• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Do We have Rebuild Thread? If Not This Is It

Haven't watched a second of Junior hockey this year, but I don't think he's a franchise player. He would probably be the best #2 center in the league if he played on a team that had a real franchise #1 center, but he's probably good enough to be an excellent player for a long time.

Also, and it's kinda shitty to do this because it's a little simplistic but, you can't be a first year draft eligible player with so few points and hope to be considered a franchise center.
Wright at 15 was amazing though. Lost his 16 year old season because of covid. He is doing fine this year but not superstar status like his 15 year old season.
Bedard seems to be taking a step back after a great 15 year old half season. From 2 ppg to under 1ppg.

Went to one oil kings game with Guhle - was getting top minutes and top PP mins but did not do much in the game.

Leaving out young guys and UFA's, we have these vets to dispose of in order to go full tank.

Goalie:
Price - Unmovable contract with NMC

Defense:
Petry - Decent contract but limited NTC
Edmondson - Decent contract but limited NTC
Savard - Unmovable contract no NTC

Forwards:
Byron - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks
Drouin - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks
Lehkonen - RFA and can be moved for picks
Dvorak - Can be moved for similar return to what was paid
Toffoli - Decent contract and no NTC
Hoffman - Decent contract and no NTC
Armia - Decent contract and no NTC
Anderson - Contract can probably be moved
Gallagher - Unmovable contract with NMC

Not all of them should be purged but the ones that should have NTC's and NMC's that will limit the market.

That's a lot of trades to make in a short time (now until June) to realize the full tank.
Good post - I just wanted to add on / give opinions within your stuff

Goalie:
Price - Unmovable contract with NMC - people will overate him - especially after his playoffs - still a tough contract to trade but moveable IMO

Defense:
Petry - Decent contract but limited NTC - he will need to figure it out if we want to trade him - being a RH really helps
Edmondson - Decent contract but limited NTC - somebody will want him for size/playoffs
Savard - Unmovable contract no NTC - so bad - alzner 2.0

Forwards:
Byron - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks - not sure a small forward with injury issues getting real money can be moved (if with retention)
Drouin - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks - could be moved
Lehkonen - RFA and can be moved for picks - tough to read on what others think of him - coaches seem to love him
Dvorak - Can be moved for similar return to what was paid - agreed
Toffoli - Decent contract and no NTC - great contract and can be moved for lots of things imo
Hoffman - Decent contract and no NTC - tough to read on what others think of him
Armia - Decent contract and no NTC - can be moved for that size/depth type
Anderson - Contract can probably be moved - to me this is probably the toughest to move - long deal on a just okay player with a bad deal
Gallagher - Unmovable contract with NMC - reputation and heart will make him an option for a few GMs

I’ve been a big Price backer but he deserves a chance somewhere else to win a cup! Please trade him to a contender and a good team like Colorado or Edmonton. Would be so fun to watch. Also, I feel as though he really doesn’t want to go to China for the Olympics, be it travel or Covid and think he’s gonna buy time to be off that roster. That way it’s win-win, fans don’t get too upset with him or Team Canada for not being there due to not being game ready.

Gorton is quite generous, he said if you're not feeling 100% percent and need to get away from this team of hell, you have my blessing. And voilà, Petry rose his hand and left, Toffoli rose his hand and left.... maybe Armia next? The rebuild is on.

I’ve been a big Price backer but he deserves a chance somewhere else to win a cup! Please trade him to a contender and a good team like Colorado or Edmonton. Would be so fun to watch. Also, I feel as though he really doesn’t want to go to China for the Olympics, be it travel or Covid and think he’s gonna buy time to be off that roster. That way it’s win-win, fans don’t get too upset with him or Team Canada for not being there due to not being game ready.
Why would you even invite Price in the first place with what he went through

Players may want to go but they shouldn’t with this new wave of infections everywhere

Your stuck in isolation for 3 weeks if you test positive , it’s way too risky and teams season could be in trouble with possible injuries as well

Why would you even invite Price in the first place with what he went through

Players may want to go but they shouldn’t with this new wave of infections everywhere

Your stuck in isolation for 3 weeks if you test positive , it’s way too risky and teams season could be in trouble with possible injuries as well
The NHL needs to stop participating in the dog and pony show known as the Olympics. Clearly it's going to take some superstar player going over to China, catching Covid and his resulting quarantine sinking his NHL club's playoff hopes before people wake up to the fact that the Olympics isn't doing shit for the NHL product.

