

Clocks just struck 2PM. AKA the deadline for claiming yesterday's waiver wire players. Waiting to hear on Ryan Suzuki....

Back