• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

IMO Holmberg fits in there somewhere, and they move Kampf/Krok.

Cowan is the only guy who could actually earn a spot, and unless he's horrible they likely keep him for the 9 games. Especially if Dewar is hurt.

the only problem is Kampf and Krok are still here! so we're hoping for a trade, but if there isn't one then somebody(ies) we like is getting dropped.

View: https://x.com/dalter/status/1836799081852649541

Jarnkrok getting the first top-9 look, not Patches.

Patches clearly on a "prove it" line.

Kampf on a line that could be 4th line or could be "kampf's getting traded" line.

OEL paired with McCabe to start. I don't mind him getting a shot in legit 2nd pair duty. He didn't get that last year mostly because they wanted defensive Mikkola to balance out Montour's risk on the 2nd pair. But when he did play top-4 early in the year (top-2 really) he looked great.

Webber getting the first look in Benoit's slot, looks like. They really like this kid.

Berube's first gut instincts:

Knies --- Matthews --- Marner
Domi --- Nylander --- Jarnkrok
McMann --- Tavares --- Robertson
??? --- ??? --- ???

Rielly --- Tanev
OEL --- McCabe
Benoit --- Liljegren

Berube's 4th lines Mashups:

Pacioretty --- Holmberg --- Grebenkin
Lorentz --- Kampf --- Reaves
Cowan --- Quillan --- Nylander
Dewar and Minten are missing from that mix due to injury.

Having a hard time reading Berube's mind here tbh.

And I'm sure Patches and Cowan will get looks on the top-3 lines too, at the expense of Krok/Nicky/McMann.

Kind of looks like Lorentz/Dewar-Kampf-Reaves is the default 4th line and all of the hopefulles start on the outside looking in, rather than pencilled in good spots.

Is it me or is the pathway for A Nylander really rough, unless trades/injuries happen.

yeah I think he knows he's pegged for the AHL. they couldn't have promised him more than that.

but if he plays well, that could push them to make some more trades.

can we please have a 4th line that actually does something, anything, well?

Berube seems to like bottom 6s that can do things.

His main 3rd/4th lines in his cup run:

Thomas 19 - Bozak 32 - Maroon 30 : 56.3xgf%, 46.4gf%
Steen 34 - Barbashev 23 - Sundqvist 24 : 50.2xgf%, 74.9gf%

though sundqvist had to move into the top 6 a bunch because they didn't have a great 2nd winger on the ROR-Perron line. but still Berube played Sundqvist on this 4th line more. When Sundqvist was up in the top 6 he didn't replace him with a goon on the 4th line, but with small skilled Robby Fabbri (though they kinda sucked as a line with him there tbf).

oh and hey maybe we should compare those combos with a couple of today's lines....

Bozak - Tavares
Thomas - Robertson
Maroon - McMann

Barbashev - Holmberg
Steen - Pacioretty
Sundqvist/Fabbri/Blais/Sanford - ???

Back