Goalie:
Price - Unmovable contract with NMC - people will overate him - especially after his playoffs - still a tough contract to trade but moveable IMO

Defense:
Petry - Decent contract but limited NTC - he will need to figure it out if we want to trade him - being a RH really helps
Edmondson - Decent contract but limited NTC - somebody will want him for size/playoffs

Forwards:
Byron - 1 more year can be moved with retention for picks - not sure a small forward with injury issues getting real money can be moved (if with retention)
Lehkonen - RFA and can be moved for picks - tough to read on what others think of him - coaches seem to love him
Toffoli - Decent contract and no NTC - great contract and can be moved for lots of things imo
Hoffman - Decent contract and no NTC - tough to read on what others think of him
Anderson - Contract can probably be moved - to me this is probably the toughest to move - long deal on a just okay player with a bad deal
Gallagher - Unmovable contract with NMC - reputation and heart will make him an option for a few GMs

If we do dump everyone with (literally take no prisoners) over the next 18 months, we should end up with approximately 10 1st round picks over the 2022-2024 drafts along with a slew of 19-22 year olds. By the end of the 18 months we should have our future 1st line C, #1 D and #1 Goalie identified with contingency at each of those positions.

It will be a fun ride. Maybe not as good as the SCF run, but ...

Reminder Gorton didn’t dump everyone w NYR - Lundqvist didn’t want to waive so he stayed the remainder of his contract, there was no make his life miserable and force him to waive, Kreider was extended 7-years at age 29

Reminder Gorton didn’t dump everyone w NYR - Lundqvist didn’t want to waive so he stayed the remainder of his contract, there was no make his life miserable and force him to waive, Kreider was extended 7-years at age 29

He will turf 1/3 of this team by the deadline and half by end of next season

Nick is the only core piece team has to work with

No doubt in my mind Petry , Gally and Price are gonzo at some point

Price will be in adult diapers by the time this team is ready to compete again

Price , Gally and Petry would be fools to hang around

It will be a miserable 3-5 years for these guys with no hope in sight

Accept change and move on , there are deals to be made , it will require a healthy Price

Price , Gally and Petry would be fools to hang around

It will be a miserable 3-5 years for these guys with no hope in sight

Accept change and move on , there are deals to be made , it will require a healthy Price
The one thing that Gorton has working in his favor that he didn't have in NYC is that players are usually happy to leave Montreal. He should have an easier time convincing Price to leave Montreal than he had with trying to get Henrik to leave Manhattan.

If we do dump everyone with (literally take no prisoners) over the next 18 months, we should end up with approximately 10 1st round picks over the 2022-2024 drafts along with a slew of 19-22 year olds. By the end of the 18 months we should have our future 1st line C, #1 D and #1 Goalie identified with contingency at each of those positions.

It will be a fun ride. Maybe not as good as the SCF run, but ...

No way we get 7 first round picks from those guys.

Goalie:

Defense:

Forwards:

So in short, there is no unmovable contracts besides Savard. I even think that as long as Savard can play he can be moved. The problem with Alzner is that he wasn't even NHL caliber anymore. We had the cap space and still wouldn't play him. I don't think Savard is there yet, plus he's a RHD, which helps.

That’s why they shouldn’t do a fire sale like panicky hammerheads. Don’t flood your own market.

Move an impending UFA and one smelly contract before the trade deadline. Chariot, for sure, and another. The season is long lost and the rebuild will be long. There’s no rush, let demand come to supply.

(Unless, of course, the counter party offers a Suzuki like deal voluntarily. I am assuming that doesn’t happen.)

No way we get 7 first round picks from those guys.

Chiarot will get one and he is not on my list because I left UFA's off discussion.

Price
Petry
Eddy

Toffoli
Dvorak
Anderson

There is term on all these contracts and with retention in some cases the price tag is not all that much.

Everyone knows you're desperate, you're lucky to get 2-3 firsts. It will end up being a lot of 2/3/4 picks, maybe which you can package for higher ones if you want.
hey man....how are you.....long time no speak !!!!

are we putting up a bet this year ?

That’s why they shouldn’t do a fire sale like panicky hammerheads. Don’t flood your own market.

Move an impending UFA and one smelly contract before the trade deadline. Chariot, for sure, and another. The season is long lost and the rebuild will be long. There’s no rush, let demand come to supply.

(Unless, of course, the counter party offers a Suzuki like deal voluntarily. I am assuming that doesn’t happen.)

The rebuild will be long , but Gorton has to move some vet contracts if the deal is right

Petry and Gally had many good seasons in a row , teams may see this year as the outlier and with team suckage a change of scenery is what others may see

I expect significant change by the deadline , team is too deep in suckage to worry about winning and includes next year

Back