• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

You guys should 100% consider over paying a veteran to take the hard matchups away from Suzuki.
No more patch jobs , do it right for once

If you overpay a vet to buy time 1-2 year tops.

Unload Petry , Gally , etc....

Last edited:
It does when you are already at the cap and have to eat cap to trade players away.

Need bedard for sure.

Means nothing , eat salary only way you make a hockey trade or save on future cap

One podcast I was listening to mentioned trading Gally to LA

They mentioned eat 3 mil and you could probably take back no money , get a pick or prospect back and save 3 mil for the next 5 years .

Team is years away from cap gymnastics when Byron, Drubust, and others are flushed out.

Caufield is the only player to get any decent money so the cap won’t be problematic

Hughes needs to get creative this summer, start creating a proper roster.

Don’t continue the Bergevin , keep that hamster wheel spinning a decade to nowhere

Make tough decisions , keep drafting , player development , no short cuts .

Team isn't making the playoffs next year, too many teams are way ahead in the development curve

Half this roster is complete trash

Last edited:
Sucks to bottom out this year, especially with the draft coming up in 2023.

The Leafs rebuild was really all about timing. Could have easily got the top picks in Hischier/Patrick, Dahlin/Svech drafts. 2015-2016 was literally the best drafts to do it. Lots of luck involved.

You guys should 100% consider over paying a veteran to take the hard matchups away from Suzuki.
I have a feeling that we're not going to embrace the rebuild for another year. I'd love to stay the course and not sign anyone this off-season.

But yeah, if you're going to "go for it" a guy like Kadri would be a great add.

The Leafs rebuild was really all about timing. Could have easily got the top picks in Hischier/Patrick, Dahlin/Svech drafts. 2015-2016 was literally the best drafts to do it. Lots of luck involved.

Lots of luck for sure , but you nailed your picks

Other than 34 falling on your lap , you got it right with Morgan , Willy , and Mitch

Leafs could of easily went in another direction

True, thats the other half. If the Habs draft #3 in 17 instead of 18 they could have had Makar/Heiskanen. But in 18 they still could have had Quinn Hughes.

Buffalo is the perfect example of both getting no luck on timing and fucking up top 10 picks over and over and over again.

I have a feeling that we're not going to embrace the rebuild for another year. I'd love to stay the course and not sign anyone this off-season.

But yeah, if you're going to "go for it" a guy like Kadri would be a great add.

Want no part of a 5-6 year Kadri deal

Its going to be much harder for a Canadian team to nab a good UFA

The government Covid fiasco put a bad taste with players/agents especially ones with families

Quarantine/border BS and other restrictions will be in effect again if we get another outbreak

USA teams are back to spending in UFA , top players will probably stay south of the border

2014, too

Bedard looks pretty ridiculous.
I was looking yesterday and comparing him to McDavid at 16.

Both had similar points but Bedard has a few things actually a head of him.

Sure it is WHL vs OHL.

Bedard had more goals.

But the interesting thing is that Bedard led his team in scoring by 31 points. McDavid was third on his team (Connor Brown was first).

Will be really interesting to see how he does next year (McDavid damn was damn near at 3ppg at 17) and also at the world juniors this summer.

Lots of luck for sure , but you nailed your picks

Other than 34 falling on your lap , you got it right with Morgan , Willy , and Mitch

Leafs could of easily went in another direction

Incredibly easily. those types of picks are the exception for this franchise, not the rule.

still can't believe we got Matthews to this day.

If you do it long enough you eventually get Hall, Nuge, Yakapov, McDavid.

I do wonder about Wright still though. Did losing his entire 16 year old season slow down his development? have no impact / he just did not progress?

It is also interesting that outside of generational talents the top pick is usually not the best player from the draft.

2012 - Rielly at 5
2013 - okay - MacKinnon but Barkov is close imo
2014 - Leon at 4
2017 - Petterson at 5
2018 - Hughes at 7

and this year would be one that its a near lock that the best player isn't at the top of the draft.

good time for a bold front office to go off-board here, even with a top top pick.

and this year would be one that its a near lock that the best player isn't at the top of the draft.

good time for a bold front office to go off-board here, even with a top top pick.
zona and habs have been known for that
well maybe not at number 1 but in the top 5

but if a team is doing that they should trade down

With Wright though.... covid effects?

Slow start but added 0.5ppg after xmas

I also think there will be some steals from the OHL later in the draft.

Nemec screams the obvious, Seider like, this guy is going to be a great NHL dman and would be the top pick if he was Canadian instead of from a second rate hockey country.

Back