• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Do We have Rebuild Thread? If Not This Is It

AH$$$

My prediction it won't be a complete tear down but I do expect Price to be dealt with retention along with our UFA's to be Chiarot, Wideman, etc.

The team is a mess but I dont know how much of that is the "we lost the Finals" hangover.

My prediction it won't be a complete tear down but I do expect Price to be dealt with retention along with our UFA's to be Chiarot, Wideman, etc.

The team is a mess but I dont know how much of that is the "we lost the Finals" hangover.
I think it will be a substantial rebuild. Gorton was probably hired for two reasons: 1) he was the “best” available candidate, and 2) he just completed one of the most successful rebuilds in a large original six market. I think the second reason weighed heavily in Molson’s decision. . . but we’ll see.

I think it will be a substantial rebuild. Gorton was probably hired for two reasons: 1) he was the “best” available candidate, and 2) he just completed one of the most successful rebuilds in a large original six market. I think the second reason weighed heavily in Molson’s decision. . . but we’ll see.

He didnt do a full tear down. Zibby and Kreider were held onto while they went out and got Panarin, Trouba, Fox the off season (14 months) after they announced the rebuild. And of course got lucky with ping pong balls two consecutive years. We will not have that kind of luck with te lottery or attracting top talent for free.

However if they want to a tear down and trade every decent contract we have and have nothing by next season, then we will get Connor Bedard and that Russian kid in 2024. Then the rebound will have to be furious given that ELC's will be a ticking time bomb. Really weird position to be in.

I agree , it will be a substantial rebuild

He doesnt have a choice , the current team is too flawed to continue a patch job

Gally, Petry, Price need to be purged

He didnt do a full tear down. Zibby and Kreider were held onto while they went out and got Panarin and Trouba the off season (14 months) after they announced the rebuild.

However if they want to a tear down and trade every decent contract we have and have nothing by next season, then we will get Connor Bedard and that Russian kid in 2024. Then the rebound will have to be furious given that ELC's will be a ticking time bomb. Really weird position to be in.

The Rags are a different story

They unloaded their vets before they had to be paid

Gorton is trying to unload bad contracts , money has to come back but hopefully some combo of picks /prospects/shorter term as well

Rags are destination for talent , Habs are near the bottom

There is no middle ground here , he he needs a rebuild

There are precious few players on this roster worth moving forward with

We needed someone with no emotional attachment to existing players, which was a weakness for MB, even though an enduring trait for the players.
So much this. Pure analytical view, little emotion. Plus, he's not beholden to the English or the French in Quebec, he's from Boston so he's used to being hated.

If we get the Wright pick (and if they feel he can be a franchise player), then all bets are off. It will be a reload for a chance to compete in 23-24.

I'm reading of chinks in Wright's armor this season. Maybe @GGpX has been following him?

Last edited:
I'm reading of coins in Wright's armor this season. Maybe @GGpX has been following him?

I have followed him since 14 , my cousin`s kid played with him for years

Been to 3 games this year and about 10 overall in the OHL

He is no franchise player , and I dont see a dominant 1C

I think GGPX put it best , a ceiling career like Backstom ... although a different skill set and talent

The real question is whether there's anyone better available and I don't think so.

There's a Dallas Cowboys Youtuber that I follow who always complained about Cowboys fan wanting to trade a bunch of assets to get players, like when there was the rumor of the Cowboys wanting safety Jamaal Adams. What he said was, you're selling your soul in the hopes of trying to win right now, but if you don't win right now, you're going to be suffering for years to come. He's of the opinion that the best way to build a dynasty and not just a one year wonder is to build it through sustainability. Had the Cowboys done that trade, they would given up the equivalent of CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons and Osa Odighizuwa (Two firsts and a third round pick) for a guy that is dropping down the depth chart in Seattle a year after being traded. That's a top-20ish WR, a freak LB who might get Defensive Player of the Year whispers as a rookie and a starting player on the D-Line.

So what would you prefer, selling your soul for one shot or to build it so that you have a shot every year?

I understand that they won't do this, for numerous reasons, but this is just my opinion.

There needs to be a rebuild. It's not a question of whether they should or not, whether it's the right situation or not, etc.

It's categorically clear: They need to strip down and rebuild.

The bottom's fallen out and it was predictable years ago.

