• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes v. Sens 10/11 7:00

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Hello out there, we’re on the air, it’s hockey night tonight!

The roster ended up with 12 forwards, 7 dmen and 2 goalies. And the Canes have a sizable chunk of cap space without using LTIR. The lines shook out where we pretty much expected absent Svech. So we’ll see what happens when he’s back, which probably won’t be until after the State Fair roadie.

Bunting-Aho-Jarvis
Turbo-KK-Necas
Marty-Staal-Fast
Lemieux-Drury-Noesen

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-TDA
Chatfield

When asked if he’s going with 12/6 or 11/7, RBA said “one of those”. Considering he went with the latter in the last preseason game, I’d expect 11/7.

The Sens are a dark horse pick to make the playoffs this year. But they’re starting the season weak down the middle. Josh Norris is still recovering from shoulder surgery and starts the season on IR. Shane Pinto is still unsigned. But they still have Tim Stutzle, coming off a 39 goal, 90 point season. Claude Giroux is coming off a 35 goal season, as is the other Tkachuk. The Sens won the Vladimir Tarasenko sweepstakes, signing him to a 1 year contract. He had 18 goals, 32 assists split between the Blues and Rangers. Joonas Korpisalo was signed to be the starter in goal. He split last season between the Jackets and Kings. He’s backed up by old friend Anton Forsberg.

Bally Sports South is still around and they have the game tonight.

Well, as you guys will recall, I freaking hate dressing 11/7. It's always disjointed and the 7th guy never actually adds anything more important that what a few good 4th line shifts would give you. So, I'm hoping that won't become anything persistent. I'd love to see Turbo and Jarvis get going early ... the former needs it for career reasons and the latter because when Jarvis is going, it tends to lift all boats. The kid is infectious.

And so it begins....

Going into the season with such high expectations is something that I never get used to. I guess it comes from so many years of mediocrity, but that leaky ship sailed in the pre-Brind'Amour era. Let's start this season off with win at home before the long road trip begins. Go Canes!

Forgot to mention…black jerseys tonight. And we’re getting LED rally towels at the door.

RBA wouldn’t commit to how they’re lining up tonight, he said all 19 skaters will take the warmup and then they’ll decide.

Speaking of high expectations ... we all know the Canes aren't going to go undefeated, right? And that they won't win every game a lot to a little?

Right?

Speaking of high expectations ... we all know the Canes aren't going to go undefeated, right? And that they won't win every game a lot to a little?

Right?
I sure would like another one of those great starts we have been spoiled with recently. A nice little 8-1-1 to start the season maybe?

I sure would like another one of those great starts we have been spoiled with recently. A nice little 8-1-1 to start the season maybe?
That would be great, but with the west coast road trip (with a bonus visit to the west coast of Florida on the way home) that's kicking in immediately following the home opener I'm not expecting much out of the first ten games. We'll see.

Maybe 11-7 for the home opener is Rod's way of a tip of the hat to Chatfield who did nothing to deserve a seventh D slot after a solid year last season. This is not like last year when the Jackets came to town for the opener...the Sens are a solid team with lots of skill, this one tonight will not be an easy two points.

Sens only dressing 17 skaters tonight...11F-6D for the Sens, no Norris and no McEwen.

Last edited:
Ottawa doesn't have cap room to add another NHL player without putting someone on LTIR or using an emergency recall. I guess they were not anticipating being down to 11 forwards tonight and didn't have someone the ready to be used as an emergency recall (which would have allowed them to go over the cap, player must have an NHL salary of $1 million or less to be used as an emergency recall). That is kind of shotty GMing in my opinion, but hey, 1 game having to play 11 forwards isn't the end of the world.

Ottawa doesn't want to put Josh Norris on LTIR because he would have to miss at least 10 games, and they think he might be ready sooner than that.

Add that all up, and a team that is very top heavy and short on experienced NHL centers is going to go into tonight giving some of their top 6 some extra shifts. Canes should look to exploit Ottawa's 3rd and 4th line as much as possible.

Ottawa doesn't have cap room to add another NHL player without putting someone on LTIR or using an emergency recall. I guess they were not anticipating being down to 11 forwards tonight and didn't have someone the ready to be used as an emergency recall (which would have allowed them to go over the cap, player must have an NHL salary of $1 million or less to be used as an emergency recall).

Ottawa doesn't want to put Josh Norris on LTIR because he would have to miss at least 10 games, and they think he might be ready sooner than that.

Add that all up, and a team that is very top heavy and short on experienced NHL centers is going to go into tonight giving some of their top 6 some extra shifts. Canes should look to exploit Ottawa's 3rd and 4th line as much as possible.
Norris took the morning skate, he’s probably in the lineup.

Tonight’s officials

Referees:
Chris Rooney (#5), Peter MacDougall (#38)

Linesmen:
Ben O’Quinn (#91), Shandor Alphonso (#52)

Canes were 4-0-1 with Rooney last year and 2-0 with MacDougall. The Sens were 2-3-1 And 5-0-1, respectively. Neither MacDougall nor O’Quinn have ever worked a playoff game

FYI...there will be some new food options in the building tonight, including from The BBQ Lab, Gonza Tacos y Tequila, and The Optimist coffee house. Also, the Chick-fil-A space has been expanded and will offer more menu items.

FYI...there will be some new food options in the building tonight, including from The BBQ Lab, Gonza Tacos y Tequila, and The Optimist coffee house. Also, the Chick-fil-A space has been expanded and will offer more menu items.
Also FYI ... prolly wait a couple games before hitting up anywhere new. The lines for anything new can be bonkers.

They put that Chik-Fil-A right where our go to place for Hot Dog, Fries and Sodas was, which is right near our seats. That Gonza Tacos replaces the old Mexican place that no one was ever at right near our seats too (again, WAS a great spot to grab a quick drink from in between periods because people rarely got food there). I'm not sure yet if I'm happy about these switches. I have a feeling I won't be.

They put that Chik-Fil-A right where our go to place for Hot Dog, Fries and Sodas was, which is right near our seats. That Gonza Tacos replaces the old Mexican place that no one was ever at right near our seats too (again, WAS a great spot to grab a quick drink from in between periods because people rarely got food there). I'm not sure yet if I'm happy about these switches. I have a feeling I won't be.
I’m just glad I can finally get a cup of coffee again (seriously).

Back