• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Obviously I’m exaggerating. But fuck me this is a nightmare scenario.

Tanev, Zadorov and Broissoit was probably the worst outcome for me heading into the offseason. And here we fucking are getting there.

Fucking Bundy

Zadorov has stepped up in a huge way (like top pair kinda way) in both playoffs he's been a part of in the last 5yrs. He embraces physical assery with a smile and a frame that nobody can mess with. He can skate and really shoot and has puck skills. His regular seasons haven't been as good of course but if he's an actual mythical playoff performer then that's kinda what we need.
This is the thing about Zadorov, despite what some people may believe, there's value in a big, physical d-man (especially at playoff time) who can really defend, but the problem with acquiring the "poor mans" version of this player is that they generally suck at everything else. At least Z has these other attributes. I mean 22, 21 and 20 points the last 3 years ain't bad for a 6'6 crosscheck machine.

Still gonna be overpaid though, but can he be an asset in your middle pair is the question.

Obviously I’m exaggerating. But fuck me this is a nightmare scenario.

Tanev, Zadorov and Broissoit was probably the worst outcome for me heading into the offseason. And here we fucking are getting there.

Fucking Bundy

If you’re correct, I agree that it’s not enough upgrading. Just replacing parts that wore out.

Zadorov has stepped up in a huge way (like top pair kinda way) in both playoffs he's been a part of in the last 5yrs. He embraces physical assery with a smile and a frame that nobody can mess with. He can skate and really shoot and has puck skills. His regular seasons haven't been as good of course but if he's an actual mythical playoff performer then that's kinda what we need.

I incepted you too hard man, I'm sorry

wntgd.jpg

This is the thing about Zadorov, despite what some people may believe, there's value in a big, physical d-man (especially at playoff time) who can really defend, but the problem with acquiring the "poor mans" version of this player is that they generally suck at everything else. At least Z has these other attributes. I mean 22, 21 and 20 points the last 3 years ain't bad for a 6'6 crosscheck machine.

Still gonna be overpaid though, but can he be an asset in your middle pair is the question.

Yeah, I'd rather pay the real Zadorov than bring in shit, fake, smaller Zadorov's for mid round picks at the deadline every fucking year.

With that said though, I'd prefer to do neither but I don't get a fucking vote.

Yeah, I'd rather pay the real Zadorov than bring in shit, fake, smaller Zadorov's for mid round picks at the deadline every fucking year.

With that said though, I'd prefer to do neither but I don't get a fucking vote.
hey we'll still need a RH Zadorov at the deadline each year

lowest skill blueline in hockey, we keep losing in the playoffs because we can't score enough and our powerplay goes to shit, but ya let's get Zadorov and Tanev, because grunt oogh urgh big tough

I don't know what the management of this team is watching.

To be fair...

Despite being grunt oogh big tough, we were actually pretty shit defensively. Tanev and Zadorov are that other stuff and great/good defensively.

Not saying that anything you said above is wrong, but at least if the idiots running the team are going to be idiots, at least this time they're targeting guys who can actually do the things management believes we need. Boosh, Eddy, old Gio, dead Brodie were all junk defensively on top of not being able to move the puck to save their lives.

lowest skill blueline in hockey, we keep losing in the playoffs because we can't score enough and our powerplay goes to shit, but ya let's get Zadorov and Tanev, because grunt oogh urgh big tough

I don't know what the management of this team is watching.

Z is pretty good at scoring goals actually. Also a good skater.

How fast does a 29yr old decline?

Trick question. Aging curves aren't uniform, they're roughly correlated with the age the player reached their peak at and the height the peak was. Younger/higher peak = gentler, longer decline.

If this d crop wasn't so strong I'd say Zadorov is a lovely risk to take. He's got decent puck skills and could well be a second pair guy. There isn't much proof of it beyond a few stretches here and there and he does tend to lose his composure and make some boneheaded plays that may prevent him from being that player... But a giant that can move the puck is not a bad thing. And his playoff resume, while tiny, has been excellent recently.

But it's just annoying that Tre goes all in on familiarity and the brand name. Not very cost effective.

Back