The last few years has been patch-work on the fly in hopes of winning now with a flawed roster. The roster was at it's best when The Charlatan inherited Gainey/Gauthier's team with a prime Price/MaxPac/Subban & starting to age Pleks/Markov.

And outside of a fluke run, a run that never would have happened if there was a full season against the whole league btw, this team never accomplished anything when it had The Charlatan's fingerprints all over it. Most of the success, which came early, were from Gainey/Gauthier's core players.

This team has two major problems that will prevent us from being good any time soon, short of tearing it all down:

The first is, we have the worst assembly of contracts in the league. No team comes close to the amount of bad, nigh-unmovable contracts. Gallagher's an albatross, he's not going anywhere. Anderson might be possible to move, and if he can be moved, it has to be done ASAP. I think we'd be able to move both Petry & Toffoli without too much difficulty. Edmundsson I would keep, because you need some veterans to play on the team and teach the younger players. The one player that I wanted to keep, Danault, is the only one that walked. Danault's a valuable player, even if he's grossly overpaid for what he brings.

The second is, and it always comes back to this, we've had shitty drafts for a decade. This team wouldn't be in such a bad position... If we had Los Angeles's prospect pipeline. A bunch of young, cheap, soon to be NHL-ready players pushing for spots. Not only are they pushing for spots, they allow management the possibility of trading players like Chiarot / Lehkonen who might have a year / year & a half left on their contracts in return for decent picks. Remember how I strive for sustainability? Getting extra picks, on top of having young players push the older veterans in the back for roster positions, all the while keeping your core?

I'm reading of chinks in Wright's armor this season. Maybe @GGpX has been following him?
Haven't watched a second of Junior hockey this year, but I don't think he's a franchise player. He would probably be the best #2 center in the league if he played on a team that had a real franchise #1 center, but he's probably good enough to be an excellent player for a long time.

Also, and it's kinda shitty to do this because it's a little simplistic but, you can't be a first year draft eligible player with so few points and hope to be considered a franchise center.

There's a Dallas Cowboys Youtuber that I follow who always complained about Cowboys fan wanting to trade a bunch of assets to get players, like when there was the rumor of the Cowboys wanting safety Jamaal Adams. What he said was, you're selling your soul in the hopes of trying to win right now, but if you don't win right now, you're going to be suffering for years to come. He's of the opinion that the best way to build a dynasty and not just a one year wonder is to build it through sustainability. Had the Cowboys done that trade, they would given up the equivalent of CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons and Osa Odighizuwa (Two firsts and a third round pick) for a guy that is dropping down the depth chart in Seattle a year after being traded. That's a top-20ish WR, a freak LB who might get Defensive Player of the Year whispers as a rookie and a starting player on the D-Line.

So what would you prefer, selling your soul for one shot or to build it so that you have a shot every year?

I understand that they won't do this, for numerous reasons, but this is just my opinion.

There needs to be a rebuild. It's not a question of whether they should or not, whether it's the right situation or not, etc.

It's categorically clear: They need to strip down and rebuild.

The bottom's fallen out and it was predictable years ago.

The last few years has been patch-work on the fly in hopes of winning now with a flawed roster. The roster was at it's best when The Charlatan inherited Gainey/Gauthier's team with a prime Price/MaxPac/Subban & starting to age Pleks/Markov.

And outside of a fluke run, a run that never would have happened if there was a full season against the whole league btw, this team never accomplished anything when it had The Charlatan's fingerprints all over it. Most of the success, which came early, were from Gainey/Gauthier's core players.

This team has two major problems that will prevent us from being good any time soon, short of tearing it all down:

The first is, we have the worst assembly of contracts in the league. No team comes close to the amount of bad, nigh-unmovable contracts. Gallagher's an albatross, he's not going anywhere. Anderson might be possible to move, and if he can be moved, it has to be done ASAP. I think we'd be able to move both Petry & Toffoli without too much difficulty. Edmundsson I would keep, because you need some veterans to play on the team and teach the younger players. The one player that I wanted to keep, Danault, is the only one that walked. Danault's a valuable player, even if he's grossly overpaid for what he brings.

