• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

I always support the Leafs when they play Boston. I was bummed when they blew that 7th game lead against them but it was alleviated by its comedic relief.

I don't mind the Leafs to be honest, I grew up in an era when they were playing in a separate conference and I've never seen them play against the Habs in the playoffs, they mean nothing to me.

kind of how I feel about Leafs (and it got me banned on the old gazette forum with the allegation I was a Leaf fan) but if they would it would be a nightmare on this board, and on Leaf board

I live in the middle of leaf country, and I really don't like the Leafs.

That said I hate the Bruins with every fibre of my being.... Those guys are *******s.... they are a team full of douchebags like Lucic, Marchand, Campbell, Chara, etc...

I honestly never saw the Leafs as a bigger nemesis than Bruins.

Bruins should be on top of any Habs fan's list of arch rival/enemy. Not even close.....

Then we can talk about Leafs, Flyers, etc

I honestly never saw the Leafs as a bigger nemesis than Bruins.

Bruins should be on top of any Habs fan's list of arch rival/enemy. Not even close.....

Then we can talk about Leafs, Flyers, etc

Bruins don't bring with them the entire Toronto-centric media, annoying huge fan base on the Internet, etc., garbage that the Leafs do. They are almost an afterthought in Boston. That's why the Leafs are higher on my most-hated list.

nah, ask Wehave, that was pretty much the reason, a few limp dicks there didn't like that I didn't take their shit and didn't like 55.

Their loss was your loss as now you have me

actually Wazoo, Flanelle, Wehave and DonKay are all refugees from there although I think Wehave and Flanelle still post there.

Bruins don't bring with them the entire Toronto-centric media, annoying huge fan base on the Internet, etc., garbage that the Leafs do. They are almost an afterthought in Boston. That's why the Leafs are higher on my most-hated list.

This.

It's not the team itself. It's the legions of fanboys both inside and outside the media that keep jamming their team down our throats. Do you know how far down you had to scroll on the TSN page to read about Galchenyuk's hat trick the other night? It was buried halfway down the page. And what was at the top? "Leafs Win Meaningless Game"

We also don't have every edition of Sports Centre leading off with how Carlyle juggled the lines at practice today. The Leafs are the only team I know that gets top billing on a national sports show even on days they don't play, ahead of other Canadian teams that actually do have games scheduled. This isn't the Leafs "fault" per se. They don't decide how or how much the media covers them. But they are the undeserving beneficiaries of all the exposure. There's only so much media exposure to go around and every second wasted on the Leafs is a second that doesn't go to Habs coverage so as far as I'm concerned the Leafs are stealing from us.

The Bruins certainly have their admirers among the media (HNIC in particular) but they don't get covered more than the Habs. The leafs, however, are another story.

In my books they will always be the greater evil, regardless of what they do on the ice.

This.

It's not the team itself. It's the legions of fanboys both inside and outside the media that keep jamming their team down our throats. Do you know how far down you had to scroll on the TSN page to read about Galchenyuk's hat trick the other night? It was buried halfway down the page. And what was at the top? "Leafs Win Meaningless Game"

We also don't have every edition of Sports Centre leading off with how Carlyle juggled the lines at practice today. The Leafs are the only team I know that gets top billing on a national sports show even on days they don't play, ahead of other Canadian teams that actually do have games scheduled. This isn't the Leafs "fault" per se. They don't decide how or how much the media covers them. But they are the undeserving beneficiaries of all the exposure. There's only so much media exposure to go around and every second wasted on the Leafs is a second that doesn't go to Habs coverage so as far as I'm concerned the Leafs are stealing from us.

The Bruins certainly have their admirers among the media (HNIC in particular) but they don't get covered more than the Habs. The leafs, however, are another story.

In my books they will always be the greater evil, regardless of what they do on the ice.

Actually, that is not correct

I always support the Leafs when they play Boston. I was bummed when they blew that 7th game lead against them but it was alleviated by its comedic relief.

I don't mind the Leafs to be honest, I grew up in an era when they were playing in a separate conference and I've never seen them play against the Habs in the playoffs, they mean nothing to me.

Easy enough to do when you live in Seattle. I live in BC now and not just for the weather. I came because I wanted to get as far away from Toronto as physically possible without having to emigrate or live in an igloo. If you had to spend any significant time living and working among Leafs Nation you'd hate them as much as I do, playoff meetings notwithstanding.

Slava Malamud
"The falling ruble is not an emergency. When an avalanche comes down and destroys your rink, that's an emergency" - KHL's VP

We could win the cup and the lead story would be Brendan Shanahan took a crap today.

LOL

Well I'm sure the Habs would lead but I'm sure they'd find a way to work in a Leafs angle somehow. It's like what Ron Maclean always did in the last game of the finals. He'd always find a way to steer the conversation past the two teams playing for the Cup and get a Leafs mention in there. You could make a drinking game out of it he was so blatant. He was always armed with some trivial or off-handed remark relating to the Leafs. In 93 he couldn't mention Gary Leeman's name without reminding everyone about how he had a career year with the Leafs once upon a time.

But this is what I hate most about the Leafs: they just take up too much space - on TV, on radio, in print and, inevitably, in the minds of all the people in the media. When Beliveau died I had to listen to otherwise knowledgable pundits hem and haw when they couldn't recall what year he retired but they could tell you how many assists Walt Poddubny had as a Leaf without batting an eye.

During my entire time as a Habs fan, the Leafs have pretty much sucked, other than the mid-90s to early 2000's window when the Habs sucked - until the Habs & Leafs square off in the playoffs, there will be no rivalry.

I simply can't stand the shithole of a concrete jungle without any charm or character they call the city of Toronto.

Easy enough to do when you live in Seattle. I live in BC now and not just for the weather. I came because I wanted to get as far away from Toronto as physically possible without having to emigrate or live in an igloo. If you had to spend any significant time living and working among Leafs Nation you'd hate them as much as I do, playoff meetings notwithstanding.

I lived in Montreal until 10 years ago, it was just as easy back then. There has been only truly two rivals in my lifetime, the Bruins and the Nordiques.

I hate the Bruins fanbase more than the Leafs.

It may not be as big, but it has so many Neanderthals in it who think that winning fights is more important than scoring goals and winning games.

The way that building cheers for fights louder than anyone else, the way they have a wrestling announcer posing as a hockey guy in Jack Edwards on NESN, the way they honestly seem to get more joy out of a fight than a goal... can't stand it.

Back