• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

NqAHouA.jpeg

I generally find their comps to be garbage fwiw.

I don't think NHLe is really meant to compare a guy who got 5 points in ~40 games in the KHL in his D+1 year to a kid who was a superstar in the CHL in his. I get that they're pumping their system and all, but there are more than enough statistical comparisons from the development channels the players are actually playing in to create a good list of comparables without pulling guys from the bowels of European hockey to make them.

This is where folks get confused with the whole correlation = causation bit. They didn't win BECAUSE of that. They won in spite of it. You can get Bob level goaltending performance with a tandem that costs half the price. He hasn't been special for Florida like he was for Columbus. And it took some incredible bargains for Florida to do it in spite of what they wasted on goaltending. They have some incredible contracts on that roster that the Leafs simply do not have at the moment (hopefully soon with some kids up front becoming more and more ready).
again, my point was simple - just acquire the best players!

I didn't say spend $15 m on goaltending. But equally, I'm not saying you cannot spend more than $8 m on goaltending. just get a fucking good goalie. and don't create artificial internal salary cap limits that may prevent you from doing so.

Yeah, I don't pay too much attention to the comps. I don't even think there are a ton of comps for Cowan who were so bad in their draft year, and then the best player in the league their post draft year. His projection is just weighed down by his draft year. If he had a typical first round pick ppg ish draft year his odds would be much higher.

With that said, and my previous crying about shitty comps aside for a moment. His 19 yr old numbers in the NCAA are pretty, pretty good from a comp standpoint.

His closest comps:

1719339339928.png

And he's not a midget either. 6'1 205 pounds as a 19 yr old.

The irony is that blaming the goalie for everything every year has become a very easy, convenient excuse for a team that just hasn't been good enough, not the other way around.
agreed, it doesn't matter how bad your goalie is if you only score 0 or 1 goal in the series-deciding game

If they had a goalie that could make a timely save or just keep us in games we would be considered a better team. Every playoff series we lose a couple games because the goalie couldn’t make a save, keep a lead.

Woll is good for maybe 30 games. He couldn’t make it through a playoff series without hurting himself.

They just never learn. And some here don’t either.
we have had goalies who would make timely saves; out offense has let the goalies down time after time. for example, samsonov made many of them in game 7 vs boston. requesting him to post a shutout is unreasonable.

Better than Lee Stempniak???

Funny bit about Stempniak is that he got worse over the next two NCAA seasons. Also, he played in a dogshit conference. McGrooty played in the Big 10, which is the hardest NCAA conference by a fair bit. The gap between the Big 10 and ECAC is a fair bit bigger than the gap between OHL/WHL and the QMJHL imo, for example.

Cola and Pilar had a skill not many others did at the time... the wrist shot from the point, that was meant for a tip.

Back