• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Canucks 10/24 10:30

So far the Burns-Slavin pairing has been meh. Burns looks like he’s 47 not 37 at times, hopefully just growing pains on a new team.

They’re hammering Jarvis and Svetch and Slavin. Nobody stepping up. TT is a black hole. Staal is not good. We don’t look dangerous aside from that one line. This isn’t worth staying up for.

My two cents on this team so far after six games(I’ve watched all 6 games):
-Aho, Necas, & Svech = excellent, they are carrying the team.
-Necas has been playing with confidence. Totally different player from last year.
-Burns has not impressed me at all. Big, sloppy, & SLOW!!
-Jarvis is trying too hard plus he’s getting thrown around like a rag doll. Sophomore slump? Still too early to say. He definitely is involved every shift.
-Chatfield has been very good
-KK I’m not seeing anything special. 3rd liner at best.
-Staal is missing Nino.
-Slavin, Pesce, & Skjei have been themselves.
-A lot of icing, a lot of icing!
-TT has been invisible.
-Stepan deserves better.
-Marty #48, has looked quicker.
-Noesen is doing what he’s expected to do.
-I was hoping to see Drury make the team….
-PK has carried over from last year’s playoffs. Not impressed.
-PP has either been outstanding or unacceptable. Again, I thought Burns would contribute more. Again, carryover from last year’s playoffs.

I wrote this during the 2nd intermission. Jarvis made a very strong move on the Aho goal. He definitely didn’t get tossed around there!
This has been the typical Canes game, out shooting the opponent by a ton and squeaking out a win.

Take the win but against that Canucks defense the Canes should have done a ton more. The pp was for the most part a disjointed mess, I’m sure Rod will find lots to work on all week in practice. Let’s hope the comfort of home will settle everyone in to play their game better than the last couple on the road.

The Canes stayed in Vancouver and are flying home today. Back at practice tomorrow with the weekend back to back with the Islanders at home and then at the Flyers. After hosting the Caps on Monday, the Canes don’t play another divisional game until November 29 and don’t have another home game in the division until December 18.

I managed to stay awake through the awful 2nd period, but that was it for me. Glad to see we got the win in the 3rd. Not a pretty performance with plenty of passengers (here's looking at you, Staal and Turbo), but our young kids have been a bright spot so far and getting 7 out of 10 points on an extended road trip certainly doesn't stink.

Not gonna be too rough on the guys - 5 games in 14 days on a West Coast trip is abysmal; too much down time.
Turbo will come around, it's 6 games in.
Burns has caught his own mistakes a few times so far this year, he's slower and am hoping he'll be better defensively, but he has 5 points and that's why he's here. I'd take him over TA anytime.
Martinook does look re-energized.
Statsny looked better on line 4 vs Flames, room for improvement here.
Not sure how Skjei makes bad decisions but then covers them so much, but he does.

Once these guys are home and back to a "regular" schedule for a few weeks we'll see some kinks worked out. Hoping Kase can go again soon and that he's doing OK.

Kotkaniemi actually isn't bad on the Svech and Necas line He does the dirty things to help keep them open. Occasionally he has a puck bounce off his face right to JT Miller. don't get me wrong I'd like him to appear on the scoresheet more but he's like the O lineman that's doing his job and doing it well. but you never hear his name.. He's not perfect but his skating is better.

I watched the highlight of Aho's wide open net goal and.../steps on soapbox:

Once again, Mike and Tripp's inane blathering about nothing caused them to almost miss the play altogether. I'm sorry, but just call the damn game especially when something is developing on offense. Tripp can be a decent color guy when reviewing a play that just happened, but his anecdotes that amount to nothing more than name-dropping are neither interesting nor useful in any way.

/steps off soapbox

I watched the highlight of Aho's wide open net goal and.../steps on soapbox:

Once again, Mike and Tripp's inane blathering about nothing caused them to almost miss the play altogether. I'm sorry, but just call the damn game especially when something is developing on offense. Tripp can be a decent color guy when reviewing a play that just happened, but his anecdotes that amount to nothing more than name-dropping are neither interesting nor useful in any way.

/steps off soapbox
It doesn’t help that Maniscalco is consistently 5 seconds behind the play. He leaves too much dead air that Tripp jumps in to fill.

Back