• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Well, it doesn't bode well that Dewar's numbers are so much better, but Minty did look much better than Dewar in his NHL stint.

I think you over rate short stint eye test. It's easy to fool someone's eyes in a few shifts over a few games. A lot harder to fool us over 40-50 games.
Same reason the hockey establishment fucks up and over rates a bunch of kids because of the world juniors every year. Did you see Taylor Whathischuck dominate the south west slovenian team on the forecheck bro? Stud.

I think you over rate short stint eye test. It's easy to fool someone's eyes in a few shifts over a few games. A lot harder to fool us over 40-50 games.
Same reason the hockey establishment fucks up and over rates a bunch of kids because of the world juniors every year. Did you see Taylor Whathischuck dominate the south west slovenian team on the forecheck bro? Stud.
So and so third line guy at Juniors showed incredible leaderbeanery never mind his numbers

Not really. My point was that if he's not getting prime opportunities, then that means there's room for those numbers to be better,

If a 20 yr old is being granted the less than prime opportunities on his junior team, he's not the stud you think he is.

Outliers exist, these are just basic guidelines that help shape probabilities of what a player may become! But yeah a preseason heater doesn't outweigh his large body of mediocre work.

I don't deny it, but generally tend to be optimistic about kids like this. If he's a serviceable third or fourth line C, it's not the worst thing in the world.

And sure, if he ends up being trade bait for a player who is better than he'll ever be, hard to complain about that.

Just don't let any more Verhaeghes go. (Though I think his stats were amazing back then, which makes that even worse).

If he's a serviceable third or fourth line C, it's not the worst thing in the world.

No, it's fine if that's all he develops into. But a few things there:

- Depth players tend to take longer to develop, because they're just not as good.
- They're pretty easily replaced in free agency every year

So hanging onto them as prospects when you're a win now program is kind of silly. He's maybe a 4C by 25-26. Maybe. More likely he spends 2-3 years in the AHL first. If you can get a legitimately good 28 yr old 3C on a decent contract for him tomorrow, you do it imo.

Feels like you're selling him short. He looked like an okay third liner in his NHL games. To suggest that he'd only be able to maybe handle the 4th line when he's 25-26 means he's a bust. I think he looks a lot better than that.

I have to say though, I love holding on to the kids we draft in the upper rounds. They almost always seem to turn into something good.

Maybe that's why I hold some added optimism when it comes to them, because there have been so many solid NHLers coming out of them, from our obvious top 10 picks, to guys like Sandin (who could've helped us bigly these last two playoffs), Lilly (who I still love), Knies, Robertson, and now Cowan (looking great) and Minty.

If we trade Marner, we'd have to get a huge return. Like I'd want to package something with like a Draisaitl (to help convince McDavid to come after).

If we trade Marner, we'd have to get a huge return. Like I'd want to package something with like a Draisaitl (to help convince McDavid to come after).

Are you ready to resign him next year at $12 $13 million?

If so, sure demand the return.

If not, then it's not about the return. Maximize but don't expect much.

There's no chance in hell he has the balls to demand that anymore, not with the way his season just went.

If he bets on himself and has an epic regular and postseason next year and walks himself to the brink of free agency, then yeah, the upper end will be our destiny.

That's why the best move, as always with these guys, is to sign them earlier. Even if we end up wanting to trade him, having him at that Willy number would be a big help.

There's no chance in hell he has the balls to demand that anymore, not with the way his season just went.

my-sweet-summer-child-sweet-summer-child.gif

Moments after Mitch signs his 8/104 extension

635931169234851347-XXX-TV-DEATHS-GOT-ROBB-STARK-3750--60606084.jpg

I don't care too much about the marner trade, but I'd love to get my hands on Guentzal. Isn't he a ufa?

That guy on a line with Matthews and whomever would be awesome

Back