• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League: 2019-2020 Regular Season

Watched the Panthers condensed game earlier today. Pageau was flying out there for the Isles.

Watched the Panthers condensed game earlier today. Pageau was flying out there for the Isles.
Thought both Panthers and Oilers (based on one game yesterday mind you) showed the same issues that have been plaguing their star studded lineup for years, they haven’t grown to understand every play on every shift matters - can’t take shifts off or even show lack of compete on a simple play

I didn't watch the Florida game, but Deadmonton desperately needs a franchise d-man. They don't have a single first-pairing d-man, for crying out loud. Bouchard & Broberg aren't the answers, either. They're at the point where they're going to need to do everything necessary to get one.

Petry we have here isn't the same player that he was in Deadmonton. I watched a bunch of Deadmonton games the season we traded for him and there were many, many games where he was completely out of his depth.

Watch #2 in white during this highlight of a game against Toronto. It's not flattering and there were more than one game where he looked like that:

3:09
5:35

I recall you being very vocal at trade deadline when Habs acquired Petry how he’s nothing to write home about....once again proving how hockey is the ultimate team game.

As I said on the Leafs board, Petry wasn't ready to be a #1 and Edmonton used him as one. When he signed in Montreal he slotted in begin Markov and Subban and that was ideal for him to mature.

I recall you being very vocal at trade deadline when Habs acquired Petry how he’s nothing to write home about....once again proving how hockey is the ultimate team game.

Yup. I was wrong on that one.

The problem with Deadmonton is, you see Petry leave and improve leaps and bounds. You see Justin Schultz (who made Desharnais look like a fan favorite in comparison) leave and become a solid top-4 in Pittsburgh.

I don't know what the hell is happening there.

As I said on the Leafs board, Petry wasn't ready to be a #1 and Edmonton used him as one. When he signed in Montreal he slotted in begin Markov and Subban and that was ideal for him to mature.

It's not just that, he was making mistakes that were comically bad. And Petry was 25 when we traded for him. It's one thing if the guy's 22 and he's not ready, but at 25, there isn't all that much growth afterwards.

Yup. I was wrong on that one.

The problem with Deadmonton is, you see Petry leave and improve leaps and bounds. You see Justin Schultz (who made Desharnais look like a fan favorite in comparison) leave and become a solid top-4 in Pittsburgh.

I don't know what the hell is happening there.
IMO it’s a DNA thing, just as Habs fans whine about the emphasis on defensive awareness, there never was any emphasis on D awareness but that was ok on a stacked HOF dynasty team during an era of not much parity within the league. Same mentality was in place when CMD & Drasaitl came in. Tippett will ingrain the D conscience but it will take time, and likely key core player moves.

I’ve never been a strong believer of the adage anyone can learn to play D but it’s hard to learn offense. It’s hard to maintain dedication & work ethic on every play of every shift which is the foundation of defensive conscience.

Similarly I find TBay are ironically a reflection of their former GM, before he had the riot act read to him by Scotty, and Leafs have similar issues. Lots of bling but playoffs are about lunchbox substance.

Back