• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Leafs core have never missed the playoffs. And yes, that's a big deal. 2024 it's the toughest ever to make the playoffs.
Nick Suzuki? Good luck.

I'm also not in love with that future cup contender Anaheim's core either. Let's see.
Ah, so making the playoffs is how we define greatness now? Hmm-kay. And what does it say about the core of a team when it makes the playoffs every year only to do a face plant in the first round? That's "success" now? You're happy with that?

I dont care how supposedly tough it is to make the playoffs. My message to ANY team is simple: Win the Cup or STFU. Anything less than total victory is failure. And when a team fails as consistently as the Leafs do every year, people need to lose their jobs, and I don't just mean coaches or GM's. Your core ain't winning you Jack Burton. It's high time that management had the balls to mess with it.

Yeah, there’s so much to learn from organizations that find a way to land Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid

Ah, so making the playoffs is how we define greatness now? Hmm-kay. And what does it say about the core of a team when it makes the playoffs every year only to do a face plant in the first round? That's "success" now? You're happy with that?

I dont care how supposedly tough it is to make the playoffs. My message to ANY team is simple: Win the Cup or STFU. Anything less than total victory is failure. And when a team fails as consistently as the Leafs do every year, people need to lose their jobs, and I don't just mean coaches or GM's. Your core ain't winning you Jack Burton. It's high time that management had the balls to mess with it.
Fans like to knock Leafs making the playoffs (They even try so hard to say they missed playoffs in 2020), but it's REALLY hard to make the playoffs. If you can't get the last WC, STFU. Losing in the 1st round in 7 games to a top cup contender isn't the same as being a bottom feeder yearly.
I'm really questioning how good these acclaimed cores are in many hyped markets.

Yeah, there’s so much to learn from organizations that find a way to land Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid
One thing to learn is don't trade for Griffin Reinhart to lead your D and give-up a first rounder for him after getting McDavid.

Leafs hit on 3 straight top 10 picks, which was huge. Yes, Matthews was easy, but not sure of the other 2. Many wanted Big stud D Ivan Provorov instead of marner.

Fans like to knock Leafs making the playoffs (They even try so hard to say they missed playoffs in 2020), but it's REALLY hard to make the playoffs. If you can't get the last WC, STFU. Losing in the 1st round in 7 games to a top cup contender isn't the same as being a bottom feeder yearly.
I'm really questioning how good these acclaimed cores are in many hyped markets.
Sometimes the Leafs lose to Cup contenders. Other times they lose to Columbus or the Habs. This proves that it really doesn't matter who the opponents are; the problems are inside the dressing room.

One thing to learn is don't trade for Griffin Reinhart to lead your D and give-up a first rounder for him after getting McDavid.

Leafs hit on 3 straight top 10 picks, which was huge. Yes, Matthews was easy, but not sure of the other 2. Many wanted Big stud D Ivan Provorov instead of marner.
I thought it was hanafin over marner.

It was both. Provorov was also mentioned. But you are correct.

One issue Arizona always had was they whiffed quite bad over the years on a lot of top 10 picks. Probably because they paid their scouts in food stamps. It can be tough to do that 3 years in a row like Leafs did.

Yeah, the debate at the time was which of Dylan Strome, Noah Hanifin or Mitch Marner the Leafs would take with that pick.

The only person I can remember pushing hard for Provorov was Damien Cox. He was promoting him as the guy the Leafs should pick for a week or two leading up to the draft, then wrote an angry article the day after bashing them for taking Marner instead.

Would be tough to fit his caphit in here. Fit would make some sense tho.

But there's probably teams out there with a bigger need for a scoring center that'll give up more.

The irony is that all these adorable leafs hating atlantic epic rebuild teams should have always been learning from the leafs' rebuild - don't commit yourself to a core if they can't even get out of the basement, just because they're young and kinda skilled. Keep yourself cheap and flexible until you actually have some kids that make the team actually good first.

But hey if they want to keep locking themselves into non-playoffs cores i'm more than here for it.

Habs have slaf and hutson and hopefully demidov and reinbacher as very young potential core guys. Other good cheap youngsters in guhle barron harris. Dach might bounce back still and is cheap. Montembault is older but as long as he's fairly cheap i keep a good underrated goalie.

Trade anything else that can help potentially land some more real core pieces. Suzuki might slot in as a 2C on a contender but the habs aren't contending any time soon and Suzuki isn't that young. He could get a nice young asset in return. Caufield is fatally flawed and probably never a core piece but again might get something good in return
No man the absolute irony is that Suzuki and Caufield won 3 times as many playoffs rounds as your amazing cup contending core. In half the time.

Back