• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

Keith Yandle played his 965th straight game tonight and is now the all-time NHL Ironman.
It's easy to be an ironman in a tinfoil league where almost nobody really hits or fights anymore. Back in the days of Jarvis and Unger you had to be a man to play this game.

It's easy to be an ironman in a tinfoil league where almost nobody really hits or fights anymore. Back in the days of Jarvis and Unger you had to be a man to play this game.

Thats a hell of a stat , cmon

Durable , plus a D that played significant minutes over a decade

If it was easy you would have way more ironman streaks

Most players dont make it through a season without missing a game

What he and Marleau did is incredible in any era

Bullshit.

So the only way for the Habs to get good players is to let them live in a country club atmosphere where there are no standards for performance and no fan expectations? What would be the point of that? Without pressure, even good players will slack off and not win. Just look at the Leafs in the playoffs for proof. All those superstars that the Leafs fanbase and media fawn over and as soon as the postseason begins they lay an egg.

Fuck that. A Cup parade or we make your lives a living hell. Want us fans to get off your backs? Deliver to us the championships that are owed to us by virtue of our birthright as Habs fans.

THe canadian market drives league revenues. Many US based teams wish they had fans as passionate. Players need to watch what they ask for. If the fans stop caring the league stops paying.

THe canadian market drives league revenues. Many US based teams wish they had fans as passionate. Players need to watch what they ask for. If the fans stop caring the league stops paying.

They want the passion without the obsession that often goes too far and affect players. Boston Bruins fans are passionate, yet it rarely seems to be at the detriment of the players.

They want the passion without the obsession that often goes too far and affect players. Boston Bruins fans are passionate, yet it rarely seems to be at the detriment of the players.

It doesnt help with a douchebag media that stirs the pot more

Other than some 20,000 from Southie the avg Boston person barely gives a rats ass about the NHL, they are diehard NCAA fans though - BC, BU, Northeastern, high school prep etc.

Same for other US “hotbeds” - NYC and Minny

I’ll tell you what, I don’t need a boss looking constantly over my shoulders for every move I make - multiply that by 5M for Habs players in Mtl.

F*ck that!

Give me more take home coin, beach, sun and complete autonomy.. w one beat writer asking me 3-weeks in advance if they can talk to me for 15-min.

Last edited:
I’ll tell you what, I don’t need a boss looking constantly over my shoulders for every move I make - multiply that by 5M for Habs players in Mtl.

F*ck that!

Give me more take home coin, beach, sun and complete autonomy.. w one beat writer asking me 3-weeks in advance if they can talk to me for 15-min.

Exactly , and thats why lets stop trying to lure good players to Montreal when their options are superior elsewhere

No need to spend like a fool only to make mistakes

Lets focus on what we can fix.....draft and develop and then retain like we did with Suzuki

Other than some 20,000 from Southie the avg Boston person barely gives a rats ass about the NHL, they are diehard NCAA fans though - BC, BU, Northeastern, high school prep etc.

Same for other US “hotbeds” - NYC and Minny
Pretty much every person I've met from Boston is a Bruins fan. Similar to Detroit and Pittsburgh. Hardcore fans in NYC seems to be Islanders. I've never met a Rangers fan.

No doubt the obsession is carried to the extreme in Canada. The bottom line is it matters more to us. In cities like Boston, Chicago, New York, there are other major sports to distract and divide. People are all different. I certainly would not want the spotlight. Some people thrive in it. It isn't one size fits all. If we can build a core, learn to develop talent things will change. Free agents like to sign with contenders. Unfortunately that's a far away dream right now.

No doubt the obsession is carried to the extreme in Canada. The bottom line is it matters more to us. In cities like Boston, Chicago, New York, there are other major sports to distract and divide. People are all different. I certainly would not want the spotlight. Some people thrive in it. It isn't one size fits all. If we can build a core, learn to develop talent things will change. Free agents like to sign with contenders. Unfortunately that's a far away dream right now.
I also believe it’s cultural - just look at how the Habs seem to have more fortune signing skilled American UFAs (Gionta, Cole, Petry) who seem to embrace the attention vs local Quebec products for example.

Generally speaking, I find in the US athlete embraces the “star effect” much more so than the “good CDN kid” in hockey - I know tax implications on bonus heavy deals is favorable for American players, but maybe its also because most of the CDN players are small town / rural boys.

I also believe it’s cultural - just look at how the Habs seem to have more fortune signing skilled American UFAs (Gionta, Cole, Petry) who seem to embrace the attention vs local Quebec products for example.

Generally speaking, I find in the US athlete embraces the “star effect” much more so than the “good CDN kid” in hockey - I know tax implications on bonus heavy deals is favorable for American players, but maybe its also because most of the CDN players are small town / rural boys.
I agree. I would add that Russians as well that seems to enjoy The spotlight and being in a hockey environment.

I also think it depends on the mentality. Americans like Kessel and MaxPac didn't really enjoy the spotlight and heightened expectations.

They stir the pot about the wrong things. Rejean Tremblay is apoplectic about the fact that anglos are running the Habs but said next to nothing about how Bergevin and a series of ham and egg francophone coaches were running the franchise off a cliff for close to a decade.

Back