• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

Indeed, best of luck in all of his future endeavors. btw, has anyone ever found out what he has against raantas?

Another article on Tulsky, this from the NHL website. If covers some different ground, some stuff I hadn’t read yet. It has an interesting anecdote of trying to “game” the commute from Berkeley to San Jose to reduce the driving time. But I think it illustrates how he thinks.

Yeah, I've never heard or seen a bad word about Raanta and have seen and heard a TON of people raving about what a good dude he is ... from teammates to fans to support staff. The Canes have a strong team culture, but even they will miss that guy's character in the room.

Another article on Tulsky, this from the NHL website. If covers some different ground, some stuff I hadn’t read yet. It has an interesting anecdote of trying to “game” the commute from Berkeley to San Jose to reduce the driving time. But I think it illustrates how he thinks.

What a weird career crossroads ... picking between a good, comfortable, career-track job at Apple and packing everything up and moving across the country to go work for the Hurricanes ... for a cash poor, lame duck owner and a new first time GM. For a guy who had been slogging along in the tech startup swamp, a career path gig at Apple, Google or Microsoft was the golden ticket ... and the Canes were not only a shift to sports business, they were also as messy as a Waffle House at 3AM at that stage. That was a BIG swing, man. Plus, he couldn't know it but there was every chance in the world he would get swept out with Francis a couple of years later, no matter how good his work was in the meantime. But he stuck and thrived and played a huge role in turning the club around. Honestly, I've always loved Tulsky's story but you do have to acknowledge just how farfetched the whole thing really is

Also ... I give NHL dot com a lot of grief for their generally terrible content creation work, but this was a thoughtful, well researched and well written article.

Last edited:
What a weird career crossroads ... picking between a good, comfortable, career-track job at Apple and packing everything up and moving across the country to go work for the Hurricanes ... for a cash poor, lame duck owner and a new first time GM. For a guy who had been slogging along in the tech startup swamp, a career path gig at Apple, Google or Microsoft was the golden ticket ... and the Canes were not only a shift to sports business, they were also as messy as a Waffle House at 3AM at that stage. That was a BIG swing, man. Plus, he couldn't know it but there was every chance in the world he would get swept out with Francis a couple of years later, no matter how good his work was in the meantime. But he stuck and thrived and played a huge role in turning the club around. Honestly, I've always loved Tulsky's story but you do have to acknowledge just how farfetched the whole thing really is

Also ... I give NHL dot com a lot of grief for their generally terrible content creation work, but this was a thoughtful, well researched and well written article.
It is a weird path, but as his friend said, the tech job would always be there, the job with the Canes was probably once in a lifetime opportunity.

The training camp roster is out. There are 3 players on PTOs, Sam Gagner, Rocco Grimaldi and…Skyler Brind’Amour (I spelled it out for you, Jeff). There are 41 skaters, 5 goalies and injured Justin Poirier, who is the only 2024 draftee. Group C1 is the NHL group, Group C2 is the Wolves group, but has the guys expected to fight for roster spots, Nadeau, Unger Sorum (spelled that one too) and Blake.

Also, not a huge fan of the PTO thinking here. A very "we like our group" approach. That's a very low event group, to the point where I'm not sure just not bothering with PTOs at all wasn't the better play. Yeah, I know they were gonna throw Brindy's kid a bone either way and maybe the other two are just a bit of smoke to make that feel less nepotistic. Grimaldi is obviously heading to the Wolves, while Gagner isn't obviously doing much of anything.

Also, not a huge fan of the PTO thinking here. A very "we like our group" approach. That's a very low event group, to the point where I'm not sure just not bothering with PTOs at all wasn't the better play. Yeah, I know they were gonna throw Brindy's kid a bone either way and maybe the other two are just a bit of smoke to make that feel less nepotistic. Grimaldi is obviously heading to the Wolves, while Gagner isn't obviously doing much of anything.
It wouldn’t shock me to see Grimaldi signed to a 2 way contract. With all the kids in Chicago and a guy coaching in North America for the first time, having an older vet isn’t the worst idea. By my count, the Canes are at 41 contracts, so there is still room to add a couple.

I guess. Grimaldi has IMO nothing to offer at the NHL level and it's been three full seasons in the A since he played an NHL game. I feel like he's in camp to get familiar with the system ahead of Chicago's camp. He was probably their best player last season. One of the few guys who consistently contributed. But he's 31 and tiny. Barring something truly weird, he's of no use to Carolina

Back