• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League - 2024-25 Regular Season

#FrancisFuckedUp

or maybe he’s deliberately tanking — solid franchise players coming up next yr and the subsequent year

#FrancisFuckedUp

or maybe he’s deliberately tanking — solid franchise players coming up next yr and the subsequent year
Gord Miller said yesterday scouts are licking their chops for next 3-drafts, and have been for a while due to depth of talent w franchise players at top of each draft

#FrancisFuckedUp

Even if he's tanking, take picks from teams that are scared of losing players, or flip some players.
He left way better players, with cheap contracts, on the table. There were deals to be had for sure.

Even if he's tanking, take picks from teams that are scared of losing players, or flip some players.
He left way better players, with cheap contracts, on the table. There were deals to be had for sure.

Teams said no side deals this time around .

We are losing 1 player , take your pick

Who are the way better players that would of made a difference ?

Teams said no side deals this time around .

We are losing 1 player , take your pick

Who are the way better players that would of made a difference ?

Leaks (and so far they've been accurate) before the draft that Francis prices were outrageous and that the ask to make Seattle ignore a player was a 1st and a solid prospect. If that's anywhere near the truth then of course no side deals were made.

You seem to think that all GMs got smarter this time, I don't think so, GMs are not smarter, they never have been, not collectively anyway, and you'll see it again during free agency. I think Francis fucked up.

Leaks (and so far they've been accurate) before the draft that Francis prices were outrageous and that the ask to make Seattle ignore a player was a 1st and a solid prospect. If that's anywhere near the truth then of course no side deals were made.

You seem to think that all GMs got smarter this time, I don't think so, GMs are not smarter, they never have been, not collectively anyway, and you'll see it again during free agency. I think Francis fucked up.

Flat cap killed the side bets

Teams simply let their overpaid vets litter the expansion lists

There was no Theodore or Tuch for free this time around

Keep the powder dry with massive cap space to utilize down the road

The younger Marchessault , Smith , Karlson`s etc.... were replaced with older Gourde`s or Eberle types

The expensive types like Tarasenko couldnt be flipped to anyone because all teams are trying to dump their same player

Optics were totally different this time , Francis has no 5+ year building blocks to start with .

I get that teams learned their lessons and improved and I wasn't expecting the same level of wheeling and dealing that happened last time, but down to 0?? Nothing??? No way. GMs are always looking to deal, it's in their nature, but it takes 2 to tango. There was offers to flip Tarasenko, with some salary retained, not sure what the offers were, but Dunn was available and that was a good pick.

You were asking me about better player picks?

Jake Bean over Geekie
Adam Gaudette over John Quenneville
Christian Fischer over a 4th round pick (Pitlick)
Domi over Bayreuther
Athanasiou over MacDermid
Voracek or Van Riemsdyk over Twarynski
Donato over True

Of those 7 picks, only Geekie will be an NHLer.

Yeah makes no sense. I am mildly confused about this situation. It lends credence to what Canes fans complained about re Francis: The least interesting man in the world. Kind of suits his playing days. The least interesting 1800 career points player in league history.

Yeah makes no sense. I am mildly confused about this situation. It lends credence to what Canes fans complained about re Francis: The least interesting man in the world. Kind of suits his playing days. The least interesting 1800 career points player in league history.

I went through his 4 seasons with Carolina and he acquired nobody by trade in 4 seasons. It's quite impressive really.

The man just goes about his job. Bashing his quiet demeanor isn't necessary imo.

The man just goes about his job. Bashing his quiet demeanor isn't necessary imo.

But the job he is doing is crap that much is obvious from the last few days. It might have something to do with his personality. Maybe he is just non-committal and timid. Wrong choice of post career profession in hockey ops perhaps?

Kraken have a more solid fanbase compared to Vegas when they entered the league....Seattle people know hockey more than Vegas people. Kraken ownership is ok with building slowly.

Kraken have a more solid fanbase compared to Vegas when they entered the league....Seattle people know hockey more than Vegas people. Kraken ownership is ok with building slowly.

Ok great still doesnt explain the choices listed above instead of better choices who could be flipped for futures at the deadline.

Reactions: CH1
I get that teams learned their lessons and improved and I wasn't expecting the same level of wheeling and dealing that happened last time, but down to 0?? Nothing??? No way. GMs are always looking to deal, it's in their nature, but it takes 2 to tango. There was offers to flip Tarasenko, with some salary retained, not sure what the offers were, but Dunn was available and that was a good pick.

You were asking me about better player picks?

Jake Bean over Geekie
Adam Gaudette over John Quenneville
Christian Fischer over a 4th round pick (Pitlick)
Domi over Bayreuther
Athanasiou over MacDermid
Voracek or Van Riemsdyk over Twarynski
Donato over True

Of those 7 picks, only Geekie will be an NHLer.

Other than Bean`s possible upside the others are junk and had no value

Would you take JVR or Voracek for free right now ?

If I was an expansion team, yeah. If 50% retention for two years nets me several top 60 picks, then why not? Francis values cap space. Cap space is valuable when you are contending and need to add final pieces. Not during infancy like he is now.

They're all better than the crap they picked.

As for JVR or Voracek? Yes. Probably more JVR, only 2 years left at 7M, still productive, was on pace for 30G, 76 pts last year. Good value on a short term deal. Hell I'd take him on the Habs right now.

I went through his 4 seasons with Carolina and he acquired nobody by trade in 4 seasons. It's quite impressive really.
Didn’t Francis acquire Teravainen + Bickell cap dump for a 2nd round pick to bail out Hawks in 2015 or was that Rutherford? IMO that’s what he was looking for at expansion draft but fellow GMs got smart, and wouldn’t offer up the high picks

Under his guidance Canes did draft a slew of big & mobile PMD - Fleury, Slavin, Pesce etc.

Back