• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

hockey doesn't ignore the real standings tho!

just the people who watch and report on it.

I mean, the league sorta does too. If you go to the official wild card standings on NHL.com, Tampa is listed as 3rd in the division and the Leafs are listed in the first wild card spot.

Even though if, for whatever reason, the season were to end today, those two teams would trade places by virtue of their points %.

I mean, the league sorta does too. If you go to the official wild card standings on NHL.com, Tampa is listed as 3rd in the division and the Leafs are listed in the first wild card spot.

Even though if, for whatever reason, the season were to end today, those two teams would trade places by virtue of their points %.

yes, they do for the public league standings page.

but never, ever, for actually using team records to make an actual decision based on team rankings.

that brings up another hockey stats quirk.

NBA: Per game stats determine best players
MLB: Percentage stats determine best players
NHL: Raw total stats determine best players

which one of these methods is "truest"?

Note that hockey fans will insist that any attempt to use per game/toi or percentages of any kind are "fake", while they are the standards in other leagues to determine "best".

Complicated

The NBA is wrestling with it's own per game issues right now in the load management era with people playing ~60 games and winning major awards, so that kind of shows the weakness of measuring per game. The NHL exists on the opposite spectrum where it's seems more important to limp through 82 regular season games to prove you're a warrior than it is to actually play good in them.

MLB is kind of a combo of all really, which doesn't surprise me because it's the most advanced stat culture of the major sports. Best hitter in the game is whoever has the highest batting average. Home run king is whoever hits the most total home runs though. Consensus best player in the game is usually whoever has the most WAR though. The NBA is moving that way, though until there's a durable, agreed upon, long term and publicly available WAR analogue I don't see them fully crossing that threshold culturally.

Or piracy. It's always been piracy. Once upon a time the promise of "cut the cord, get Netflix and a subscription to cover your sports" was nice, but they're in the middle of ruining it. Netflix by itself is pushing towards $20 a month, the content is spread across a half dozen subscriptions and the live sports packages don't do anything because of blackouts (yeah, I know I can VPN around it, but I'm not taking extra...illegal....steps to give someone my money if I can just skip the "my money" part and just go straight to the illegal bit).

Fwiw, if there were no blackouts I would happily buy League Pass ($14 a month) and a NHL equivalent (priced similarly). Throw in Prime for more or less free because I'd pay $10 for free shipping by itself, and Netflix at 17-18 and I'd be entirely good and entirely legal. ~50 bucks a month (6 months of the year, half that the rest) is fine.

Fuck it though, back to piracy we go like the good old days. IPTV & private torrent trackers.

I had Netflix for a few years, but it was a decent deal at the beginning. the quality of stuff has gone down and the cost has over doubled per month.

also, their "high definition" content leaves something to be desired in the picture quality department, at least if you have a decent grade tv

Or piracy. It's always been piracy. Once upon a time the promise of "cut the cord, get Netflix and a subscription to cover your sports" was nice, but they're in the middle of ruining it. Netflix by itself is pushing towards $20 a month, the content is spread across a half dozen subscriptions and the live sports packages don't do anything because of blackouts (yeah, I know I can VPN around it, but I'm not taking extra...illegal....steps to give someone my money if I can just skip the "my money" part and just go straight to the illegal bit).

Fwiw, if there were no blackouts I would happily buy League Pass ($14 a month) and a NHL equivalent (priced similarly). Throw in Prime for more or less free because I'd pay $10 for free shipping by itself, and Netflix at 17-18 and I'd be entirely good and entirely legal. ~50 bucks a month (6 months of the year, half that the rest) is fine.

Fuck it though, back to piracy we go like the good old days. IPTV & private torrent trackers.
I split Apollo TV with 4 other people. Like $45 for the year for literally anything you can think of to watch.

I barely watch much traditional tv.

I've got Netflix ($20), Hulu+ESPN+HBO+live tv ($100), and a smattering of Spectrum channels that come with my internet and phone package for free. It's a bit high but still a far cry from when Spectrum was trying to charging me upwards of $300 for tv, phone, and internet, so I'm content with it, even though they keep raising it.

Back