The second is, and it always comes back to this, we've had shitty drafts for a decade. This team wouldn't be in such a bad position... If we had Los Angeles's prospect pipeline. A bunch of young, cheap, soon to be NHL-ready players pushing for spots. Not only are they pushing for spots, they allow management the possibility of trading players like Chiarot / Lehkonen who might have a year / year & a half left on their contracts in return for decent picks. Remember how I strive for sustainability? Getting extra picks, on top of having young players push the older veterans in the back for roster positions, all the while keeping your core?

Bingo and sustainability takes years in the NHL , if done right with no short cuts

Once accomplished , adding pieces or phasing in young kids is easy to do

I think many contacts are moveable just need to be creative

Gorton has to do wat Nero never did , build a core .

Last edited:
Haven't watched a second of Junior hockey this year, but I don't think he's a franchise player. He would probably be the best #2 center in the league if he played on a team that had a real franchise #1 center, but he's probably good enough to be an excellent player for a long time.

Also, and it's kinda shitty to do this because it's a little simplistic but, you can't be a first year draft eligible player with so few points and hope to be considered a franchise center.

Netting a top 5 pick is a must this year , team is desperate for talent

The AVS crappy goalie situation is perfect for us if Price is back and healthy in the New Year

He didnt do a full tear down. Zibby and Kreider were held onto while they went out and got Panarin, Trouba, Fox the off season (14 months) after they announced the rebuild. And of course got lucky with ping pong balls two consecutive years. We will not have that kind of luck with te lottery or attracting top talent for free.

We don't have anyone equivalent to Zibby or Krieder to keep. On the big club's current roster we have Suzuki, Romanov, Poehling, Caufield and Evans and the last 3 aren't even that untouchable depending on what you get in return. The rest of the roster is either past their prime, trade bait or pure, unadulterated garbage.

We don't have anyone equivalent to Zibby or Krieder to keep. On the big club's current roster we have Suzuki, Romanov, Poehling, Caufield and Evans and the last 3 aren't even that untouchable depending on what you get in return. The rest of the roster is either past their prime, trade bait or pure, unadulterated garbage.

Yup those 5 are the only younger that would have any role with the club in the next 3 years

Dvorak and maybe Anderson , thats about it .

You would figure half this team will be gone after next season

Leaving out young guys and UFA's, we have these vets to dispose of in order to go full tank.

Goalie:
Price - Unmovable contract with NMC

Defense:
Petry - Decent contract but limited NTC
Edmondson - Decent contract but limited NTC
Savard - Unmovable contract no NTC

Forwards:
Byron - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks
Drouin - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks
Lehkonen - RFA and can be moved for picks
Dvorak - Can be moved for similar return to what was paid
Toffoli - Decent contract and no NTC
Hoffman - Decent contract and no NTC
Armia - Decent contract and no NTC
Anderson - Contract can probably be moved
Gallagher - Unmovable contract with NMC

Not all of them should be purged but the ones that should have NTC's and NMC's that will limit the market.

That's a lot of trades to make in a short time (now until June) to realize the full tank.

Leaving out young guys and UFA's, we have these vets to dispose of in order to go full tank.

Goalie:
Price - Unmovable contract with NMC eat 4 mil and healthy and mentally prepared Price is an easy trade

Defense:
Petry - Decent contract but limited NTC very easy to move , but be done by the deadline , teams may think its only a blip after good seasons
Edmondson - Decent contract but limited NTC keep , you need some vet
Savard - Unmovable contract no NTC garbage but your stuck for a few more years until a buyout or Laval

Forwards:
Byron - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks Buyout , or maybe a team bites next deadline if healthy
Drouin - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks buyout next summer
Lehkonen - RFA and can be moved for picks trade by deadline
Dvorak - Can be moved for similar return to what was paid keep, contract is easy to absorb
Toffoli - Decent contract and no NTC summer trade
Hoffman - Decent contract and no NTC summer trade
Armia - Decent contract and no NTC I think he stays , unless we find a sucker
Anderson - Contract can probably be moved stays , inconsistent but nobody can score off the rush on this team
Gallagher - Unmovable contract with NMC tradeable , get creative

Not all of them should be purged but the ones that should have NTC's and NMC's that will limit the market.

That's a lot of trades to make in a short time (now until June) to realize the full tank.

This is where I actually disagree. NHL still has a ton of stupid GMs. There will be a few GMs drooling over the heart of Gallagher. I think he will be overrated by a bunch of GMs. I do worry that we have nobody on the backend to help the younger players with the offensive side of the game. Maybe Petry.

Back