• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Training Camp Thread

Interesting. But move where (to another KHL team?)

If Nikishin does get released from his contract that would create a very interesting and possibly complicated situation for the Canes. Does he sign and go to Chicago waiting for an injury to open an NHL spot? I would say from Nikishin's perspective, I'm not quite sure how quickly I am looking to move to North America. The Canes have a clear roster spot for Nikishin waiting next season when Burns retires and Orlov's contract is up. This season the Canes have already filled the NHL roster.

Don't get me wrong, I would like Nikishin under contract in North America ASAP. I'm not quite sure he is going to look at the Canes current situation and be excited about playing for the Wolves.

I don't think the Canes are moving Orlov or Burns. Slavin obviously is going nowhere.

We just signed Sean Walker (RH) for 5 years and Gostisbehere (LH) for 3 years and Chatfield (RH) for 3 years. Chatfield has a full NMC. Moving on from any of our 6 obvious starters at the moment would be awkward. Nikishin would almost have to go to Chicago to start if he signs for this season barring an injury. I would be more than happy with him in Chicago for a full season or as our top injury fill in if he is ready.

All seems too far fetched that Nikishin suddenly shows up in North America before the regular season opens.

Seriously... under the CBA, what's the maximum signing bonus we could give him?
Nikishin would sign a 2 year entry level contract for an NHL salary of $877,500 and a signing bonus (payable each season) of $97,500. His AHL salary would be the max allowed by the CBA for entry level deals (which is $85k per season at the moment). He would probably have some performance bonuses negotiated that he would likely reach (especially next season), but there are limits to how much he might earn there.

So the specific answer to your question is that when Nikishin signs (this season or next), he will get a 2 year entry level contract, get $97,500 in a signing bonus paid immediately and then another $97,500 before year 2 of the deal. Not a lot of money. However, for Nikishin, the sooner he gets his entry level deal started (and out the way) the sooner he can get paid the big bucks.

Just noticed Brendan Lemieux switched from #28 to 22.

Anttoni Honka turns the D-man inside out with a nice move and fires one home to tie the game 1-1.

Nikishin would sign a 2 year entry level contract for an NHL salary of $877,500 and a signing bonus (payable each season) of $97,500. His AHL salary would be the max allowed by the CBA for entry level deals (which is $85k per season at the moment). He would probably have some performance bonuses negotiated that he would likely reach (especially next season), but there are limits to how much he might earn there.

So the specific answer to your question is that when Nikishin signs (this season or next), he will get a 2 year entry level contract, get $97,500 in a signing bonus paid immediately and then another $97,500 before year 2 of the deal. Not a lot of money. However, for Nikishin, the sooner he gets his entry level deal started (and out the way) the sooner he can get paid the big bucks.
Yeah, which is why the Canes have certainly told Boom's people that he can come sign the second he's out of that KHL contract, even if there's 2 games left in the NHL season or whatever. Like they did with Morrow and their other college kids recently, they're willing to burn a year to let actual prospects get to their market value contract money sooner. Add that with the ruble trying to dig a hole to the center of the earth, and Nikishin's incentive structure is certainly in flux. Around a million bucks in US currency that he can park here and be relatively certain of maintaining value? Beats hyper-inflation and a currency value that you literally need a calculator to figure out day to day.

So ... we're looking for send-downs and cuts when? Like Sunday or Monday after the weekend games? I think the Wolves are set to open camp sometime next week.

So ... we're looking for send-downs and cuts when? Like Sunday or Monday after the weekend games? I think the Wolves are set to open camp sometime next week.
The practice schedule shows that the last day for groups C1 and C2 is October 3, the day after the 2nd home preseason game. With the Wolves first game on October 12 that’s not a lot of time to get them acclimated to a new system.

Back