• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Just wait for the goalies to be our undoing yet again. See this board scrounge for excuses again. Every year we see the same thing.

It’s still early so I have some hope still but damn not a good start for Bundy if that Will deal is real.

Hey, Matthews could score 25 goals in the playoffs and then they lose in Game 7 of the finals, you never know...

Fun stat:

McDavid ended up with 42 pts this playoffs.

These current Leafs all time playoff points

Tavares: 24
Rielly: 40
Nylander: 43
Matthews: 48
Marner: 50
wait pajama boy has half the playoff points as matthews, over his entire career? including his NYI time? holy choker.

Ideal offseason:

Buy 2 of Roy Montour Skjei Tanev and arguably a couple other names could be in there.

Trade Tavares and Kampf.

Sign Domi.

Sign Brossoit or Stolarz.

And then spend what's left on a mid6 forward or two.
agree with everything except no Brossoit for me.

The irony is that blaming the goalie for everything every year has become a very easy, convenient excuse for a team that just hasn't been good enough, not the other way around.
I mean Fred deserved a lot of the blame he received.

But playoff scoring has been a consistent issue. I'd argue largely a self-inflicted one.

Ideal offseason:

Buy 2 of Roy Montour Skjei Tanev and arguably a couple other names could be in there.

Trade Tavares and Kampf.

Sign Domi.

Sign Brossoit or Stolarz.

And then spend what's left on a mid6 forward or two.

checking the math on this....it pretty much fits perfectly.

You can change the free agent names signed to similar calibre free agents if you prefer (the ones with the asterisk), but the team would look something like this: and fit under the cap

Knies --- Matthews --- Nylander
Bertuzzi* --- Domi* --- Marner
McMann --- Holmberg --- Robertson*
Jarnkrok --- Dewar* --- Reaves
(Cowan --- Minten --- Grebenkin)

Rielly --- Roy*
McCabe --- Montour*
Benoit --- Liljegren*
(Weber --- Timmins)

Woll
Broissoit*
(Hildeby)

I mean Fred deserved a lot of the blame he received.

But playoff scoring has been a consistent issue. I'd argue largely a self-inflicted one.
Of course you try to improve at every position. But I'm not sure how anyone watches the last two playoffs and thinks goaltending was even a top 5 issue. In a cap world you have to prioritize certain things and for me goaltending is not one of those things for this particular roster.

Of course you try to improve at every position. But I'm not sure how anyone watches the last two playoffs and thinks goaltending was even a top 5 issue. In a cap world you have to prioritize certain things and for me goaltending is not one of those things for this particular roster.
seems like we all agree you need two capable, competent goalies. that's the priority.

right now we have maybe 30 games of NHL goalie on the roster, so we clearly need to add at least one other guy. Woll is fine as half a tandem.

but we literally need a goalie. pretending otherwise is disingenuous.

at the same time, I agree goaltending was not the main reason we lost to Boston.

seems like we all agree you need two capable, competent goalies. that's the priority.

right now we have maybe 30 games of NHL goalie on the roster, so we clearly need to add at least one other guy. Woll is fine as half a tandem.

but we literally need a goalie. pretending otherwise is disingenuous.

at the same time, I agree goaltending was not the main reason we lost to Boston.
I mean I haven't said they should go with Woll-Hildeby with Kallgren as the third goalie. I've been a Stolarz or Brossoit guy for awhile. I just think the opportunity to address the d is too evident and obvious this summer to pass up.

If they can acquire two of the top 4 d available and let their accumulation of youth up front take over the reigns, they'll be in excellent shape for the next 5 years or so.

If they had a goalie that could make a timely save or just keep us in games we would be considered a better team. Every playoff series we lose a couple games because the goalie couldn’t make a save, keep a lead.

Woll is good for maybe 30 games. He couldn’t make it through a playoff series without hurting himself.

They just never learn. And some here don’t either.

Back