• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Dom is wrong.

Or rather, a deal can be analytically "worth" it while being dumb. OEL played 15 mpg in the playoffs for Florida. We just brought in their #6 to be our #4. So while Florida had success with this guy in sheltered matchups and when it mattered at the end of their D rotation, we're expecting to have him not be garbage as our #4, after years of him being garbage in larger roles. Florida rehabilitated him analytically in a sheltered role we're not going to be putting him in.
Bingo

Dom is wrong.

Or rather, a deal can be analytically "worth" it while being dumb. OEL played 15 mpg in the playoffs for Florida. We just brought in their #6 to be our #4. So while Florida had success with this guy in sheltered matchups and when it mattered at the end of their D rotation, we're expecting to have him not be garbage as our #4, after years of him being garbage in larger roles. Florida rehabilitated him analytically in a sheltered role we're not going to be putting him in.
1719851338158.gif

Dom is wrong.

if Lilly steps up and takes that middle pair road, OEL can still provide offense on the bottom pair at a reasonable cap hit. I certainly don't love the signing, but it's about market value and he was legit good this year.

Its also wild to me that in a world where Bert is gone and there are limited funds to replace him the team seemingly had no interest or success in convincing Robertson to sign as an RFA

if Lilly steps up and takes that middle pair road, OEL can still provide offense on the bottom pair at a reasonable cap hit. I certainly don't love the signing, but it's about market value and he was legit good this year.

There's lots of market value moves that just shouldn't be made. If he gets pushed down to the 3rd pairing, at that contract, for what he brings in the 1st year of it, I'd call that a fucking disaster tbh.

Dom is wrong.

OEL was clearly their #5. Kulikov was the #6.

OEL also their #2 on the PP.

I think, since the Leafs didn't get the two impact d I wanted them to, this is gonna be the key to their success in the coming years. They need Liljegren to step up in a major way and drop OEL to the third pair.

Back