• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

I never thought much of basketball as a teen (prefered the other 3 big pro NA sports) because I didn't understand defensive tactics.

Unlike hockey (goalies), Football (defensive players) and Baseball (pitchers and fielders), basketball appeared to completely favor the offense that seemingly could score at will.

Yeah, the underlying bit about basketball is that elite shot making will beat elite defence more times that not. You listen to the elite on ball defenders talk about guarding guys like Kobe and even the guys who got deep into it like Shane Battier are just playing a percentage game. His goal isn't to stop Kobe throughout a game because you can't, his goal was to make Kobe take X amount of shots from this part of the floor over this shoulder because he shoots a lesser percentage from there in that shot type, Y amount of shots from this other spot for the same reason, etc. Keep him from getting his shot off in the first 8 seconds of the clock because he shoots whatever high ass percentage in transition and early clock situations, etc, etc. If you do all that and Kobe still dropped 45 on you with high efficiency you kind of just shrug and move on to the next game.

I think I finally get what you guys mean when you say goalies are assholes...

Shesty in game 2: 54 saves
Shesty in game 3: 45 saves

That's what you guys meant, right? When a goalie almost singlehandedly dad dicks your playoff hopes, he's being an asshole?

Rod the Bod really struggles with in-series adjustments. The canes just haven't been good. Being basically even in the nerdies on the series with the rags ain't it. They will crush you on special teams and goaltending. Rod has had no answers. And this has been a pattern with him fwiw..

Canes aren't as pathetic as the leafs but they've been pretty fucking loserish for being a top 3 regular season team every year.

Last edited:
The canes just haven't been good.

Ehhhh...they've been better than the Rangers. But Shesty is doing Shesty things and he was straddled with the playoff Muffin Man.

17 scoring chances for at 5v5. 31 in total. 4.37 expected goals for. 5.44 expected goals for in game 2.

Ehhhh...they've been better than the Rangers. But Shesty is doing Shesty things and he was straddled with the playoff Muffin Man.

17 scoring chances for at 5v5. 31 in total. 4.37 expected goals for. 5.44 expected goals for in game 2.
Almost even at 5 on 5 with the canes being a perennial empty calorie nerdies team. And the rags pp is killer so that's gonna tilt things, on top of the obvious goalie advantage. Canes needed to be way better than this.

Kinda interesting how seemingly all but one (I think) of the OT games are being decided in like the first couple of shifts of OT.

Almost even at 5 on 5 with the canes being a perennial empty calorie nerdies team. And the rags pp is killer so that's gonna tilt things, on top of the obvious goalie advantage. Canes needed to be way better than this.

Canes EV xG%

Game 3: 56.93
Game 2: 52.76
Game 1: 55.48

Dunno how much better they're expected to be than a 114 point team.

I think they are showing us the limits of nerdies. They good, very good. Rags are too, but they are also fucken mean.

Canes EV xG%

Game 3: 56.93
Game 2: 52.76
Game 1: 55.48

Dunno how much better they're expected to be than a 114 point team.
Score adjust those pls. 51% on the series. They're not beating an elite pp/goalie with 51% of empty calorie nerdies. Swept two years in a row now possibly. Coach can't crack the code. It's a pattern. Grass ain't as green as it looks under Rod. He has his flaws.

I think they are showing us the limits of nerdies. They good, very good. Rags are too, but they are also fucken mean.

The limits of nerdies is that in the end, high skill players do the things better than lesser skilled players. If you give an elite goal scorer 10 opportunities and Martin Necas 10 opportunities from the same spot, the xG is the same, but Auston/Pasta/Leon/etc has scored 6 times and Necas 2-3 times.

Carolina has always been underpowered where it counts imo. 1 top 30 forward and an absent as fuck playoff goalie isn't going to win a title regardless of your xG

If they get swept it will be the 3rd time in 6 playoff runs Rod Brind’Amour’s team is swept in elimination and the 5th time they lose in 5 or less games. It's a crazy stat for a supposed cup contender. Pretty Leafy. Quite the loser stank.

Back