• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Also

ouch-of-coach-reaction-fifa-football-52e4w7734zilpki2.gif

That cut deep

I did feel a twinge of regret when I tossed that one at you.

Congratulations. They beat the Islanders every year. Where's the banner?

You can be happy with that. I'll take neither. They're both failed joke organizations, even if one is worse than the other. Ultimately getting swept every time you face a half decent team feels pretty loserish to me. I'd be disgusted if I were a Canes fan just as I am as a Leafs fan!
Poor bitter presto.

Hard to throw shade at them for beating easy opponents when the Leafs have faced Columbus & Montreal and lost to both.

Again, sure it’s all about the Cup, etc, but as a fan it’s more fun to watch my team beat the shitty teams they’re supposed to beat instead of lose to them. That’d be a step in the right direction.
Meh, I shit on the leafs more than enough. I earned my right to shit on a top 2-3 reg season team that gets humiliated every time they face a good team in the playoffs!

Meh, I shit on the leafs more than enough. I earned my right to shit on a top 2-3 reg season team that gets humiliated every time they face a good team in the playoffs!
Easy now, there's plenty of humiliation for everyone to get their proper dose of shitting on.

I would push hard for Slavin. They let Hamilton walk because they don’t like paying so you never know. Could make it interesting for them.

Hard to throw shade at them for beating easy opponents when the Leafs have faced Columbus & Montreal and lost to both.

Again, sure it’s all about the Cup, etc, but as a fan it’s more fun to watch my team beat the shitty teams they’re supposed to beat instead of lose to them. That’d be a step in the right direction.
The idea that only Cups matter is absurd. Of course, that's the ultimate prize... but there are degrees of success. And as a fan, you may as well pack it in if that's the only thing to enjoy. Even the best teams of a generation are "only" winning a Cup or maybe 3 in a decade.

The idea that only Cups matter is absurd. Of course, that's the ultimate prize... but there are degrees of success. And as a fan, you may as well pack it in if that's the only thing to enjoy. Even the best teams of a generation are "only" winning a Cup or maybe 3 in a decade.

that's fine... but not all teams have 50+ year droughts. I'm sure what you describe is a reasonable attitude so long as you're a fan of a team who has at least an average amount of championship success in their league (whatever that works out to). but if they don't a championship carries much greater weight than it "should".

For the record, I never said I'd rather be a leafs fan than canes fans or that the leafs and canes are equivalent. I was simply pointing out that the canes failures have been pretty Leafy and their fanbase is going through a similar crisis as leafs fans right now. They haven't beaten a single decent team in the playoffs since pre covid and get swept nearly every single year. I'm a leafs fan so I don't feel bad, but that's rough!

And tbh the canes have been a better regular season team than the leafs pretty consistently too. So expectations should be even higher but they fail miserably every year.

For the record, I never said I'd rather be a leafs fan than canes fans or that the leafs and canes are equivalent. I was simply pointing out that the canes failures have been pretty Leafy and their fanbase is going through a similar crisis as leafs fans right now. They haven't beaten a single decent team in the playoffs since pre covid and get swept nearly every single year. I'm a leafs fan so I don't feel bad, but that's rough!

And tbh the canes have been a better regular season team than the leafs pretty consistently too. So expectations should be even higher but they fail miserably every year.

Two different programs with two different problems. Canes don't have the high end horses. Leafs don't have the structure & depth.

One commonality though is that neither organization has put an emphasis on goaltending.

Speaking of Tavares

View: https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1788877489269354667?t=umvaUd3-CK0oPQuosOkr-Q

Dude is almost 34 yrs old and was skating like he was 44 for most of the middle of the season....maybe take a break so you can get started on off season training a bit early and sustain your foot speed for more than 3 weeks next season?

Yeah, I also thought this when I saw the news. Totally unnecessary. Also runs the risk of injury for nothing, which most of you would welcome, but I would hate.

No, there is only one metric for success and that's a championship. Everything less than that isn't a "degree of success", it's a degree of FAILURE. Once you start looking at the situation from that angle, you have begun the journey to greatness.

Go back and watch those interviews from locker clean-out day on Monday. It's all bullshit. "We love each other", "Matty's a great guy", We're right there" (even though the guy who said this, Tavares, has only been to the second round once in his entire career and wouldn't know from "right there") "We're treated like gods". Not one guy even mentioned Cups or the pursuit thereof, likely because they knew that they'd have been annihilated by Florida even if they hadn't choked against Boston so what would be the point, right? The Maple Leafs clearly do not concern themselves with thoughts of winning anything real. They just want to have fun, get paid, and hang with their buds. Their metric for what success looks like is nothing like that of their fans or of any serious franchise.

Any scenario in which your season does not end with a Cup parade is a failure and is (or should be) unacceptable, full stop. It is not, and will never be, a "degree of success." Pro sports is a zero-sum proposition. You either win or you fail and when you fail, people need to lose their jobs. Unless or until MLSE takes that approach to how it runs this team, you ain't winning jack shit no matter how many meaningless regular season goals Matthews gets or who is standing behind the bench.

Back