• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

There really isn't any good reason for anyone to offer Skyler an NHL two way contract.
No. There isn't. In fact, he would almost certainly be in line for a basic ECHL contract if he wasn't Brindy's kid, and he may well end up with exactly that depending on how camp goes. A PTO is what it says on the box. A try out. There's no obligation one way or the other for either side. The absolute best case for Skylar is that he's been busting his butt all summer and he earns a contract in Chicago for the Wolves. Anything more than that would in fact be nepotism, which ... look ... I'm honestly in no personal position to complain about, so I won't.

No. There isn't. In fact, he would almost certainly be in line for a basic ECHL contract if he wasn't Brindy's kid, and he may well end up with exactly that depending on how camp goes. A PTO is what it says on the box. A try out. There's no obligation one way or the other for either side. The absolute best case for Skylar is that he's been busting his butt all summer and he earns a contract in Chicago for the Wolves. Anything more than that would in fact be nepotism, which ... look ... I'm honestly in no personal position to complain about, so I won't.
If the subpar performance was related to an injury, that’s one thing. He was injured early in the season. But it’s not like he was a world beater in college either. His 14 goals in his senior year were more than he scored in his first 3 seasons combined.

I really don’t see this ending in an AHL contract, I think it’s going to be a 2 way contract. It’s not that much different than signing Josiah Slavin to a 2 way contract. Yes, Slavin has played a handful of NHL games, but he hasn’t been a big AHL producer either, topping out at 18 goals in 49 games for Rockford in 21-22. And that got him a 2 year contract with a $150k AHL salary (and a $450k guarantee). I don’t expect Brind’Amour to get that much, but it will probably be more than Nadeau, Blake, etc. are getting, which is $80-85k.

View: https://x.com/ice_chip/status/1728087377434882542?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Maybe so ... and again, I'm in no position to complain about nepotism. If he gets a 2-way deal and it's really just a nod to the coach who just decided to stick around on a new deal, so be it. As you mention, that deal for Slavin's brother is clearly mostly a nod to Carolina's most important defender ... not long after he signed an extended deal. Somebody's got to play on the 4th line for the Wolves. May as well be guys who get you some mileage off the ice.

Maybe so ... and again, I'm in no position to complain about nepotism. If he gets a 2-way deal and it's really just a nod to the coach who just decided to stick around on a new deal, so be it. As you mention, that deal for Slavin's brother is clearly mostly a nod to Carolina's most important defender ... not long after he signed an extended deal. Somebody's got to play on the 4th line for the Wolves. May as well be guys who get you some mileage off the ice.
And we’re short on centers.

I guess a 2 way deal for Skyler could be viewed as the same thing as a 1 way AHL deal, so long as there is no signing bonus involved. Although then it's the Canes paying the AHL salary instead of Chicago or another AHL team directly.

Unless there is some untapped potential he has been hiding for his entire college career and last season's disaster of an AHL campaign, Skyler doesn't look to be anything better than an ECHL 3rd line center. If it makes the family feel better, then sure, sign him to an entry level deal and bury him in Chicago or assign him to some ECHL team.

Back