• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

Add this to the constant headshots being allowed and you get the NHL firmly in bush league status. I am in disbelief at the cluster fuck that ensued in this game.

So Ovechkin can’t play cards in a hotel room with his Russian teammates, but the Bolts can have a Super Bowl watch party ??

I’m confused here

NHL = Bush League

What's so confusing?

I think it's time for new leadership in the league. Someone younger not tied to the dinosaurs and their way of thinking.

All you need to know about the NHL is that Colin Campbell influenced referees in how they called the game when his son was playing, and the NHL swept it under the rug and called it no big deal.

No big deal? Motherfucker, you're protecting one of the most influential people in the NHL who was changing the way refs called games.

I'm of the same opinion (albeit for different reasons) as Dan Carcillo. I love hockey, but I don't like the NHL one bit.

Unrelated to this, but kind of relevant. There was a study done on all the missed calls from umpires in MLB, you can read it here: https://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/mlb-umpires-strike-zone-accuracy/

What the study concluded, among other things, that the 10 best umpires were mostly young, in their early to mid 30s without much MLB experience, whereas the worst ones were almost all 50 years older with tons of MLB experience.

I bring that up to say, that study points out something that is a cosmos of society, companies are always looking for young, bright minds with new ideas and energy. Unfair as it may be, but a 25 year old usually has more energy than a 55 year old.

There's a lot of people living off reputations built from work they did decades ago.

It's the mentality of "I've been doing this for 25 years, don't tell me where the strike zone is". I've seen this sort of thing in almost every industry too, it's bad.

Yeah. I have tenure, I have experience, I know to look for, I am---- what do you mean I have to use a computer? N X L sheet? That's all too complicated for me.

When I followed baseball closely, umps would actually boast about having their own strike zone. Like they were Biblical scholars interpreting a mysterious rulebook.

All you need to know about the NHL is that Colin Campbell influenced referees in how they called the game when his son was playing, and the NHL swept it under the rug and called it no big deal.

No big deal? Motherfucker, you're protecting one of the most influential people in the NHL who was changing the way refs called games.

I'm of the same opinion (albeit for different reasons) as Dan Carcillo. I love hockey, but I don't like the NHL one bit.

Unrelated to this, but kind of relevant. There was a study done on all the missed calls from umpires in MLB, you can read it here: https://www.bu.edu/articles/2019/mlb-umpires-strike-zone-accuracy/

What the study concluded, among other things, that the 10 best umpires were mostly young, in their early to mid 30s without much MLB experience, whereas the worst ones were almost all 50 years older with tons of MLB experience.

I bring that up to say, that study points out something that is a cosmos of society, companies are always looking for young, bright minds with new ideas and energy. Unfair as it may be, but a 25 year old usually has more energy than a 55 year old.

There's a lot of people living off reputations built from work they did decades ago.
Or the old umps are just set in their ways in what a strike zone should be.

Not surprising

Racism is always cool and hip when you're not talking about those "below" you. You remember right after the draft when some guy (who is still gainfully employed & respected at La Presse) asked Timmins if he even had any Québécois on his draft list?

That Marco D'Amico guy sometimes does hits on the same radio station that has Rejean Tremblay on regularly and that I've heard myself say much worse than what he wrote in that column. I'm willing to bet he'll still go on without much issue.

We need GGpX to evaluate Givani Smith's junior ppg stats and whether he has a shot at being a regular NHL player.
I have no idea.

He's one of the many players that have been drafted in my lifetime that have a big body, is tough, and teams hope he'll figure out the rest and become a powerforward. Best of luck to him.

Gotta think 56-game season is now in jeopardy and may end up 40G and counting down...

America's generalized apathy to the virus isn't helping.

The Tokyo Olympics might get cancelled with Florida offering to save the day, so maybe there's a chance the season can be extended a little. Who knows...

Back