• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Something tells me you grew up in a very negative household where failure was unacceptable. There is no such thing as failure, there is such a thing as not finding the proper way yet.

So bloody negative.

Something tells me you grew up in a very negative household where failure was unacceptable. There is no such thing as failure, there is such a thing as not finding the proper way yet.

So bloody negative.
I'm not even a Leafs fan and even I find their acceptance of failure annoying. I used to laugh at it but now it just irks me. After 57 years of garbage I think fans have a right to lose their patience and start demanding things rather than politely asking for them.

The "proper way", as you call it, is to fucking win, not to make excuses for why you didn't fucking win yet again. And there needs to be consequences that come with not winning because incentivizing success hasn't got them very far. The players in the Leafs dressing room are way too comfortable and content. Someone or something needs to happen to make certain players in that room uncomfortable because right now it's a country club. Someone in that front office needs to grow a pair and read the riot act to these clowns.

And, for the record, I grew up in a loving and nurturing household but I also didn't grow up in one that excused lack of effort. I didn't have to get straight A's by any means but I didn't get a free pass to coast. Pass or fail the effort needed to be there and if it wasn't that carried consequences. Right now, there are no consequences for any Leafs player who decides to mail it in. None whatsoever. And I get the distinct impression that the coach is not permitted by his bosses to call out certain players under any circumstances. That is the definition of dysfunction.

I think you may be able to get Tavares to move to Utah... perfect for the robot and his young family. Plus they need to get to the cap, and they can afford to resign him for more than anyone else... not 11 million but better than what other teams may offer.

As mentioned Lawson Crouse, McBain (toronto kid) a pick... something decent

Shows his actual commitment to the organization and winning here. If he does this and then refuses to waive his NMC, he should be excommunicado.

I think JT simply wanted to get away from his extended family offering him tips on how to improve the team

I'm sorry, is someone trying to spin a guy accepting an offer to play for his country as a negative?

Who the fuck would be that stupid?

If your goal is to get right for next season, you take the rest and get into your off season training early. This tournament is kind of a deal to Europeans but 2nd tier (at best) tournament for North American players.

Here's the list of guys 31+ yr old guys that have played for Canada at this tournament in the last 8-9 years

Tavares
Brandon Tanev
Oleksiak
Toffoli
Lucic
Myers
Hunt
Holden
O'Dell
McIlheny
Chris Lee

That's the list....One of those names kind of sticks out, eh?

Where were the Sid's, Doughty's, Stamkos, Marchand's, Bergeron's, etc, etc after they missed the playoffs or got knocked out 1st round? Doing what John should be doing right now, because I'm sure they got an invite too. I get that he's never won this tournament (played 3 times, silver medal), but seriously. The off season is short, he's almost 34 and coming off of a down season that looks like decline. If this is him seeing that his career is deep into the back 9 and wanting to take every opportunity he can to do cool stuff, I get it on a certain level. But it doesn't align with next year's Cup as a core motivating goal.

If your goal is to get right for next season, you take the rest and get into your off season training early. This tournament is kind of a deal to Europeans but 2nd tier (at best) tournament for North American players.

Here's the list of guys 31+ yr old guys that have played for Canada at this tournament in the last 8-9 years

Tavares
Brandon Tanev
Oleksiak
Toffoli
Lucic
Myers
Hunt
Holden
O'Dell
McIlheny
Chris Lee

That's the list....One of those names kind of sticks out, eh?

Where were the Sid's, Doughty's, Stamkos, Marchand's, Bergeron's, etc, etc after they missed the playoffs or got knocked out 1st round? Doing what John should be doing right now, because I'm sure they got an invite too. I get that he's never won this tournament (played 3 times, silver medal), but seriously. The off season is short, he's almost 34 and coming off of a down season that looks like decline. If this is him seeing that his career is deep into the back 9 and wanting to take every opportunity he can to do cool stuff, I get it on a certain level. But it doesn't align with next year's Cup as a core motivating goal.

I guess the extremely optimistic view here is that he already knows he’s not coming back here next season and will likely be playing for a non-contender, since no one else will be willing to absorb his salary.

So may as well jump at the opportunity to win something in his career.

Back