• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2014 - 2015 Season

This should have been done a while ago.

Looking like a steal of a pick in the 3rd round.

There have been many a world junior star, who's disappeared into the NHL wilderness, but yeah in the 3rd round he was a good pick, wonder what his old coach St.Patrick's thinking about now...

There have been many a world junior star, who's disappeared into the NHL wilderness, but yeah in the 3rd round he was a good pick, wonder what his old coach St.Patrick's thinking about now...

Duclair had 7 pts. in 18 NHL games this season. Pretty good good for a 19 year old out straight out of the juniors.

Duclair had 7 pts. in 18 NHL games this season. Pretty good good for a 19 year old out straight out of the juniors.

I know pts are sexy, but it's no the only aspect of playing "pro hockey". Duclair's completely out to lunch defensively, he's got no idea whatthe concept of coverage means, really poor in the Rangers games I watched.

This should have been done a while ago.

While I understand a coaches life span with one team is short I don't think beau bandy should take all the blame. Will kessel finally figure out how to back check or play in the dzone with a new coach? Will dion stop giving pucks away? Will gardiner figure out he has to play d in the dzone? Will Clarkson finally lose his hands of stone?

The coach is an easy fire as you can always replace him. Maurice, Wilson and now Randy. All of them seemed to be the problem. Maybe it's time they take a good hard look at the players, who are the ones actually playing the game.

I know pts are sexy, but it's no the only aspect of playing "pro hockey". Duclair's completely out to lunch defensively, he's got no idea whatthe concept of coverage means, really poor in the Rangers games I watched.

You can learn to improve defensively. He's got nice hands and good wheels for a guy his size.

So the Leafs will wait out for Babcock?

Or... they realize/know he will not be an option and go after DeBoer or Bylsma.

Or Boucher...

More curious about who takes over as GM once the eventuality comes to fruition: Nonis gets canned.

Kyle Dumb-ass or anti-analytics Mark Hunter! LOL, the org's too funny!

The most intriguing element to adding Hunter, however, is that it doesn’t appear to jive with the Toronto’s new analytics mantra. The Hunter brothers come across as old-school. Dale once made headlines during his brief NHL tenure when he benched Mike Knuble for bad plus-minus. My colleague Ryan Kennedy said he once had trouble tracking Mark down for an interview because Hunter was at his farm. The only analytics tool you’ll find out there is an abacus

Hunter, like Dale, is known for being a video guy who relies on film sessions as a teaching tactic. He uses what the traditional thinkers believe is the best evaluation tool of all: the eyes. That suggests Shanahan is hedging his bets as opposed to going all-in on analytics, which is still a very young science. When I spoke with Dubas in the summer, even he admitted advanced stats were two decades behind baseball.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/w...the-maple-leafs-director-of-player-personnel/

Doesn't sound at all like he's anti-analytics.

Hunter is a hockey man, but like Dubas he searched for every edge. That included some work on analytics, which have in the past been derided by some as the sign of someone who doesn’t want to watch the game. A better interpretation would be that analytics are the sign of a hockey mind that wants to learn more about hockey, and in Hunter’s case that wants to discover something their competitors don’t have. Dubas did it in the Soo, and Hunter explored it in London with video, scoring chances per 60 minutes, zone starts.

“(He wanted) every edge,” said Misha Donskov, who was the assistant general manager in London from 2009-2012 and now manages Hockey Canada’s analytics and video. “Mark’s a 24/7 hockey guy. My cellphone would ring at 5 in the morning and again at 11:30 at night. He wanted every edge, and wanted to get better.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...ple_leafs_further_outside_the_box_arthur.html

On analytics, he added, “we were always strong in that area with London.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...director-of-player-personnel/article21190077/

Seems like there's better coaching options than GM options at the moment.

Nothing I love more than a mid-season implosion at MLSE. It's the one instance when having all that media attention backfires on them.

Back