• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

I think Kuznetsov's issues were less about focus/effort and more about the fact that he was never in any kind of real hockey shape this season. Spending a month in rehab certainly didn't help that either. I think he cared once he got here and got in the middle of a playoff run, but he was just too much of a shell of himself to do anything about it ... or at least not on a nightly basis. It's a shame because he's still got enough skill in his hands to be a heck of a lot of fun to watch when he's on, but that guy burned himself out years ago. He was a low cost gamble for the Canes and while it didn't pay off big, he won them a couple of games. I'd call it a wash.

Presuming the contract cancellation comes through, of course. His agent spent some time throwing cold water on those rumors this afternoon. Of course, he would. He's probably not getting a cut of any deal Kuzy signs in Russia.

BTW, this is the best outcome for everyone. Kuznetsov gets to go finish his career in a league where he can actually compete and potentially shine. Carolina gets the the cap space and the roster spot, which is pretty much just as important. The Caps don't have to write checks for nothing next season and free up a retention slot. From Carolina's perspective, Kuzy was pretty much just getting paid to give you shootout goals and maybe 5 or 6 highlight reel moments. Otherwise, he was below replacement level.

Buckle up ... one of the more ridiculous rumor sites has been floating "big news" that Carolina is moving Jarvis to Winnipeg for McGroarty ... which is obviously not a thing that's happening.

Buckle up ... one of the more ridiculous rumor sites has been floating "big news" that Carolina is moving Jarvis to Winnipeg for McGroarty ... which is obviously not a thing that's happening.
LOL! Seth said he would go to Winnipeg for Mama’s home cooking every night, no one else ever said they wanted to be traded to Winnipeg, but Mama’s home cooking is the clincher, so it must be true!

Everybody wants to play where they were born and only where they were born ... it's a known fact and never fails.

That's only 100 grand over his qualifying offer. No wonder they got it done quickly. It's cheap, it's two years and he's still an RFA at the end of the deal. So, win/win/win for the Canes.
Tulsky is playing the long game - trying to keep this team structurally sound while ensuring we have the flexibility to make the big moves when the opportunity arises.

Tulsky is playing the long game - trying to keep this team structurally sound while ensuring we have the flexibility to make the big moves when the opportunity arises.
Tulsky is just carrying on doing what the Hurricanes have done since Dundon bought the club. Which includes not being in a red hot hurry to sign Jarvis just so fans will shut up whining about it. Everything is deliberate, everything is done with an eye to the big picture and not getting stuck in a budget corner if an opportunity comes up later.

Tulsky is just carrying on doing what the Hurricanes have done since Dundon bought the club. Which includes not being in a red hot hurry to sign Jarvis just so fans will shut up whining about it. Everything is deliberate, everything is done with an eye to the big picture and not getting stuck in a budget corner if an opportunity comes up later.
Agreed. I also think their decisions about Jarvis and Necas are predicated on what happened with Kuzy (I'm sure the possibility of ending that relationship was well-known to them before it became public), and now that we have resolution there, other dominos will fall sooner rather than later.

Again, apparently Tulsky has said that they have a couple of contract structures for Jarvis basically agreed in principle and they're just waiting on him to decide on term. If you're Jarvis, that's not an easy decision and I'm all for him taking some time to figure out whether or not he wants security or wants to bet on himself. If he thinks he's got 40/40 (or better) in him, then he should sign a 2 or 3 year deal and try to get to another level on the money well before he hits free agency. If he thinks he's more of a steady 70-ish point kind of guy then yeah, go get that long term security. But so long as the Canes know where that's heading, they can figure out the rest of the chart.

And FWIW, one of the frustrating things about Necas is that he already bet on himself with a bridge deal and failed to really deliver. His Dad might be blaming the Canes for lack of opportunities causing his erratic production but we all watched those games and know the truth. He failed to find any kind of consistency game to game largely due to a lack of discipline on the ice and was responsible for his own issues. He is apparently hell bent on not signing any deal that takes him past his earliest UFA eligibility, which is fine with me.

Last edited:
....He is apparently hell bent on not signing any deal that takes him past his earliest UFA eligibility, which is fine with me.
Necas would become a UFA after the 25-26 season should he go that route.

At this point, barring a trade, I think the best path forward for both sides is a 1 year contract, be it at whatever the arbitration award is or something in between Necas' ask and the Canes offer. That get's Necas 1 year closer to UFA status and gives him one more shot to get back to the 70+ points Necas. He is going to see increased opportunity for the Canes this coming season out of necessity. If that increased opportunity isn't enough for him to produce, then we just go through this rodeo again next offseason. If he breaks out this season, MAYBE both sides become willing to sign a longer term extension. Or maybe it makes the Canes ask for a trade easier to find.

Anyhow, he's what, like $5-$6 million in arbitration? It will be interesting to see the number his agent files.

Back