• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

The Pens have to go for it every year. Crosby is 33 and Malkin is 34. Prospects and picks are way more valuable as trade bait to that organization. Someone like Krieder may have been a better pickup but he's also a rental.

The pens are going to continue to empty the cupboards for the next few years... having zucker signed for 3 more years has value for them.

Assuming zucker doesnt die they can probably trade him heading into his last year for a 2nd and a prospect if they are blowing it up at that point.

He always struck me as someone the Leafs would have targeted in the past but apparently he had almost every Canadian team on his NTC

Makes me appreciate how lucky we were to land on Matthews. 2013. 15 and 16 landed true superstars at 1. The rest have been good to bust

Yeah, timing is everything. Some years the first pick will get you a generational talent, some years it'll just get you a decent 1st/2nd line player, and some years it'll be a complete bust. So we definitely got lucky with when we bottomed out.

Not to mention our luck in the Galchenyuk/Yakupov draft specifically. We landed Morgan Rielly two picks after Galchenyuk at 5th overall, and all four players taken ahead of Rielly that year ended up being busts of varying degrees.

Yakupov (1st) & Reinhart (4th) flat-out aren't NHL-calibre players, and Ryan Murray (2nd) and Galchenyuk (3rd) are eminently replaceable, run-of-the-mill NHL depth players.

We are so lucky. Matthews is such a stud.
Ironically the Oilers only got stars when they either did not win the lottery, or won it with low odds. (Mcdavid and Drais). The 1st overalls they were supposed to get statistically were good, but not true stars

Yeah, timing is everything. Some years the first pick will get you a generational talent, some years it'll just get you a decent 1st/2nd line player, and some years it'll be a complete bust. So we definitely got lucky with when we bottomed out.

Not to mention our luck in the Galchenyuk/Yakupov draft specifically. We landed Morgan Rielly two picks after Galchenyuk at 5th overall, and all four players taken ahead of Rielly that year ended up being busts of varying degrees.

Yakupov (1st) & Reinhart (4th) flat-out aren't NHL-calibre players, and Ryan Murray (2nd) and Galchenyuk (3rd) are eminently replaceable, run-of-the-mill NHL depth players.

Hilarious Reinhart already looked like a bust but they ended up getting Barzal for him after that mistake. I really want to know what Chiarelli saw in him at that point.

We were lucky that Rielly missed the entire year. No way he doesn't go 1st if people saw him play. The Leafs have had a lot of draft luck.

Winning the lottery in a year with a legit generational talent. A player like Marner available at #4 in the draft? How many drafts in the history of the NHL have there been where a guy that put up generational numbers in junior was available at #4 because there were also players like McDavid and Eichel? Teams taking players like Bennett, Rienhart, Virtanen over Nylander.

The Leafs scouts deserve a lot of credit. But also we probably shouldn't have had the opportunity to get all of Rielly, Matthews, Marner and Nylander from 5 drafts.

Winning the lottery in a year with a legit generational talent. A player like Marner available at #4 in the draft? How many drafts in the history of the NHL have there been where a guy that put up generational numbers in junior was available at #4 because there were also players like McDavid and Eichel? Teams taking players like Bennett, Rienhart, Virtanen over Nylander.

Ya Marner at 4 is unbelievable. McDavid, Eichel, and just as important a 6.03 center also putting up generational numbers in Dylan Strome to let Marner fall to 4.

And even then, some people said the Leafs should take Hanifin.

Last edited:
Ya Marner at 4 is unbelievable. McDavid, Eichel, and just as important a 6.03 center also putting up generational numbers in Dylan Strome to let Marner fall to 4.

And event then, some people said the Leafs should take Hanifin.

I still remember Damien Cox's galaxy-brain idea at the time was that we should take Ivan Provorov with the Marner pick.

He spent the entire lead-up to the draft aggressively hyping that idea. Then after they picked Marner, he wrote a hissy-fit of an article the next day trashing the Leafs' draft, with "Leafs come up short at draft" as the headline.

Also, funny enough, Don Cherry was strongly advocated that we take the American Hanifin ahead of Tranna-boy Mitch.

I liked Cox more than most on here in the past, but him disappearing on Twitter for 2 months after Leafs started to win under Keefe and only coming back this week after Andersen's injury looked really petty and bad.
I still remember him litterally laughing at the 18 minute criticism of Matthews' TOI right after game 7 like it was justified. He was swallowing the Cock's load at every step.

I'm just sick to death of it.

Leaf fans have gotten to see their team in four playoff series in the last fifteen years, and three of them have been against Boston.

I hate this playoff format.

I'm just sick to death of it.

Leaf fans have gotten to see their team in four playoff series in the last fifteen years, and three of them have been against Boston.

I hate this playoff format.

And we're on are a path for the fourth showdown.

If everyone is healthy and Dubas makes a move to find that top pairing RHD he covets then I like our chances this year of slaying the dragon

Back