• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

The real issue I had with Mats is, his own words came back to haunt him. He said he didn't want to be moved because it's about the entire year with a team. He then signs halfway through the next season in Vancouver...

I was extremely pissed at Mats at the time. But with the passing of time and additional information, I don’t really blame him at all.

With regards to Mats not waiving his NTC—by most reports, JFJ tried to trade him to the Habs for Chris Higgins and a 2nd round pick, and Mats vetoed the deal. Which I’m grateful to him for. Seeing Mats in a Hab jersey would’ve been revolting, particularly for a return that piss-poor.

As for him going to the Canucks—he only did that after Leaf management made it crystal clear they had no interest in signing him. And even then, at least he went to an entirely irrelevant team in a different conference that we don’t have a rivalry with.

No problem with him puking in his mouth at going to Montreal. none.

what I did have an issue with is making a big speech about the journey from training camp on and how important it is and how you can't join halfway through....and then signing for a ludicrous sack of cash from Vancouver halfway through.

just say you don't want to be traded and be done with it

that's really the only blemish though. plenty of other guys would have wanted out for a more winning environment and he didn't bail.

I was extremely pissed at Mats at the time. But with the passing of time and additional information, I don’t really blame him at all.

With regards to Mats not waiving his NTC—by most reports, JFJ tried to trade him to the Habs for Chris Higgins and a 2nd round pick, and Mats vetoed the deal. Which I’m grateful to him for. Seeing Mats in a Hab jersey would’ve been revolting, particularly for a return that piss-poor.

As for him going to the Canucks—he only did that after Leaf management made it crystal clear they had no interest in signing him. And even then, at least he went to an entirely irrelevant team in a different conference that we don’t have a rivalry with.

And he went to what was more or less Team Sweden at the time, the Canucks. Gotta remember that a huge part of Mats overall career legacy is that he's basically the Mark Messier of Swedish hockey. He was their leader even during Lidstrom's prime. The Canucks top 2 forwards were the Sedins, and half of the Swedish national team blueline was there (Edler, Ohlund, Salo). Vancouver makes a lot more sense when you look at it through a Swedish lens than it does through a Leaf lens.

So that leaves us with $400,333.00 in capsace with a 23 man roster. Reaves and Timmins as the extras.

So for anyone else (i.e. Cowan, Minten, Lorentz) to make the roster they'll have to beat out a contracted guy.

They cant add Patches, Hakanpaa, and Lorentz even if they move Timmins. Someone else has to go. Kampf?

Lorentz is irrelevant i think.

Interesting tho they can give Hakanpaa $1.5 now and he could replace Timmins ($1.1) plus the $400k capspace we now have.

Patches tho.....some forward has to move out, and they's have to make as much as Patches is signed for.

Back