• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

Necas and Drury filed for arbitration. Hearing dates TBD.
And remember, if you file for arbitration that takes you off the offer sheet market. So all those writers sitting around spinning up Necas offer sheet scenarios can go ahead and take the weekend off.

Ehlers is an interesting case. He's got decent counting stats production and his underlying numbers have always been positive but nobody ever seems to be interested in the guy. If you were trading Necas for Ehlers straight up, Carolina would be getting the better, more productive player which is generally well received. And look, I get that all Canes fans want to guard against trading away Necas and having him just go off and become an 80 point every year guy, but with his mentality the chances of that happening are vanishingly slim. Bottom line, they could do a lot worse than Ehlers.
Yea, I’m in the same mindset with necas. If the guy finds a different team that fits his style and he puts up points, fine. He’s played long enough here under RBA’s system that I kinda think you have a good sense of his potential here.

In general you want the college kids to play a season of pro hockey before you throw them in the fire. That said, Slavin and Pesce only played a little bit in the A before more than holding their own in the NHL. Better for him to play a bunch of games, also. Remember, college seasons are short and the games are weirdly spaced out.
Pesce played 4 games after his college season ended and 3 the next season before getting called up. Slavin played 14 and was recalled a few weeks after Pesce. That was the season Wisniewski played 47 seconds and also saw Trevor Carrick, Michal Jordan and Ryan Murphy play for the Canes.

Pesce played 4 games after his college season ended and 3 the next season before getting called up. Slavin played 14 and was recalled a few weeks after Pesce. That was the season Wisniewski played 47 seconds and also saw Trevor Carrick, Michal Jordan and Ryan Murphy play for the Canes.
When two college kids with around a month in minor pro hockey immediately become the backbone of your D, you know you have a terrible roster. Hainsey was hanging on for dear life at 34 years old, Hanifin was way over his head in his rookie year and Slavin/Pesce basically saved the season by coming and being a reliable 20+ minute all situations pairing. That was the year that Jon Michael Liles was somehow playing first pairing minutes for a good chunk of the year and Rask was your No. 1 center by the end of the season as E Staal declined and Peters finally conceded that J Staal was a checking center. What an unwatchable mess.

Last edited:
Nik Ehlers=Teuvo Teravainen
Kind of. He's a more consistent impact player and more of a play driver, but a little less solid in the d-zone. Both are complimentary top 6 wingers, so it's an easy comparable. Ehlers gets hurt more, but is otherwise much more consistent than Turbo.

The Canes signed Josiah Slavin to a 2 year, 2 way contract. He’ll get $775k in the NHL, $150k in the AHL and a hefty $450k guarantee each year.

Umm ... OK. They need some AHL experience, I guess. Slavin the Younger is certainly not a threat to play on the big club and is too old to be a prospect, really. If you want a real lesson in just how stupid the Facebook fan base is, check out the comments under that announcement post. Also, lemme guess that this was a handshake addendum to Jaccob's contact extension.

Last edited:
Also, lemme guess that this was a handshake addendum to Jaccob's contact extension.
Especially the part with the $450k guarantee. IIRC, the daily cap hits are based on a 185 day season. So to pay off the extra $300k above his AHL salary, he’d have to spend about 72 days on the NHL roster.

Umm ... OK. They need some AHL experience, I guess. Slavin the Younger is certainly not a threat to play on the big club and is too old to be a prospect, really. If you want a real lesson in just how stupid the Facebook fan base is, check out the comments under that announcement post. Also, lemme guess that this was a handshake addendum to Jaccob's contact extension.
My thought exactly. There’s part of the home team discount.

Especially the part with the $450k guarantee. IIRC, the daily cap hits are based on a 185 day season. So to pay off the extra $300k above his AHL salary, he’d have to spend about 72 days on the NHL roster.
And given the number of experienced bottom six forwards the Canes have available, it would take a team-wide outbreak of typhoid for him to log 72 NHL roster days.

Still seeing a fair amount of reports tying Carolina to Ehlers and starting to see more speculation about Laine. Remember, Laine can't be moved until he's cleared out of the substance abuse program, which has yet to happen. I'm skeptical of those reports though. Carolina has been tied to Laine multiple times before, and the Waddell tie is there, so that's fairly easy "maybe there's a fit there" kind of stuff and every summer is rife with those. Personally, I think the Waddell thing actually hurts rather than helps, since he certainly didn't do his old friends any favors with that Necas time-wasting he pulled ahead of the draft. Laine is a gamble any way you look at it though, but if you could talk the Jackets into retaining a bit of money then somebody is gonna take it. Even at his worst in Columbus, he was still generating points, and he's still only 26. Ehlers makes more sense, but Carolina rarely goes with boring, sensible moves.

I've also seen some reports indicating that Anaheim might be interested in Necas. That could be interesting.

Ehlers has been traded by fans to the Canes in prior off-seasons for Pesce.

Laine and Ehlers are the new Jarkko Ruutu, they are always about to be traded to the Canes.

Laine and Ehlers are the new Jarkko Ruutu, they are always about to be traded to the Canes.
Fair. Although this summer it's more reputable sources talking about Ehlers ... not just fans. Although they're at it too.

The one thing that I don't care for is the idea that an Ehlers trade is Necas + something for Ehlers. Umm...no...Necas is younger, is not a pending UFA, and honestly is every bit as productive as Ehlers is. If anything its Necas for Ehlers + something else.

Question for the group....if you could choose between Ehlers and say a 3rd round pick for Necas OR Rutger McGroarty and a B level prospect for Necas, which would you prefer?

I would take a chance on McGroarty for multiple reasons, starting with the cap room the Canes could bank by not having Ehlers using up $6 million in cap space for his 50 points of offense. We of course would need to know that McGroarty is willing to sign with the Canes and is not going to Adam Fox us. Thoughts?

And Jarko was always the missing piece that would put the Canes over the top.

Chris Johnston and Steve Dangle talked about Necas for Marner straight up. And then some Leafs fans laughed and said only if Nikishin‘s rights were thrown in.

Back