• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

The limits of nerdies is that in the end, high skill players do the things better than lesser skilled players. If you give an elite goal scorer 10 opportunities and Martin Necas 10 opportunities from the same spot, the xG is the same, but Auston/Pasta/Leon/etc has scored 6 times and Necas 2-3 times.

Carolina has always been underpowered where it counts imo. 1 top 30 forward and an absent as fuck playoff goalie isn't going to win a title regardless of your xG

I guess Svechnikov was supposed to be that guy? Not quite. Not yet.

Good team, but they lack that cutting edge.

Their only accomplishment over the last few years has been beating the Islanders a few times. I'm sure even the leafs could have done that.

Ok probably not but still. Loser organization. Let's make a trade with them.

If they get swept it will be the 3rd time in 6 playoff runs Rod Brind’Amour’s team is swept in elimination and the 5th time they lose in 5 or less games. It's a crazy stat for a supposed cup contender. Pretty Leafy. Quite the loser stank.

Assuming they lose this series, in six seasons Brind’Amour’s teams will have:

• Made the playoffs every season
  • Only lost in the 1st round once
  • Made it to the 3rd round twice

That stank >> our stank

I guess Svechnikov was supposed to be that guy? Not quite. Not yet.

Good team, but they lack that cutting edge.

Yeah, Svech was supposed to be the star that elevated the program. 24 yrs old now though and a 25-30/60-70 guy isn't that. It's more of what they had already.

Assuming they lose this series, in six seasons Brind’Amour’s teams will have:

• Made the playoffs every season
  • Only lost in the 1st round once
  • Made it to the 3rd round twice

That stank >> our stank
Cups: 0-0

Don't care about participation ribbons tbh. Getting swept every year once you face a real team isn't my vision of what success looks like

I love Svech. When Willy was holding out and trade rumors were swirling, I was open to a Svech deal.

But his numbers aren't all that. I don't know if it's the Carolina system or if he just didn't develop into that total monster he looked like he'd become, so I don't know what to make of him now. He is someone who could reach another level, and he would give us that element of real power forward we've been lacking (Bertuzzi is a ghost compared to him). If he came in, plus another couple of guys, then maybe the volume add would be more valuable to us than what Marner brings on his own.

Still too hesitant to test it out though.

Ok probably not but still. Loser organization. Let's make a trade with them.

It's funny though. We do have some of what they need and we have some of what they need. There really do need a game breaker offensive talent to lift everyone around them and we could definitely use a good top 6 talent on a reasonable deal and a #2 defender.

Don't care about participation ribbons tbh. Getting swept every year once you face a real team isn't my vision of what success looks like

Look at their rosters though. Gotta judge coaches on what they're getting out of the horses they're given.

It's funny though. We do have some of what they need and we have some of what they need. There really do need a game breaker offensive talent to lift everyone around them and we could definitely use a good top 6 talent on a reasonable deal and a #2 defender.
Half their D is going UFA so no need to trade for them if one of those guys is the target. I don't think they move Slavin (but if they did, that's one to explore big time), and the only other one is Morrow who is totally unproven.

Just Pesce and Skjei. They probably try to keep Pesce. Skjei is gone though, yeah. I was speaking in generalities re: Marner anyway, not specifically looking to move Marner there. Marner doesn't really fit their need (star offensive performer who can whip out his dick in a playoff series...that's not our Mitchy) and they're pretty orthodox about players fitting into certain contract value structures according to internal metrics. I'm going to bet Mitchy's asking price on his next deal is outside of that structure. On our end, as mentioned the only defender who really makes sense is Slavin and they're not trading him and yeah the other guys are potentially going to market. A year ago something like Svech + Skjei would have been interesting though.

This is a very WeHaveian view of things.

More playoff success > less playoff success, period.

And uhh, I enjoy watching my favourite team play playoff games? So the more playoff games they get to play in any given year the better, whatever the ultimate result.

So I’ll take getting to the 3rd round and getting swept over losing a 1st round series in 7 games.

And uhh, I enjoy watching my favourite team play playoff games? So the more playoff games they get to play in any given year the better, whatever the ultimate result.

So I’ll take getting to the 3rd round and getting swept over losing a 1st round series in 7 games.
Congratulations. They beat the Islanders every year. Where's the banner?

You can be happy with that. I'll take neither. They're both failed joke organizations, even if one is worse than the other. Ultimately getting swept every time you face a half decent team feels pretty loserish to me. I'd be disgusted if I were a Canes fan just as I am as a Leafs fan!

Also

ouch-of-coach-reaction-fifa-football-52e4w7734zilpki2.gif

That cut deep

Just Pesce and Skjei. They probably try to keep Pesce. Skjei is gone though, yeah. I was speaking in generalities re: Marner anyway, not specifically looking to move Marner there. Marner doesn't really fit their need (star offensive performer who can whip out his dick in a playoff series...that's not our Mitchy) and they're pretty orthodox about players fitting into certain contract value structures according to internal metrics. I'm going to bet Mitchy's asking price on his next deal is outside of that structure. On our end, as mentioned the only defender who really makes sense is Slavin and they're not trading him and yeah the other guys are potentially going to market. A year ago something like Svech + Skjei would have been interesting though.
I'm so sure that Marner would have an epic playoff run on the very first try with his new team that it depresses me just thinking of it.

But it would be kinda exciting to turn Marner into two or three really good assets like Svech and a top end D. And then sign another top end D in UFA. It would be a big infusion of talent at multiple positions that could get us over the top.

Tough call really, but easy call to not let Tre handle any trade like that, so again I'm back to just resigning him.

Truthfully, with the following developments - Keefe out and new coach in, bottom half of the team revamped, Mitch signed to Willy's $11.5M deal, two really good UFA dmen brought in - we might be good to go. I think I have to try that for one year and then pull the plug on it if it yields no added success.

Congratulations. They beat the Islanders every year. Where's the banner?

You can be happy with that. I'll take neither. They're both failed joke organizations, even if one is worse than the other. Ultimately getting swept every time you face a half decent team feels pretty loserish to me. I'd be disgusted if I were a Canes fan just as I am as a Leafs fan!

Hard to throw shade at them for beating easy opponents when the Leafs have faced Columbus & Montreal and lost to both.

Again, sure it’s all about the Cup, etc, but as a fan it’s more fun to watch my team beat the shitty teams they’re supposed to beat instead of lose to them. That’d be a step in the right direction.

Back