• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Carolina Hurricanes 2024 Summer Talk ... press the reset button?

I don't think Roslovic will get much more than $2 million AAV. That would leave us with over $12 million in cap room still. Give Jarvis $8 million of that and Drury $3 million and the numbers work ok. Assume Necas traded for prospects/picks. Also remember that Robinson, Jost, Lemieux and Spencer Martin can all be buried in the minors and not hit our NHL cap at all.

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Roslovic-Kuznetsov-KK
Martinook-Staal-Fast
Carrier-Drury-Robinson/Jost/Lemieux

(move players around as you wish).

I was wondering if we would make a play for Roslovic. He can play up and down the lineup with his speed. It doesn't seem like he will ever be more than a 40 point guy at best, but he might get plenty of opportunity on the Canes.

Depending on what happens in terms of a Necas trade, there is still a possible path that has us replacing KK in the above lineup with some other top 6 player. Be that via KK also being traded OR via KK being bought out using the arbitration buyout window (again, possibly a reason why we keep arbitration eligible Dylan Coghlan around). I'm also not convinced the Canes wouldn't try to move Kuznetsov if they needed his cap space.

What we end up doing with Necas will drive more changes for sure. I don't think the plan is simply to go with what I show above and trade Necas for futures. I think more of a shakeup is coming to that 2nd line.

Last edited:
Necas is the shoe that we're waiting to drop. Until then 90% of what they have left on the table is securing new deals for Jarvis and Drury. They've certainly put pressure on Drury's roster/role security by acquiring half a hundred guys who do what he does, all of whom have more NHL experience. Jarvis is trickier because they'll want to lock him down with term, but without just throwing the sink at him. They might end up bridging him just to remove near term uncertainty.

One thing Tulsky has done here is to add a LOT of players who fit Brind'Amour's systems without committing much money or term across the board (other that Carrier's term). This is a group that will forecheck the hell out of you and stay positionally disciplined. For right now, it's top heavy but this reminds me a fair amount of Roddy's first team in Carolina.

I still say that the approach this offseason is partially about setting up for 25-26. We are going to have a lot of cap room with Nikishin hopefully stepping in for Orlov, Burns retiring, Kuznetsov moving on (if we don't purge him earlier), KK maybe being bought out and Freddie reaching the end of his deal. All of these forward signings except for Carrier are 1 year deals.

This year might be rough but we are now set up to be major players in the next offseason.

Goal scoring is going to be a major problem this season unless some additional dramatic changes are still to come.

I still say that the approach this offseason is partially about setting up for 25-26. We are going to have a lot of cap room with Nikishin hopefully stepping in for Orlov, Burns retiring, Kuznetsov moving on (if we don't purge him earlier), KK maybe being bought out and Freddie reaching the end of his deal. All of these forward signings except for Carrier are 1 year deals.

This year might be rough but we are now set up to be major players in the next offseason.

Goal scoring is going to be a major problem this season unless some additional dramatic changes are still to come.
💯

I dunno. Defense looks like about a wash. Up front Guentzel maybe takes away some goals. TT - I feel like will be replaceable within the group we have, if we stay healthy, just by being better at our system. Necas is an unknown.

So it does appear that our cap situation for next season will be a big asset - I agree with that.

You have to figure Svetch does better -that’s a reasonable expectation. Plus whatever ends up happening with Necas.

Yeah, I do think goal scoring is an issue as the roster is currently constructed. Carolina has mostly avoided the top heaviness that has infected the league in the cap era, but this summer's UFA losses have put a real dent in their balance up front. I think you could make a case that they've pretty much evened out expected point production on the defensive side of the roster, presuming Ghost and Walker can carry most of their recent form over to this system ... which isn't that big a stretch. But depending on how they line up on the forward lines, the general setup leans a LOT towards one proper scoring line supported by three different flavors of a more grind-it-out line. If you could honestly expect Necas to both play and produce here AND you could convince yourself that Kuznetsov could roll back the clock to even his 2021-22 form, then yeah ... you've got a secondary offensive line. Neither of those things seem realistic since Necas has one foot out the door and Kuznetsov is either cooked or danged close to it.

And even if they pull a rabbit out of the hat and trade Necas for affordable scoring help, the budget will only support so much expense. So, it's not likely to be some kind of sure thing impact player. They'll either be taking a chance on a developing player or taking a chance on somebody who's on the market because they're deeply flawed. Either way, what they probably need to produce more offense is another consistent play driving forward, and those are always hard to come by. We'll just have to see how it goes. Right now, this looks like an excellent defensive team that should be able to play Brind'Amour's grinding possession game pretty well. That might be enough to get them over the hump until this time next year when they have the opportunity for more of a positive roster churn, especially if Svech can step up and help turn that first line into something truly dangerous. Either way, this next season looks like a bit of a placeholder.

And if it doesn’t work out, Tulsky is going to have a lot of chips at the deadline.
That's the other thing ... even if it DOES work out, Tulsky should be able to make a hockey trade or two if they're smart about banking space. He's got a lot of marketable pieces on short term, low to medium cost deals and a decent stock of prospects. That's another way this reminds me of 2018.

It’s about scoring, folks! Jarvis hit the 30 goal mark last season, but there are plenty of guys still here that didn’t meet expectations. I’m not sure a step back in 24-25 for 25-26 is at all what I expected.

Last edited:
It’s about scoring, folks! Jarvis hit the 30 goal mark last season, but there are plenty of guys still here that didn’t meet expectations. I’m not sure a step back in 24-25 for 25-26 is at all what I expected.
I mean, it's not all about scoring. It's about out-scoring the other guys, basically. I'm not sure last season's team every really hit its stride defensively, even with the solid goals against numbers.

Hoping that KK rises to meet his potential, but hasn't everybody done that all along? It would make life easier.

Jim
I mean, I guess. I just hope he either finds his offensive game or the Canes find somebody to take him off their hands. I'm not invested one way or the other.

The Jets are apparently going to actually give Carolina something for Coghlan ... no need, my friends. Future consideration are fine. By which I mean make the guys a reservation for a nice team dinner when we come to town. You won't need to pay, just hit Open Table for us. Thanks

The Jets are apparently going to actually give Carolina something for Coghlan ... no need, my friends. Future consideration are fine. By which I mean make the guys a reservation for a nice team dinner when we come to town. You won't need to pay, just hit Open Table for us. Thanks
That’s a pretty fair return for him.

Back