• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Did advanced stats compel the Hawks to give Crawford $6M?

The case for advanced stats isn't that compelling if a team stacked with Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, etc somehow manages to win the Cup. BFD. Let's see a team with less obvious talent succeed before we celebrate.

I was an early Bill James disciple, ran the Expos chapter of his Project Scoresheet initiative and I love stuff like Moneyball but what I don't like is all the hype. Ie. In Moneyball, they spend 90% of the time discussing slow white guys who get on base but barely mention the A's had 3 excellent top of the rotation starters in Hudson, Mulder and Zito.

Gotta be careful not to replace one type of BS with another.

Last edited:

True Ch.

I never agreed with the walks are the be all end all either.

You have to understand that walks essentially were once deemed to have no positive value from a hitter's perspective (as in almost nobody kept track of them). Walks were seen by many as a pitcher's mistake. (not everyone mind you, GM Branch Rickey was always a fan)

You have to give people credit for correcting that obvious mistake.

Did advanced stats compel the Hawks to give Crawford $6M?

The case for advanced stats isn't that compelling if a team stacked with Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, etc somehow manages to win the Cup. BFD. Let's see a team with less obvious talent succeed before we celebrate.

I was an early Bill James disciple, ran the Expos chapter of his Project Scoresheet initiative and I love stuff like Moneyball but what I don't like is all the hype. Ie. In Moneyball, they spend 90% of the time discussing slow white guys who get on base but barely mention the A's had 3 excellent top of the rotation starters in Hudson, Mulder and Zito.

Gotta be careful not to replace one type of BS with another.

No one said that they are the only thing to look at. You have to do some scouting too.

For the Hawks though, do advanced stats help when deciding to trade Brian Campbell or Marian Hossa when you need to clear some space?
Do advanced stats help them fill out their bottom lines when they had to rebuild around that core following the 2010 purge for cap reasons?
Have they gotten advanced stats to help them in drafting? They draft pretty well too.....

Are they the be all and end all? Of course not.

But they are certainly useful and not as useless as some have said or implied.

Word here is that Holmgren could be stepping down.

Where exactly?

IASIP-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-476734_588_377.jpg

reporterchris: Gary Bettman says a weaker Canadian dollar will put next year's salary cap at $69M or $70M. Had been projected at $71M.

That's going to hurt us... and other teams. Might actually be the difference in retaining Vanek or not.

Good, let's hire him back as an assistant

You have to understand that walks essentially were once deemed to have no positive value from a hitter's perspective (as in almost nobody kept track of them). Walks were seen by many as a pitcher's mistake. (not everyone mind you, GM Branch Rickey was always a fan)

You have to give people credit for correcting that obvious mistake.

I think all Moneyball was trying to point out is that you don't score if you don't get on base and how you get on base isn't all that important. A walk is as good as a hit.

RIP Ross Lonsberry, former Bruin, King, Penguin and (most notably) Broad Street Bully-era Flyer, dead at 67 from cancer.

When he played for the Flyers wasn't he one of their handful of pussies along with Leach, McLeish and Orest Kindrachuk?

When he played for the Flyers wasn't he one of their handful of pussies along with Leach, McLeish and Orest Kindrachuk?

He wasn't much of a brawler. McLeish and Kindrachuck fought more than him. Gary Dornhoeffer, Simon Nolet and Bill Clement were pretty much conscientious objectors when it came to the rough stuff.

Dave "The Hammer" Schultz, Andre "Moose" Dupont, Bob "Mad Dog" Kelly and Don "No Nickname" Saleski were the real core of the Bullies. Bobby Clarke, Bill Barber, Ed Van Impe, Joe and Jim Watson and Mel Bridgeman were like mob associates. They could afford to act tough because they were protected.

Back