• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Screenshot 2024-07-01 105950.png

So $7.5m left to sign a goalie, a dman, and a forward.

I'm still hopeful they can convince Robertson to re-sign.

It’s functionally equivalent to the robidas contract (except under 35) - tanev gets 5% cap hit to 40, robidas got 4.5% to 40.

i really thought term should get Tanev under $4m. and i'm not sure why if you go 6yrs you wouldn't go 8, given you're not expecting him to play even the full 6yrs.

not an overpay in caphit, but an overpay in term. not sure term will burn us in the end tho anyways.
probably at least 1 other team was willing to match 6x$4.

i really thought term should get Tanev under $4m. and i'm not sure why if you go 6yrs you wouldn't go 8, given you're not expecting him to play even the full 6yrs.

not an overpay in caphit, but an overpay in term. not sure term will burn us in the end tho anyways.

Couldn't go 8, even though we had his rights he wasn't on some player list that you can't add to. But we could have gone 7.

And yes, every way I've looked at the math of this, unless his projection was way the fuck off and the expectation was 6-6.5 x 3, there's no way going 6-7 years shouldn't have brought this down into the high 3's.

So far, from our playoffs roster to now:

Bertuzzi (7gms, 18:35) --> McMann
Robertson (6gms, 9:48)--> ?
Gregor (2gms, 8:050 -----> ?

Edmundson (7gms, 18:40) --> Tanev
Lyubushkin (7gms, 16:30) ---> ?
Brodie (1gms, 17:10) --------> TImmins

Samsonov (5gms, .896) -----> ?

Couldn't go 8, even though we had his rights he wasn't on some player list that you can't add to. But we could have gone 7.

And yes, every way I've looked at the math of this, unless his projection was way the fuck off and the expectation was 6-6.5 x 3, there's no way going 6-7 years shouldn't have brought this down into the high 3's.
Its just wildly stupid and ineffecient.

That said, i think its possible he would have had a 6 AAV value on the market. Pesce got 5.5, and i think Tanev could be seen as better.

OEL is going to get like 3.5 to 4 and its going to sting.

yeah Brad painted himself into a corner with all his praise for him when he made the trade.

Gotta accept that Tanev is kind of Brad's idea of the perfect dman. And tbh it's not a bad thing. Though he is fucking old unfortunately.

But this is better at least than Burke's idea of a perfect dman like Komisarek.

UFA contracts will mostly be bad, even if they look good on July 1.

For us it’s about the player. Because if we suck for 2-3 more years Auston probably leaves anyway.

Tanev is one of the better dmen in the league. The cap hit is fine, so it doesn’t prevent them from doing other things. It’s an analytics driven move. The leafs are a way better team now.

But ya, the contract sucks.

Its just wildly stupid and ineffecient.

That said, i think its possible he would have had a 6 AAV value on the market. Pesce got 5.5, and i think Tanev could be seen as better.

OEL is going to get like 3.5 to 4 and its going to sting.

I'm sure he was seen as better. But he's also 34.

Not moving any of Tavares/Kampf/Jarnkrok is a disaster. Reaves we can bury at least

I’ve never had any hope that we’d move the last year of JT’s contract.

But the one bit of hope I’m hanging onto for Kampfkrok is that it wouldn’t have made sense for another team to acquire them before today. Not before the Leafs pay out their bonuses, and the dust settles on the UFA market and teams know what they still have left to spend and what holes they need to fill. So maybe they get dealt in the coming days now.

Or maybe pizza boy fucking loves them and has no intention of trading them. That’s a very real possibility too.

Back