• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around the League 2019-2024 Edition

Rod watching the Leafs situation closely.

c03bc90ea97844e871bb824456e053d40a88267d.gifv

View: https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1785731186884575469?t=DDdoScxyiF2jtHCO5k8bGQ&s=19

Test the market = use the Leafs for a better offer.

I'm sure with all his history there, he doesn't want to leave, unfortunately.

Yeah, there's no better offer coming from Dundon. Not significantly better. If it was just a matter of ponying up another few hundred grand for Rod it would be done by now. Rod wants to get paid what he's worth (top 3-5 coach in the league money) and he wants his staff to get paid. Daniels & Gleason have been his Ass' for a few years now and he wants them paid like top end assistants (400-500K) which is probably double what they're making in Carolina.

What's probably likely is Rod leaves, takes one of the two, and the other takes the head coaching job.

Would he leave his home for a few bucks?

You know Sheldon makes more than he does, right?

It's more than a couple of bucks. Rod makes 1.8 million and top coaches make 4.5-5 million.

and Rod wants his staff to get paid what he feels they're worth as well. So the discrepency here is probably 3-4 million a year between what Rod wants overall and what Dundon wants to pay.

You know Sheldon makes more than he does, right?

It's more than a couple of bucks. Rod makes 1.8 million and top coaches make 4.5-5 million.

and Rod wants his staff to get paid what he feels they're worth as well. So the discrepency here is probably 3-4 million a year between what Rod wants overall and what Dundon wants to pay.
I know all that, but he's been with that franchise in multiple capacities for so long.

I'm sure he's got plenty of money. If say the offer is $2.5M even, would he trade his situation to join the Leafs for a couple mill more a year?

I mean, dollars usually drive, but there are certain situations with certain individuals that I wonder if they'd be moved.

On a related note, I've been wondering about this too...

With Stamkos going UFA, and TB looking to be on the downswing, would he want to actually come home this time on some shorter Marleau-esque deal?

If say the offer is $2.5M even, would he trade his situation to join the Leafs for a couple mill more a year?

Asked and answered.

Also, you keep leaving out his staff, who he's told Dundon are getting significant raises and that's been like pulling teeth.

Rod did well for himself by mortal standards, but he made about 54 mill in career earnings over a 20 year career. Factor in expenses over 20 years and taxes, if he retired with ~15 million in assets he did pretty, pretty okay. Again, outstanding by mortal standards, but not so much by professional athlete standards.

While he's been in Carolina a long time with the franchise, Dundon is a new owner. Nothing makes you interested in what's out in the world for you like a new boss.

Brind'Amour has stated numerous times that he has little interest in being an NHL coach anywhere else. He has lived in Raleigh for over 20 years. His mother in law is an NC State alum.

Sorry, but he isn't going to chase a bag to become some other team's head coach now. Raleigh is his home and has been for almost 25 years.

The only thing the Leafs might shake loose from the Canes in the offseason are UFAs Brett Pesce or Brady Skjei (or both?) Their top priority should be improving their D. Skjei will be looking for north of $7 million with Pesce $5.5-6.5 million. Canes cannot sign both.

On a related note, I've been wondering about this too...

With Stamkos going UFA, and TB looking to be on the downswing, would he want to actually come home this time on some shorter Marleau-esque deal?
I think Stamkos is still going to get paid by a team well under the cap.

Back