• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

That is the impression I have, but it’s not because I don’t think Woll is good, and not because I don’t think we’d have won that series if Woll had started every game.

The undeniable fact is that Woll has struggled with serious injury problems in each of his professional seasons, and we saw it again this year. He severely injured his ankle just standing by himself in his crease, and then he was unavailable for a game seven because he somehow managed to break his back making a cross-crease save.

Hopefully it’s something he’ll eventually figure out, but until then we need a good insurance policy for him. Probably also wouldn’t hurt him to have a veteran starter to learn from.

Until proven otherwise, Woll should be in the insurance policy. In his biggest single season professional workload ever last season (25 games), he put up a .907, or a GSAA/60 of .10. Among goalies with more than 1000 minutes played, that was 29th best in the league. We should chill before annointing him our next starter.

Bob is a funny one. Was legit the best goalie in the world for a few years before signing the contract. Sucked hard the first year he got paid was pretty averagish overall over the next 3 years combined and then really good this year at 35.

Bob shouldn't have been signed to that contract....and it still might work out for them, pending the work he puts in this week and Bob showed statistical decline in back to back years prior to Florida signing him ffs.

and it still might work out for them. It sure as fuck hasn't hampered them from building a real good team over there either despite looking like one of the worst goalie contracts on the planet for a while.

Until proven otherwise, Woll should be in the insurance policy. In his biggest single season professional workload ever last season (25 games), he put up a .907, or a GSAA/60 of .10. Among goalies with more than 1000 minutes played, that was 29th best in the league. We should chill before annointing him our next starter.

A lot of what brought those numbers down was his struggle to return to form after coming back from injury.

But that still comes back to the same conclusion, which is we should be going into the season with a healthy Woll as a “nice to have”, rather than a “must have, or we’re fucked”.

You guys have twisted yourself in such a weird circle on this goaltending is voodoo stuff that you're eating your own ass.
I don't think it's voodoo. In fact I haven't said what it was. I just think the data tells a different story than what folks here believe! I'm not the one digging in here because my position is that I think it's hilarious that the wrongest forum in history about goaltending has all this confidence that they have the answers.

I have never been more convinced in my position on this. Forumice has been so consistently wrong about everything goaltending for years now. If they believe one thing, then the Leafs should definitely do the opposite. The fact that we're even spending this much energy on goaltending is hilarious to me considering it wasn't even in the top five reasons they have sucked balls in the last two playoffs.
Wasn't FI against rask for Raycroft, Andersen, Toskala etc.

Bob shouldn't have been signed to that contract....and it still might work out for them, pending the work he puts in this week and Bob showed statistical decline in back to back years prior to Florida signing him ffs.

and it still might work out for them. It sure as fuck hasn't hampered them from building a real good team over there either despite looking like one of the worst goalie contracts on the planet for a while.
Jonas wants to know how Mindz ass tastes now that you've reached around back there by confirming the goalies are assholes theory.

Oh no we wouldn't want to dig into people's goalie takes from the last several years. Let's not do that for the sake of keeping peace.
I'm guessing every goalie gave us some optimism after we got him, even Raycroft that year.

Some wore out more quickly than others though, like Raycroft and Toskala.

But shit, how many fucking assets have we thrown away on goalies that didn't work out.

Rask, 1st for Toskala, 1st for Andersen, stuff for Campbell, even 1st to get rid of Mrazek. It would be a grim stroll down memory lane to see the complete list.

And i hate this "let's get a reliable #1 goalie for once" take.

We did that already with fucking fred. It's not somethjng we haven't tried before. We did and we hated it.

A lot of what brought those numbers down was his struggle to return to form after coming back from injury.

Small samples are always tough to judge. There's another way to look at those 15 games pre injury as well.

-Hot start as a backup: 4GP: .961sv%
-Started to win the job from Sammy (11 games in 5 weeks): .901
-Injury
-Return from injury, 10GP: .890

His play dipped quite a bit as he was expected to play more.

And i hate this "let's get a reliable #1 goalie for once" take.

We did that already with fucking fred. It's not somethjng we haven't tried before. We did and we hated it.

But we never had a Plan B, which turned out to be the fatal flaw. There was nothing wrong with having a "Fred". There was a lot wrong with playing him like a Vezina contender and having no choice but to ride or die with him.

Also, we've now seen Fred torpedo a 2nd really good team the way he used to do us, it wasn't us, it was him. You can set your watch to his back breaking bullshit in important games.

Yeah, gimme another Fred and hopefully this time he's not an epic bitch in crunch time. Also, let's make Tim Maciljimmy or whatever the fuck his name is into an actual 1B. Don't let the actual Fred being a bitch scare you off of the idea that the position is important.

But we never had a Plan B, which turned out to be the fatal flaw. There was nothing wrong with having a "Fred". There was a lot wrong with playing him like a Vezina contender and having no choice but to ride or die with him.

Also, we've now seen Fred torpedo a 2nd really good team the way he used to do us, it wasn't us, it was him. You can set your watch to his back breaking bullshit in important games.

Yeah, gimme another Fred and hopefully this time he's not an epic bitch in crunch time. Also, let's make Tim Maciljimmy or whatever the fuck his name is into an actual 1B.
I think someone said that Fred's biggest crime was that he played just good enough, just consistent enough and flashed enough crazy saves ( amid the muffins) that he could keep convincing you he wasn't the problem, just build around him

Back