• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

source.gif

Isles are the team I want to drop out so bad. And they simply can't say "Bad Year". They do not have the core to rebound and they have so many bad deals.
People in this market seem unaware Isles are where they are and that many Islander fans are shitting on Lou for adding 0 skill since he's been there.
And I love Barazl, but in Toronto he'd be getting heat for his production the last 2 years.

Yep...who would you rather be:

The Toronto Maple Leafs fighting for their playoff lives with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares as their core?

Or the Islanders fighting for their playoff lives with Barzal, Nelson, Bailey, Lee as their core?

Their 25 and under core is Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, and Pelech
Ours is Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kappy, Soupy, AJ, Rielly, Sandin, Lilly, Dermott

Our best years are still ahead of us, however this season shakes loose.

So given that most have been saying Sandy and Lilly have been badly overmatched, is anyone concerned about their long term blue-chippiness?

Yep...who would you rather be:

The Toronto Maple Leafs fighting for their playoff lives with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares as their core?

Or the Islanders fighting for their playoff lives with Barzal, Nelson, Bailey, Lee as their core?

Their 25 and under core is Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, and Pelech
Ours is Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kappy, Soupy, AJ, Rielly, Sandin, Lilly, Dermott

Our best years are still ahead of us, however this season shakes loose.

I'd rather be the Leafs than just about any other team out there. Even the Pens who we're fearing tonight, we should really be running over.

We're underperforming in a big way. This is some messed up nonrepresentative period that I don't believe is reflective in any way of what we are. And I'm expecting the ship to be righted soon enough. I don't believe this much talent can tread or fall. It has to rise.

It was a bit dumb to expect much more than they've given.

Almost as dumb as drawing useful conclusions from a 6 game sample.

Sandin had a 53% xgf until Lilly was called up and that was made a full time thing at the NHL level, for example.

I'd rather be the Leafs than just about any other team out there. Even the Pens who we're fearing tonight, we should really be running over.

We're underperforming in a big way. This is some messed up nonrepresentative period that I don't believe is reflective in any way of what we are. And I'm expecting the ship to be righted soon enough. I don't believe this much talent can tread or fall. It has to rise.

I put up a post earlier. During this slump we're near league worst in converting on HD chances, despite being near the top of the league at generating them. We've also been near league bottom in SV%, which is easily the biggest problem this team has right now. Our great run from Nov 20 to the end of January was built on our ability to out score shit goaltending. When that SH% well ran dry, we were fucked if we didn't get league average or better goaltending. It should come as no surprise that we've put up points at a reasonable rate in the game we've gotten that and lose badly in the games we don't.

If Freddy loses tonight, they may run with Campbell, especially if he wins his next couple.

But I don't think I'm ready for that to be a thing yet. I can't believe Freddy is toast, and I honestly didn't find fault in him in the last game, other than his body language just looks totally scared and shaky. When Freddy is Freddy, he's steady and calm, not like this. The Leafs know they need him to find his game. They're kind of forcing the issue by going with him tonight, but I think I'd do the same.

I can't believe Freddy is toast

We're at something like a .907 over his last 84 games now. Him playing under .900 might just be a slump, but the guy people were pumping as a Vezina candidate is probably gone. He's 30 now and has never really been a fitness nut (he lost enough weight from his 260ish draft weight to become good at the NHL level, but he's never really been known as a fitness nazi) , it's entirely possible that he's just past his physical prime. He plays at 6'4 238. Most other tall goalies play 20 pounds or more lighter. Bishop is 3 inches taller and 25 pounds lighter, for example.

We're at something like a .907 over his last 84 games now. Him playing under .900 might just be a slump, but the guy people were pumping as a Vezina candidate is probably gone. He's 30 now and has never really been a fitness nut (he lost enough weight from his 260ish draft weight to become good at the NHL level, but he's never really been known as a fitness nazi) , it's entirely possible that he's just past his physical prime. He plays at 6'4 238. Most other tall goalies play 20 pounds or more lighter. Bishop is 3 inches taller and 25 pounds lighter, for example.

.908 since dec.1 2018 - 84gms

Thats one big mafakin slump

Goalies go through this type of stuff all the time and tend to bounce but the question has to be asked if this is the first sign of real regression from him

Back