• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Is the Edmonton Pizza thing real? I thought it was a joke.

I mean I guess it's no worse than the current backstory of a Greek dude opening a pizza joint in Edmonton and naming it after a city 4000 miles away with predominantly Irish heritage, not at all known for pizza.
Boston Pizza is the joke. Edmonton Pizza is the unexpected punchline.

Wait, what? This is the guy you were clamoring for us to get.

Yeah, he's a really good 1A. But he's never played more than 49 games in a season. Not many guys are durable enough to maintain their peak for 60+ games. I wanted him because for 45-50 games a year we're as close to guaranteed well above average goaltending as we were going to find and it provided Woll (or Hildeby) with a really good veteran 1A to get sheltered by.

Yeah, he's a really good 1A. But he's never played more than 49 games in a season. Not many guys are durable enough to maintain their peak for 60+ games. I wanted him because for 45-50 games a year we're as close to guaranteed well above average goaltending as we were going to find and it provided Woll (or Hildeby) with a really good veteran 1A to get sheltered by.
That's crazy talk. Paying $5M for term at his age, with zero playoff results, and you're only penciling him in for 45-50 games?

That's exactly why I wanted no part of him. Ottawa will get better, but not in any way that'll matter.

Okay, so Verhaeghe and Ceci already playing critical roles.

Next up Hyman and Rodrigues.

Any other former Leafs property in this game? They're due.

That's crazy talk. Paying $5M for term at his age, with zero playoff results, and you're only penciling him in for 45-50 games?

That's exactly why I wanted no part of him. Ottawa will get better, but not in any way that'll matter.
I bet Ullmark gets more than 5m in any extension. Guess it depends on how long his contract is tho.

Strange, our coach said stretch passes sux and we need to dump it in, but apparently these saved oil playoffs

That's crazy talk.

It's really not.

Paying $5M for term at his age, with zero playoff results, and you're only penciling him in for 45-50 games?

It's a brave new world. Only 5 goalies made more than 55 starts last year, and only 2 of those 5 had average or better SV%. You need two goalies, and if you can get a guy who is going to give you top ~5ish performance when he has the net for 45-50 games, get him.

Back