• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Who said anything about not taking money back?

Because they're still trying to make the playoffs and may have players they would move on from with multi year deals that we might be good with.

Utah is a pretty obvious one, yeah. Going to be hard to find a bigger name than John Tavares to help you sell tickets in a new market for such a minimal acquisition and dollar cost.

But some other options without getting too crazy and suggesting places he's unlikely to waive to go to, teams capped out next year already, or teams loaded with centre options:

Dallas: Have a thing for old guys & enough cap to make it work.
Anaheim: Tons of cap and Tavares might he 1C there ffs.
Washington
Seattle
Chicago
Detroit
Philly

Those are the easy ones without getting into dodgier locations that he probably doesn't waive for (Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton) or places he would probably fit but they'd want him to move to the wing (Pittsburgh)

You're making too much of the 11 million dollars in cap imo. If the Leafs are willing to take back someone on 4-5 million in salary, it's easy to fit in for most teams in the summer.

Fair. I think a contender would have to give back money. And not good money.

A bottom feeder like Chicago or Anaheim I just don't see them wanting him at his age.

Utah or middle of the pack teams like Detroit or Seattle make some sense to me.

It’s cool that Jim Nill emulated the 90s wings by drafting well and surrounding them with good olds like Duchene, Benn, Seguin, Pavelski, Suter and Shanny did it by drafting well and surrounding them with good olds like Kampf, Krok, Edmundson and Boosh,

Didn't he just take all the wings scouts?

Or he’s shopping around, playing teams off each other in an attempt to secure the largest bag.

After all, he probably only gets one chance where he’s the biggest name on the market and has the shine of winning a Cup with his last team.
There's just no way the leafs will get out bid by Winnipeg. Or that he'd coach and live in Winnipeg over Toronto. Maybe he was offered something by Toronto and is listening to the Jets but maybe the Leafs told him they're moving in a different direction. A McLellan direction.

Guy Boucher

TBL

Pre-Boucher

08-09: 47.8xgf% (#23)
09-10: 47.8xgf% (#24)

With Boucher:

10-11: 56.4xgf% (#1)
11-12: 47.5xgf% (#25)
12-13: 46.9xgf% (#25) - 31gms

Post-Boucher

12-13: 50.9xgf% (#17) - 17gms
13-14: 51.3xgf% (#10)

OTT

Pre-Boucher

14-15: 50.6xgf% (#18)
15-16: 46.9xgf% (#26)

With Boucher

16-17: 48.7xgf% (#21)
17-18: 46.0xgf% (#29)
18-19: 46.5xgf% (#27) - 64gms

Post-Boucher

18-19: 43.9xgf% (#28) - 18gms
19-20: 48.7xgf% (#21)

Guy Boucher

TBL

Pre-Boucher

08-09: 47.8xgf% (#23)
09-10: 47.8xgf% (#24)

With Boucher:

10-11: 56.4xgf% (#1)
11-12: 47.5xgf% (#25)
12-13: 46.9xgf% (#25) - 31gms

Post-Boucher

12-13: 50.9xgf% (#17) - 17gms
13-14: 51.3xgf% (#10)

OTT

Pre-Boucher

14-15: 50.6xgf% (#18)
15-16: 46.9xgf% (#26)

With Boucher

16-17: 48.7xgf% (#21)
17-18: 46.0xgf% (#29)
18-19: 46.5xgf% (#27) - 64gms

Post-Boucher

18-19: 43.9xgf% (#28) - 18gms
19-20: 48.7xgf% (#21)

That's pretty not good.

EDM

Pre-Woodcroft

20-21: 50.1xgf% (#14)
21-22: 50.7xgf% (#14) - 44gms

With Woodcroft

21-22: 53.4xgf% (#9) - 38gms
22-23: 54.4xgf% (#5)
23-24: 57.2xgf% (#1) - 13gms

Post-Woodcroft

23-24: 57.3xgf% (#2) - 69gms

Fair. I think a contender would have to give back money. And not good money.

A bottom feeder like Chicago or Anaheim I just don't see them wanting him at his age.

Utah or middle of the pack teams like Detroit or Seattle make some sense to me.
Chicago paid 4M each to Perry and Foligno because they value having the right vets around a very young team, they also have a massive massive hole at 2LC which, for a bad team, Tavares can fill and take some pressure off Bedard.

In theory i can see them having interest and not caring so much about the cap hit, but only be willing to surrender an asset that would be much less than what they get for him at the deadline at 50% retention, but any talk of actually moving something important? Nah, they'll just sign Henrique or something

EDM

Pre-Woodcroft

20-21: 50.1xgf% (#14)
21-22: 50.7xgf% (#14) - 44gms

With Woodcroft

21-22: 53.4xgf% (#9) - 38gms
22-23: 54.4xgf% (#5)
23-24: 57.2xgf% (#1) - 13gms

Post-Woodcroft

23-24: 57.3xgf% (#2) - 69gms

Creep doll dude is high on my list but the nerd days are over. Shanny got hoodwinked by the fake nerd

Should have checked to see if his lenses were real

There's just no way the leafs will get out bid by Winnipeg. Or that he'd coach and live in Winnipeg over Toronto. Maybe he was offered something by Toronto and is listening to the Jets but maybe the Leafs told him they're moving in a different direction. A McLellan direction.
How very Toronto-centric of you. It may shock you, but living in Toronto isn't the end-all, be-all for everyone. Berube is from Calahoo, Alberta, not Caledon, Ontario, and he's part native. He may well prefer to live on the prairies over the big smoke, and the metric for what constitutes "success" in Winnipeg is likely a lot more realistic than what expectations are in Toronto. Also, while MLSE has a net worth of about $8 billion, Jets owner David Thomson's net worth is north of $35 billion so if the Jets want to outbid the Leafs they can do it (not that I think they'd bother for Berube, but still. They aren't the Little Sisters of the Poor)

If the Leafs really want him, sure. They won’t outbid the Leafs, but maybe NJ or Winnipeg could get them to up their offer.

Boucher seems to get an immediate improvement, but then an immediate falloff followed by a quick firing. Players must hate him.

It’s kind of uncanny how similarly his two stints as a head coach have gone.

Great 1st season and an unexpected playoff run to the 3rd round. Dramatic fall-off & miss the playoffs in 2nd season. Fired midway through a disaster of a 3rd season.

In our case, since he’s already been here as an assistant for a year, our players are probably already sick of his shit. So we’d skip straight over the 1st season bump to the season 2 or 3 version.

If the Leafs really want him, sure. They won’t outbid the Leafs, but maybe NJ or Winnipeg could get them to up their offer.
For sure yeah. If the Leafs really wanted him they would have presented him with an offer already I think. Maybe he's just using NJ or Winnipeg, yeah. Because he has been on record fawning over coaching the Leafs so I don't think he'd turn down the opportunity or the money outright.

So maybe he's trying to get more money out of them or maybe the Leafs told him they're out and that's why he's interviewing elsewhere. Surprised that Tre hasn't told Elliotte yet.

I have lived in Winterpeg and strongly support this assessment.

Back