• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Too much to hope that it was actually “push forward…without me”?

It does feel like a pipe dream for him to be gone after one year so we’re probably all kidding ourselves. Only positive of it would be that I don’t think he’d trade Marner if he sticks around, while the negative is that we’d have several more Baboons instead of real D and kids may not get a shot, so it’ll be a repeat of this year.

And then he’s gone and the Tavares contract is off the books and Marner needs to be dealt with. Unless he bends over for him like he tends to do.

obviously now it has a decent chance of happening, but I'm with zeke on Marner, trading an elite talent for a mediocre return is not an appetizing prospect.

he might be a bitch but top 10 scoring Selke finalists are not in great supply among historical Leaf draftees.

they had better get either another top line forward, somebody's top young player, a top goalie, or similar

trading him for a couple of just guys and some cap room would be a disaster.
After the way Marner shit the bed in this year's playoff (and the playoff before that, and the playoff before that, ad infinitum) and the price tag he commands, the Leafs will not be getting 100 cents on the dollar in a trade. But keeping him is insane because the sample size is large enough to declare him a cancer in games that matter. You can't pull a temper tantrum on the bench in front of a national television audience and expect to be resigned to an extension with lots more money and term. Even MLSE isn't that dumb.

In the end, you simply have to eat the shit sandwich and get whatever you can for him. It's addition by subtraction at this point. Sell him to a team that only cares about regular season points. Plenty of those around.

If the off season is Tre+Berube+Mitch for Seth Jones or something I'm out. I swear to god I'll take up a real hobby or spend time with friends and family.

One day at a time, yeah. Today in particular he's gonna ruin any decent discussion. We'll reevaluate tomorrow.

Back