• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

The Sharks were JTs 2nd choice and they have a ton of cap space and will want good vets to play with Celebrini and Smith.

Perfect captain for those guys.

Tavares following in the footsteps of Marleau & Thornton as Sharks captain would be hilariously perfect.

And not a bad place at all for JT & family to spend their cap exile for a year.

Any rebuilding team with cap space would be interested in Tavares, if Tavares will agree to waive his NMC to go there.

He’s an $11M cap hit, but will only cost you $910K in actual salary after the Leafs pay out his signing bonus for this coming season.

He’s also allegedly a good leaderbean to have around your young players. And because he’s only a one-year commitment and puts up OK counting stats, you’d almost certainly be able to flip him for a decent return at the deadline.

That said, I don’t expect the Leafs would get much of a return for him. The “return” would mainly just be dumping his cap hit. But I also don’t think the Leafs would need to cough up any real assets to get someone to take him, for the reasons stated above.
NMC.

Moving him at deadline could prove difficult.

I just don't see why Ottawa would want him and especially want to help the Leafs.

Tavares is perfect for the Leafs. Local guy, loves being a Leaf, can handle what this media market throws at him (see Keefe’s comments yesterday) and has learned a lot about what it takes to win it all.

Why do you guys think a rebuilding (again) Ottawa will want Tavares let alone give up young assets for him? I think it's highly highly unlikely.
Leafs players like Tavares and Marner are being paid in real cash like 4th liners. That's a big deal, but never mentioned.

NMC.

I’m still not convinced he’ll agree to waive his NMC for the Leafs in the first place.

But if he does, I’m not sure why he’s then invoke it to remain on whatever shitty bottom-feeder we dump him to instead of going to a contender at the deadline.

I just don't see why Ottawa would want him and especially want to help the Leafs.

View: https://x.com/senators/status/697090366152011776?s=46&t=slvKDnX1n9ri7D4jpSVVzA

NMC.

They get a hall of famer that isn't even that old for almost 0 real money that they can then flip at the deadline probably for more than what they trade to the leafs. Are they THAT motivated to not help the Leafs? It would clearly be beneficial to their organization to do this.

They take on the AAV, and his trade value will reflect that aav. Come the deadline that's less of a concern and they can likely flip him for a 1st+ if they're not in a playoff spot. It's simply tidy business.

Contending teams don’t care about “real money” they lust after cap room so they can add talent.

Rebuilding teams don’t care about 1 yr rentals.

The Yotes were pretty much the only team that salivated at the prospect of hitting the cap floor as cheaply as possible… and they skipped town

The thing with the Sens is that they are:
  • Capped out
  • Locked into a core that just isn't winning
  • Their stars are signed to 8 mil aav for long-term
I suggested earlier a Marner (11aav) for Tkachuck (8.2aav) + Chychrun (4.6) deal. Marner would get Stutzle to 50 goals annually and Tkachuck would give the Leafs that "power forward" that they have been missing (plus he is really good). The one snag is Chychrun would get you a first at the deadline.

For Tavares, I wonder if a Chabot + salary cap filler would work as Ottawa has really soured on Chabot

The thing with the Sens is that they are:
  • Capped out
  • Locked into a core that just isn't winning
  • Their stars are signed to 8 mil aav for long-term
I suggested earlier a Marner (11aav) for Tkachuck (8.2aav) + Chychrun (4.6) deal. Marner would get Stutzle to 50 goals annually and Tkachuck would give the Leafs that "power forward" that they have been missing (plus he is really good). The one snag is Chychrun would get you a first at the deadline.

For Tavares, I wonder if a Chabot + salary cap filler would work as Ottawa has really soured on Chabot
alot of insanity here.

Contending teams don’t care about “real money” they lust after cap room so they can add talent.

Rebuilding teams don’t care about 1 yr rentals.

The Yotes were pretty much the only team that salivated at the prospect of hitting the cap floor as cheaply as possible… and they skipped town

There is a whole class of teams between the two though, who are just trying to make the playoffs. Philly, Pittsburgh, Jersey, Washington, NYI, Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa, Nashville, St Louis, Minnesota, LAK, Seattle are neither contenders, nor rebuilding. 1 (guaranteed) year of Tavares on the cheap with the possibility of extending him as a veteran top 6 guy for minimum cash and nothing but cap space (while being able to send a contract back) might definitely be interesting to them.

For example, from that list:

Seattle: Tavares for Gourde
Minnesota: Tavares for Spurgeon
Blues: Tavares for Hayes
Penguins: Tavares for Karlsson

So on and so forth.

I do agree that there aren't any contenders who will be interested in Tavares, definitely. Don't necessarily agree about rebuilding teams not being interested though as extending John as a good veteran to have around your kids isn't the worst idea either and Tavares wouldn't be the only guy to forego being on a contender for cheap in chase of one last bag (Giroux, Killorn, Eberle just in the last little bit).

Last edited:
NMC.

If he waived to go to, just for arguments sake, Ottawa for whatever his reasons were (close enough to home to minimally disrupt his family life, etc). Why would he not waive to go to a contender trying to trade for him at the deadline? It's like 8-12 weeks of actual disruption (assuming they've stayed in Toronto most of the time) with him being in a new city further away.

It's the life of a professional athlete being paid 8 figures to play a kids game.

There is a whole class of teams between the two though, who are just trying to make the playoffs. Philly, Pittsburgh, Jersey, Washington, NYI, Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa, Nashville, St Louis, Minnesota, LAK, Seattle are neither contenders, nor rebuilding. 1 (guaranteed) year of Tavares on the cheap with the possibility of extending him as a veteran top 6 guy for minimum cash and nothing but cap space (while being able to send a contract back) might definitely be interesting to them.

For example, from that list:

Seattle: Tavares for Gourde
Philly:
Minnesota: Tavares for Spurgeon
Blues: Tavares for Hayes
Penguins: Tavares for Karlsson

So on and so forth.

I do agree that there aren't any contenders who will be interested in Tavares, definitely. Don't necessarily agree about rebuilding teams not being interested though as extending John as a good veteran to have around your kids isn't the worst idea either and Tavares wouldn't be the only guy to forego being on a contender for cheap in chase of one last bag (Giroux, Killorn, Eberle just in the last little bit).

No doubt that JT can be traded — I just think the frequently cited “real money” angle isn’t what makes the deal happen.

They get a hall of famer that isn't even that old for almost 0 real money that they can then flip at the deadline probably for more than what they trade to the leafs. Are they THAT motivated to not help the Leafs? It would clearly be beneficial to their organization to do this.

They take on the AAV, and his trade value will reflect that aav. Come the deadline that's less of a concern and they can likely flip him for a 1st+ if they're not in a playoff spot. It's simply tidy business.
That's a Montreal under Hughes type move. I doubt you'll see that in Ottawa unless Andlauer is also poaching Montreal's game plan.

If he waived to go to, just for arguments sake, Ottawa for whatever his reasons were (close enough to home to minimally disrupt his family life, etc). Why would he not waive to go to a contender trying to trade for him at the deadline? It's like 8-12 weeks of actual disruption (assuming they've stayed in Toronto most of the time) with him being in a new city further away.

It's the life of a professional athlete being paid 8 figures to play a kids game.
So pull a Monahan?

With retention perhaps.

Andlauer is not Melnyk

The club will be run differently

full

Back