• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

Agree. I feel like this will be closer to the 20-21 team. That seems like the season they were closest to playing the way Rod wants them to play. More skilled now but enough players that will play that way shift in/shift out. That team was able to overwhelm teams with their style of play. Loved that team’s game after game all out all the time effort.

Since then it seems like we tried to add skill and scoring but lost some of that raw effort level in the process. That combined with the fact that Rod is always going to want his offense to be defense first means we let up on the waves of forechecking for more scoring that didn’t get to the levels it needed to.

Moved those two posts about Trouba to the NHL thread ... just trying to keep this one dedicated to Canes stuff

Ugh, when will Jarvy be re-signed? Are they waiting to see where Drury's and Necas's arbitration ordeals end up?

Ugh, when will Jarvy be re-signed? Are they waiting to see where Drury's and Necas's arbitration ordeals end up?
Tulsky did some media stuff this past week and I saw one blurb where he said they're basically in agreement with Jarvis' camp on a long term number and a bridge number and they're waiting for him to make up his mind. Which is fine. So long as the Canes know the general parameters then they can move on with other budget items. Sum total, you're probably burning most if not all of the remaining cap by getting those three under contract. And as of today, I think that's where they're headed.

If they are done with centers, and I suspect they are, then Drury's deal should be a matter of agreeing on a role and paying him accordingly. Plus, it's not like he's going to get some huge arbitration award. His numbers kind of suck and comparable players don't make that much. He's by no means a core player either way. Necas is trickier for all the reasons, but I'm thinking that both he and the team are OK if he just gets whatever he gets in arbitration and then they play out next season. Face it, if the Canes could get a deal for him where they get better in the short term, they'd have done it already. There's no real reason to move him for prospects, and we don't know if his Dad was representing how the kid actually feels about getting out in the first place. The Canes can offer him a top 6 role and top PP unit time right freaking now and he's not going to get anything better anywhere else. That's supposedly what he wants, and everybody banging on about him wanting to not have to play a 2-way game are forgetting that every other freaking team will want him to do that as well. I figure they pay him his award, see how it goes next season and then move him during the season or next summer if he doesn't take the chance and run with it.

Last edited:
Forgot the other nugget on Necas ...

Apparently he was allowed to negotiate with a couple of teams ahead of the draft, not just Columbus. The sticking point was not so much what Carolina was asking, but rather that Necas was refusing to agree to long term deals. So, you know all that crap Carolina was taking about "the ask being too high?" Yeah, that might have been over-stated ... and might have been complete BS.

Last edited:
Another vet for Chicago. Canes sign dman Joakim Ryan to a 1 year, 2 way deal. He gets the NHL minimum and $110k in the AHL. His last NHL contract was with the Canes, in 2020-21. He played 4 games for the Canes and 4 for the Wolves that season. He spent the last 3 seasons with Malmo in Sweden, where Wolves coach Cam Abbott got a good look at him.

If it makes you feel better, the team can give me a million of that newly available $4...errr!... $3.9 million.

Yeah the cap room savings great, the even bigger holes at center next season concerning...like I said, glass full or glass empty, a toss up I guess.
There were pretty much two extra centers on the roster with Kuznetsov here so I'm not sure how this makes Carolina's situation at center any worse, since he obviously wasn't up to driving play on the 2nd line anymore. He played on the 4th line in the playoffs for a reason and the Canes have three other options there and appear to be moving towards more of a grinding role for that line. Which is fine.

That would open up more financial options for the Canes for sure. If the Canes are just going to purge Kuznetsov and retain all of our RFAs:

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Drury-Roslovic-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Carrier-KK-Robinson
Lemieux

If any of our kids force their way into that lineup Drury or Roslivic would slide down and Robinson would likely be out. Also still TBD is if Fast is going to be able to play. That extra $3.9 million cap room could come in handy.

Can we get Nikishin released from SKA as part of this? 🙃

That would open up more financial options for the Canes for sure. If the Canes are just going to purge Kuznetsov and retain all of our RFAs:

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Drury-Roslovic-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Carrier-KK-Robinson
Lemieux

If any of our kids force their way into that lineup Drury or Roslivic would slide down and Robinson would likely be out. Also still TBD is if Fast is going to be able to play. That extra $3.9 million cap room could come in handy.

They definitely need another offensive winger in that mix. Maybe you hold a slot for a kid and then also see what you can churn up once we get closer to camps opening. You've got 5 teams over the ceiling as of today and another five within $100K ... most of which still have RFAs to sign or other slots to fill. There's still plenty of motivation for movement left before the start of the season.

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Drury-Roslovic-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Carrier-KK-Robinson
Lemieux

What about Jost?

What about Jost?
Probably plays ahead of Robinson and Lemieux on the 4th line, depending on how camp goes. Also, if KK sticks around that part of the depth chart, he provides cover (along with Drury) should they be able to move him. It's bad enough asking KK to produce with decent linemates, but asking him to provide $4 million in value on the 4th line with forechecking guys is just silly.

*Hoping KK is practicing on his finishing in the off-season...maybe eat some gunpowder to up the ferocity while he's at it.*
Now would be an ideal time for him to have a career year and shut detractors {like me} up.

There's a lot of opportunity out there on this year's Hurricanes roster. I'm a bit worried since some of the blueline scoring went away, though once everyone buys into the RBA system, it should be fine...(I keep telling myself). Kuznetsov leaving opens up money and a spot. I was happy to have Kuznetsov, though he didn't seem to be invested in every game 100%. Everybody has an off day, he has so much ability that it is noticable when absent.

Jim

Back