• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

Another big injury for CBJ – Boone Jenner is out 1-2 months with a stress fracture in his back.

Quick ahead of Price? Why?

And why not your boy Crawford? :)

More standout games. LA hasn't played all that great since the beginning of the year & Quick's had to save them a few more times than Price has had to. Granted, Price has a terrible defense that leads to having to be sharp every night, but I'd have him #6.

+ Quick doesn't have as many off nights as Price has had this year.

Also, I don't consider The Snowman top-5 because of the team playing in front of him (only faced 30 shots three times + his AHL caliber backups are excelling during his absense) and his low number of games played.

Last edited:

I dont know that quick has had to save the kings more times than price has had to save our bacon

More standout games. LA hasn't played all that great since the beginning of the year & Quick's had to save them a few more times than Price has had to. Granted, Price has a terrible defense that leads to having to be sharp every night, but I'd have him #6.

+ Quick doesn't have as many off nights as Price has had this year.

Also, I don't consider The Snowman top-5 because of the team playing in front of him (only faced 30 shots three times + his AHL caliber backups are excelling during his absense) and his low number of games played.

I was surprised that you put Quick ahead of Price considering that the Kings have a better team and better defense than the Habs, even though they haven't played all that great so far (as it's typical of the Kings during the regular season).

I was only joking concerning Crawford (even though his numbers are excellent) as I know you're not a fan.

The Hawks should do everything in their power to get rid of him. He is the anchor on that team that will sink that potential dynasty.

On paper, yeah, the Kings have a much better team than the Habs (as was demonstrated in their recent visit), but they haven't played up to par this year. Their core group has played the most hockey of any franchise in the last four years and I think it's starting to catch up to them.

Btw, your boy Tippett is working wonders with Edmonton flunkey Devan Dubnyk. Mike Smith is a whole other story, though...

Chicago could potentially pull of a heist of epic proportions if Edmonton was dumb enough to trade for The Snowman. It's cold year round in Edmonton and he'll never be under any kind of bright lights, so he'd be a perfect fit.

Btw, your boy Tippett is working wonders with Edmonton flunkey Devan Dubnyk. Mike Smith is a whole other story, though...

Yeah Smith has been struggling big time. I always felt he was overrated though, I guess it's catching up to him now.

The Hawks should do everything in their power to get rid of him. He is the anchor on that team that will sink that potential dynasty.

On paper, yeah, the Kings have a much better team than the Habs (as was demonstrated in their recent visit), but they haven't played up to par this year. Their core group has played the most hockey of any franchise in the last four years and I think it's starting to catch up to them.

I disagree on your view on Crawford, he's a better goalie than you give him credit for and he has a knack for making big saves at key moments. He's not in the elite group but he's right after. The Hawks could do much worse.

Problem is, at $6M per year, he's making elite goalie money. He has the sixth highest caphit among active goalies and he's not in the ten best goalies in the league, let alone best six. He's a middle of the pack, above-average goalie who does make big saves, but so did Chris Osgood. If he made $4M per year, I'd have no issue. He'd be paid at his just value. Chicago's going to be in cap hell the next few years and one of the best ways to get out of that is to trade him and Edmonton would be the perfect fit.

Chicago currently has a hair under $65M committed to 14 players next year. If the cap goes to $72M as is projected, they have $7M to spend on Saad, Oduya, Kruger, Nordstrom, Carcillo Rozsival, Erixon, Rundblad, or whomever they choose to replace those players with. I don't see how Saad won't make at least $4M, so then you have $3M to use on 7 spots. Something's going to have to give and The Snowman seems like the obvious guy to trade away.

Last edited:

Problem is, at $6M per year, he's making elite goalie money. He has the sixth highest caphit among active goalies and he's not in the ten best goalies in the league, let alone best six. He's a middle of the pack, above-average goalie who does make big saves, but so did Chris Osgood. If he made $4M per year, I'd have no issue. He'd be paid at his just value. Chicago's going to be in cap hell the next few years and one of the best ways to get out of that is to trade him and Edmonton would be the perfect fit.

Chicago currently has a hair under $65M committed to 14 players next year. If the cap goes to $72M as is projected, they have $7M to spend on Saad, Oduya, Kruger, Nordstrom, Carcillo Rozsival, Erixon, Rundblad, or whomever they choose to replace those players with. I don't see how Saad won't make at least $4M, so then you have $3M to use on 7 spots. Something's going to have to give and The Snowman seems like the obvious guy to trade away.

He's slightly overpaid but he's signed long term until 2020, which is probably why his current cap hit is higher than it should be but he'll be within range in a year or two. Even if they trade him they would have to find another goalie and unless they draft and develop one, they won't find a better replacement under $5M. They're comfortable with him so unless he starts sucking, I don't see them trading him.

At #6, he's right behind Ward, equals to Miller and right above Lehtonen, and I like him better than those 3. I probably have him in the top 10 in the league, around #8-10, near Jimmy Howard.

As for the cap space, I think one of Hossa, Sharp or Bickell will be gone next year.

For those that get TVA sports, there is a tell all interview with Mike Ribeiro after the game.

He's slightly overpaid but he's signed long term until 2020, which is probably why his current cap hit is higher than it should be but he'll be within range in a year or two. Even if they trade him they would have to find another goalie and unless they draft and develop one, they won't find a better replacement under $5M. They're comfortable with him so unless he starts sucking, I don't see them trading him.

At #6, he's right behind Ward, equals to Miller and right above Lehtonen, and I like him better than those 3. I probably have him in the top 10 in the league, around #8-10, near Jimmy Howard.

As for the cap space, I think one of Hossa, Sharp or Bickell will be gone next year.

Hossa is going nowhere with his nut busting deal , Sharp and Bickell will likely be both gone and the Hawks will need to find those kids to play well to contribute and they always do , not a big concern.

I would take Lehtonen before The Snowman any day of the week. I would probably take him over Miller, because Miller's another overrated & overpaid goalie with one great season over the course of his career. I thought Miller would be the one thing to take St. Louis one step further, but he stayed average once he got there. Would take a lot of goalies before Ward. Inconsistent and injured often.

As for replacing him, that wouldn't be too hard. Granted, you're getting a downgrade, but you'd also save a good chunk of money. They've shown that they have been able to win Cups without elite goaltending as long as the team in front of the goaltender is elite. Sign Anti Miemi in the summer at roughly the same $ he's making now or Michal Neuvirth. Both consistent .915 save % goalies. Or if Chicago follows my idea, get Ben Scrivens from Edmonton as one of the pieces in return. Again, clear downgrade on The Snowman, but there's a $3.7M caphit saving. Ben Scrivens is pretty underrated and could do pretty well imo if he has a solid backup.

Of the three players you mentioned, Sharp has the most value. Bickell will be hard to trade (Watch some doofus like Al Snow trade a good prospect for him) because he doesn't produce much and I don't think Hossa is tradeable. If he retired before his deal is up, both the Blackhawks and the team that acquired him will be in cap hell for a while. I wrote a hypothetical situation about Hossa and I think it would be legal to do: http://www.forumice.com/showthread....gning-Thread&p=2380665&viewfull=1#post2380665

But anyway, if they want to trade Sharp so that they can keep The Snowman, good for them, but it's a clear downgrade.

Haha, "Al Snow."

AlSnow001.jpg

Back