• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

As with most things with this club, they could avoid this kind of thing by releasing their own information first every once in awhile. I know Dundon doesn't have a great relationship with the press (the business press in particular), and Warf started his career with the Canes being one of Karmanos' media guard dogs, but holy crap guys ... there's like 5 journalist types in this market who give a damn. Call a presser, make your announcements, get it over and done with. They still treat every single thing like some sort of vital state secret. This could also be on Lenovo. They're weird about this kind of thing too.
The Carolina chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has 4 members, Cory Lavalette and Chip, DeCock and Justin Pelletier from the N&O. And Luke is on leave and Pelletier is a deputy editor, not a regular columnist. Add Ryan Henkel from The Hockey News and that’s 5. But really 3.

And otherwise, there's those two guys at Triangle Business Journal that have some sort of weird grudge against Dundon that would perk up if there's any sports business news. That's your local media folks. One guy who is basically a team shill (Chip), Cory (who, God love him, asks only the most basic questions), a caretaker from the local paper, a cover your bases guy from the legacy national hockey press, maybe a stray AP or Gannett flak and two guys who hate you but work at a publication with all the reach of the Next Door app. Terrifying bunch, lemme tellya.

As with most things with this club, they could avoid this kind of thing by releasing their own information first every once in awhile. I know Dundon doesn't have a great relationship with the press (the business press in particular), and Warf started his career with the Canes being one of Karmanos' media guard dogs, but holy crap guys ... there's like 5 journalist types in this market who give a damn. Call a presser, make your announcements, get it over and done with. They still treat every single thing like some sort of vital state secret. This could also be on Lenovo. They're weird about this kind of thing too.
There's nothing to announce yet. The Centennial Authority is apparently meeting on Thursday to approve a naming rights deal.

There's nothing to announce yet. The Centennial Authority is apparently meeting on Thursday to approve a naming rights deal.
There may be nothing to announce officially, but there was enough to instruct EA to use the new name in the game platform ...

I’m not sure where this is coming from or how they’re in the breaking news business, but PuckPedia tweeted that they expect Sam Gagner to sign a PTO with the Canes. He just turned 35. He played 28 games for the Oilers last season, 5 goals, 5 assists. He also had 3 goals, 6 assists in 15 games for AHL Bakersfield. He has 197 goals, 332 assists in 1,043 career games.

Not sure why we would bother bringing Gagner in on a PTO but I don't see any harm if we let him skate around for a few weeks in a Canes practice jersey before sending him in his way.

Not sure why we would bother bringing Gagner in on a PTO but I don't see any harm if we let him skate around for a few weeks in a Canes practice jersey before sending him in his way.
Yeah, you bring in a guy like Gagner to push/teach the kids like they did with Stastny and Stepan ... just with lower expectations for the season since there's probably not a roster spot for him.

The training camp schedule is out. Camp opens on September 18 with physicals. The first on-ice sessions are September 19. Practices and skates at Invisalign are open to the public, anything at Lenovo is only open to the media. No roster yet, but there will be 2 groups again before they combine before the October 4 game against Tampa.

Back