• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Free Agent Thread 2021

Like we reconvened in the SCF? You were so wrong its actually laughable.

They may miss, they may not. Of course if they don't miss you'll find some lame reason that allowed them to make it. Rinse repeat.

Just be realistic how the heck we got in the playoffs

Get to the finals and ECF in the next few years in a normal year

Lets see who gets the last laugh

They got the heck in the playoffs because they finished 4th in a 7 team division. The logic that the Habs didn't deserve to be there is ridiculous, clearly they met the qualifying conditions of having more points than 3 other division teams. There is no way of accurately predicting whether they would have fared worse in a full schedule but based on the 56 game sample size we have, they make it. Comparing their record to other teams outside the division is also flawed simply because the division was isolated. Might as well rank them with teams in the KHL and Bob's Beer League too using this logic.

They got the heck in the playoffs because they finished 4th in a 7 team division. The logic that the Habs didn't deserve to be there is ridiculous, clearly they met the qualifying conditions of having more points than 3 other division teams. There is no way of accurately predicting whether they would have fared worse in a full schedule but based on the 56 game sample size we have, they make it. Comparing their record to other teams outside the division is also flawed simply because the division was isolated. Might as well rank them with teams in the KHL and Bob's Beer League too using this logic.

They got in when they were 24th

The narrative in the offseason changes completely

Nero gets fired , and we are sellers not buyers .

They got in when they were 24th

The narrative in the offseason changes completely

Nero gets fired , and we are sellers not buyers .
That’s not how the playoff format works - everyone knew the rules coming in: top-4 from each division end of story, they went on to win vs every team seeded above them in the playoffs, except the defending Cup champs.

Those are the facts..

Be realistic about how they followed the same rules as everyone else. Got it.

I know how they got there, I also know Bergevin really opened my eyes to a few things about the league this past season.

We got the last laugh. You can't push off being so wrong by saying "just wait till they suck, I'll be right!"

That’s not how the playoff format works - everyone knew the rules coming in: top-4 from each division end of story, they went on to win vs every team seeded above them in the playoffs, except the defending Cup champs.

Those are the facts..
He's was so wrong he's looking for caveats.

Be realistic about how they followed the same rules as everyone else. Got it.

I know how they got there, I also know Bergevin really opened my eyes to a few things about the league this past season.

We got the last laugh. You can't push off being so wrong by saying "just wait till they suck, I'll be right!"
"till they suck"? They DO suck and they DID suck. All damn season long and the season before that and the season before that.

Two things happened last season:

1) regular season disrupted by Covid which truncated the schedule from 82 to 56 games and which realigned the divisions in such a way as to remove Tampa and Boston from the Habs' schedule while replacing them with Calgary and Vancouver, a huge downgrade.

2) A lucky playoff run facilitated by three opponents that choked so hard they swallowed their own tongues and officiating which permitted the slow-footed Habs defenders to turn every game into a rodeo.

The ONLY part of that which might be repeated next season is the crap officiating, which the Habs will only be able to take advantage of if they make the playoffs, which they probably won't if recent, non-Covid-altered history is any indication. Everything else that occurred was an outlier that, barring another global shutdown, won't happen again, especially the part about Tampa. In a normal season (had the Habs even made the playoffs) the Bolts would have been the first team the Habs had to play and they'd have been golfing by the time the second round got underway.

Keep shit real. This team is going nowhere fast unless or until it gets rid of the deadweight (31, 6, and 11 especially) The playoff run wasn't the beginning of a trend. It was a one-off. The only thing it accomplished was to make people forget about the previous 5 years of garbage results.

I don't get the Wideman interest, he was a fringe defensemen back in his time in the NHL, what is so interesting about him now? Just because he had a good season in the KHL? I guess it's just a matter of building our defensemen depth chart, once again with defensemen we didn't draft.

I don't get the Wideman interest, he was a fringe defensemen back in his time in the NHL, what is so interesting about him now? Just because he had a good season in the KHL? I guess it's just a matter of building our defensemen depth chart, once again with defensemen we didn't draft.
Cheap is my thinking. He may want to spend up front.

The Schlemko effect.....

Nowhere else to turn to.

Back