• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #6: Thurs-May 2-8PM - Boston Bruins @ Toronto Maple Leafs - Why Not Us? Bruins Suck, Go Leafs Go!

You're overthinking it. It's not that complicated.

The Leafs have plenty of talent and in the regular season, when half the teams you play are garbage and when teams rarely go all out to win unless it's absolutely necessary to do so, talent alone is usually enough to get it done.
This is not true, it's common knowledge that lots of teams and individual players get super amped up to play the Leafs and/or play in Toronto. Remember whathisname, Tucker Poolman or something, the Winnipeg Jets pylon who celebrated a victory over the Leafs like they won the Cup?
But in the playoffs, you don't get any pattycake teams and no one hands it to you.
Not true, we played the Habs in the playoffs.

So if you have a team of talented but mentally fragile players (Matthews to a small degree before this season, and especially Marner every damn season) they don't know how to respond to that pushback and they get pushed around and ultimately fitted for clown suits by their opponents; opponents who are often not as talented as the Leafs are.
The objective evidence (i.e. stats) disagree with your opinion here. This has been documented ad nauseam in this forum previously.
But that's the thing about the playoffs. Talent is a must have but so is desire, give-a-damn, and a willingness to do whatever it takes, no matter how extreme, to win. Teams built by analytics nerds like Dubas don't get this because they don't know how to measure intangibles. And if they can't measure it, they don't think it's important. But in the playoffs it is often all that really matters.
Yup, that's why we acquired Schenn, Boosh, Eddy, etc.! to placate the nerds! exactly.

For all the keystrokes from him, he has yet to actually predict what's going to happen tonight.

He is, after all, the resident objective Leafs diehard.

So what's the prediction?

WeHave is now the biggest believer remaining on this board.

You guys WERE big believers (on the pro Leafs side) but converted to Doubting Thomases after game 4.

Tonight will be epic

For all the keystrokes from him, he has yet to actually predict what's going to happen tonight.

I (hope and pray) am hopeful that the absence of Matthews makes this team realize (like last game) that they can't sit back and wait for Matthews to bail them out yet again. So , G-d willing, a team thats ready to play shows up and kicks ass with a convincing win against the rat team Bruins.

Feeling pretty good about tonight. Boston has as many questions going for them as we've got. We are due for a home win too.

Nothing was funnier than his amazement that people had mustaches... In OSHAWA. And he actually thought it was to copy Matthews. Guy really is a diehard if he thinks Matthews invented The Mustache.
he must have taken the afternoon off work, surprised we haven't seen more of him

Even though it’s a well worn movie trope, I do believe there is something to the idea of “willing to go through a wall”

Subban mentioned it in the context of Sheldon Keefe but it doesn’t have to be for the coach. I’m old enough to remember when the Habs went thru a walk in ‘21… it certainly wasn’t for Dominic Ducharme but for Weber and Price, who were gutting out the last ounce of their careers.

This is not true, it's common knowledge that lots of teams and individual players get super amped up to play the Leafs and/or play in Toronto. Remember whathisname, Tucker Poolman or something, the Winnipeg Jets pylon who celebrated a victory over the Leafs like they won the Cup?

Not true, we played the Habs in the playoffs.

The objective evidence (i.e. stats) disagree with your opinion here. This has been documented ad nauseam in this forum previously.

Yup, that's why we acquired Schenn, Boosh, Eddy, etc.! to placate the nerds! exactly.
AND YOU LOST! Why? Because the Habs were willing to kill and the Leafs were not.

It ultimately boils down to which team wants it more than the other. It's not a thing you can quantify. You just know it when you see it and you know it when you don't see it.

We'll see if we see it from the Leafs in about 3 hours.

Bruins win and this board goes on and on about how "Leafy" it all was.

Actually, even if Boston doesn't win you'll probably say that too was "Leafy AF"

Back